• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hi Guys New Here

Bryce

Hi I am in the process of restoring a CS and I really would appreciate some help on the engine detail. Does anyone have some pictures of the engine out of the car showing all the details. Mine had aftermarket stuff and I would really like to make it as close to original as possible. I'm looking for finishes, routing, etc.... Oh mine is a J code with A/C and drum brakes out front.
Thanks in advance!!

Bryce

PFSlim

Welcome to the site Bryce. Hope someone can help you out with the pictures you have requested. Several very nice GT/CS with original engine setups on this site.

Good Luck

Paul

franklinair

Are you removing the engine to detail it? Then you can sanitize & detail the engine compartment to really make everything look crisp.
Engine:(National Parts Depot) NPD# AP-EBD
Bell Housing: NPD# AP-CA 'Alumi Blast'
Hood Hinges & Springs NPD #AP-CG 'Cast Blast'
Engine Compartment (Don't laugh) Wal-Mart Rust Control Satin

These are all aerosols, easy to use. BE SURE all surfaces are clean & oil free. After you've cleaned all the surfaces, spray (mist) rubbing alcohol on the surfaces and wipe down with paper towels- not cloth/cotton to assure no oily residue remains.
Where are you located?

Neil

P.S. WELCOME!!

aemoo28

Welcome, Bryce. This is the perfect place for help in restoring your CS.

Tell us more about your car. Color, other options, etc.

dalorzo_f

Welcome fellow new owner!

On the OEM finishes for the Phosphate and Oil items (hinges, latch, hood springs, etc), shop around your area to see who may provide the OEM finish, its not a hard process and usually pretty cheap from what I see (its a bit pricey here in Oz). If you have access to a media blaster clean them to spotless that way, it will slightly alter the final finish from factory stamped, then blow clean with compressed air immediately before delivering them to the shop (if you go that route). Avoid fingerprints, handle with gloves or clean rags!

The Cast Blast is a good product, I've used it a few times, but does look "painted" as is a bit dark for my liking if you are really going for "correct".

It will last longer and provide less maintenance issues (reoiling) than the correct OEM P&O (S2) finish.

The engine will be the same as any other for the time/plant so look about for general restortion info, this area is not specific to the Cal Special.

Enjoy!

Ruppstang

Here are a few pics of our High Country Special stuff that is waiting for the body. Marty

Attachments

• HCS Restroation 001.JPG
    HCS Restroation 001.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 53
  • HCS Restroation 002.JPG
    HCS Restroation 002.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 56
  • HCS Restroation 003.JPG
    HCS Restroation 003.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 43
  • HCS Restroation 004.JPG
    HCS Restroation 004.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 47

CougarCJ

Marty, what are the numbers on your two air conditioning brackets?

The pedestal should have a casting number, not sure on the idler pulley.

The idler pulley looks funny for a 1968, might be the angle of the picture. The arm going into the pedestal looks like it is cast iron? picture makes the arm look a bit too long. Just curious.

Ruppstang

The base # is C7ZA-2882-C the idler is cast and has no number. I am reasonably sure it is a 67 part because it only has 2 attach points. I have been looking for a 68 with 3 attach points. When I took the pictures I had not found the correct vertical compresser mount and idler pully. I bought 3 before I finely got the right one. Most do not have part numbers that makes them hard to identify off the engine. Marty

PFSlim

Bryce - Marty (from above) is a true concourse guy. If you want your engine to be councourse - Marty can really help out!!

I agree - very nice Marty.

Paul

OP
OP
B

Bryce

To all who have responded!! What a great bunch of guys!! Thanks so much for the help. You guys Rock!! I have been on some forums with other projects and people are down right mean. They seem to look for a reason to blow you about about something. I'm in Ga. I went to visit a shop in Ga. called Mustang Central or Central Mustang. They are restoring a CS and they have been a great help. The owner Alan recomended some products that they use for engine compartments, its a base clear system. They spray regular black and then cover that with a clear that flattens out to a semi gloss look. He said its very durable and will resist staining and oils and gas, very easily maintained. They had just done the engine compartment in a 71 SCJ Mustang that was amazing looking. So I'll try and do that. I hate to bother them with a bunch of questions since I'm doing this myself, but I learned alot from the tour Alan gave me. They are getting ready to paint the CS they are working on. I want to go see it when their done. I have taken mine all apart and will rebuild the 302 engine and do the engine compartment. I just want to do it right so your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the pix and advice guys I'll have many more questions.
Bryce

Mosesatm

Where in Geogia? Are you near Atlanta?

Last edited: