• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Hinge Finish

Tequila

Just to let you know that I did try searching for this information, and no luck. Hence the posting here.

What color should the hinges for the hood be painted? Someone told me it should be natural, but trying to confirm whether it should be natural, black, or painted same color as the car?

Thanks
RT

franklinair

How do you obtain that finish/color, and also prevent surface rust?

Neil

Ruppstang

How do you obtain that finish/color, and also prevent surface rust?

Neil

Neil most places that do plating can so it. I think I paid $25 for the pair to be done. It is not hard to get the supplies and do it on your stove. Just do not let you wife catch you. That is why I have a old range in my shop.
For mataintaince I spray with Boshield.
Marty

dalorzo_f

I do this;

- Blast super clean with very light media
- Air blast off any residue, while working the hinge (wearing gloves or holding with a clean rag)
- wax and grease remover
- soak in fresh phosphoric acid solution for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours
- remove and immediately air balst completely dry
- hit with penetrating oil (I use Penetrene, WD40 can be used in a pinch but it does nto work real well long term in my experience)

I have tried a few nuts and bold in hot motor oil, new multi-vis to just below smoking point, and it works OK. Do not see much difference to the "cold" method. Have been considering an electric thermostat controlled hot plate and big stainless pan for this but have not tried it, have heard the heated phosphoric process works a bit better.

The will eventually rust again. Regular maintenance with more Penetrene can keep it at bay, but hard to do without taking them off or getting a bit of a mess under the hood...

Some examples of nuts and bolts I have done here...

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,24299.0.html

Marty is it the T-9 that you use? I can pick up a 12 oz spray can for $35 here...