• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help identifying is my vehicle is a California Special

bwil

Hello everyone, so I've been thinking of selling my 1968 Ford Mustang (GT/CS?). I've owned it for over 15 years and have no idea what it might be worth. Also was looking to see if anyone can help me identify if my vehicle is indeed a California Special. Vin code starts "8T01". Thanks in advance!

CougarCJ

Your Mustang is not a California Special or GT/CS, as viewed from your pictures. It also can not be a GT/CS because of the VIN number. Your 1968 Mustang was born in Metuchen, New Jersey. All 1968 GT/CS Mustangs were built in San Jose, and would have a VIN starting 8R01...

OP
OP
B

bwil

Thanks for the quick response cougar, any idea what model This may be then? Don't really have any information about it additional other then it's a 289 V8. Any thoughts of what it might be worth?

robert campbell

The Sprint and the GT option carried with it the "C" stripe that is on your Mustang. Your car also has the Fog Lights that was part of the GT option in 1968. The next character in your VIN would be helpful. 8T01 and then (T,C, J, S, R, X). To have came with a GT option it would need the J code and above in the alphabet to be authentic.

Your rear valance has been modified to have the cutouts and trim rings of a 65,66 GT Mustang with the dual exhaust "trumpets". In my mine a kinda tasteful modification that looks great when done properly. The trumpet does not seem to there, and if the exhaust is a bit in front of the valance it can lead to exhaust smell in the car.

The fact that someone did this might lead one to suspect the entire car has been tastefully modified, but not authentic off the assembly line. IMO the modifications do not detract from the value of the car. The rust bubbles on the trunk lid look kinda bad. The 68 trunk lid is known for rusting out in the lower corners near the quarter panels. Surface rust is not bad, but bubbles note either rust through or poor paint preparation. Rust through is the worst.

What is the next character in your VIN number?

Rob

OP
OP
B

bwil

Great info guys, thank you! Rob, the next character is a "C"

franklinair

I once did a similar exhaust mod on a '68 convertible, using the '65 exhaust trim rings.

Neil

Attachments

• DSC00450.jpg
    DSC00450.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21

robert campbell

Dad,
Nice job on the exhaust. I LIKE it!!!

BWIL,
With it being a C-code (289 2 barrel engine) in 1968, to the best of my knowledge, it would not have been allowed to have the GT option from the factory. Of course some dealers did some add ons that murky the water.

With that in mind, the stripes and the fog lights were added on after it left the factory IMO. The exhaust cutout outs were also added after the assembly line.

From just the pictures, it looks like a very nice car and has some very tasteful modifications that in my mind enhance its value. From pictures it is very hard to tell the condition of the car from a rust standpoint. Based on it being an East Coast car, it is a candidate for rust, but not always if it was taken care of. But I am sure you know that.

I would take this car to a reputable paint shop and pay to have them put it on a lift and access the rust from the bottom up. May cost you 100 bucks or so, but you can take pictures and get a third opinion. With that in mind you can fairly represent to car to potential buyers. It provides you peace of mind and would allow us to zero in on an asking price.

At the same time you can market the car as is and it is buyer beware. I look at cars all the time and the ones with lots of rust are so easy to get into more than they are worth. But at the same time I have seen people buy some cars for way more than I would pay.

For me honesty is a premium and I would price it based on its true condition to an unknowing buyer. But that is me.

I own a Gold Nugget Special (GNS) with nearly all original Ford fiberglass as a GT/CS would have. And some research has identified it as a car pulley off the line and converted at the factory. But it started its life as a GNS and until definitively prove that it was pulled off the line and converted, I always call it a GNS and not a GT/CS (more than likely never). And if I sold it that it how it would be sold. A GNS with an interesting history.

Rob

Mosesatm

Rob,
The 'Sprint' came with C-stripes and fog lights but they were not GTs.

OP
OP
B

bwil

This is great info, thank you everyone! Really appreciate all the help with this today!