• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Has anyone ever seen this car?

sctg86

Hi All
Iam new to this site and have been lurking around.
What a great site.
We are located in British Columbia Canada.
My wife and I have been looking for a 68 gtcs or hcs for approx 3 months now. ( kids are finally on their own ).
We are looking for a complete driver and close to original as possible.
We stumbled across a gentlemen that has a car for sale.
Can anyone tell me if it is in the registry or has anyone ever seen this car?
Don't know how to attach the marti report so here it is.
8-1968
R-Built in San Jose
01-Mustang Hard top
J-302-4v
58,963rd vehicle at San jose
65B- Mustang Hardtop
R-Highland Green
6G Ivy Gold Decor Buckets seats
29D schedule for build: april 29, 1968
72 San jose ordering district
7 3.25 standard axle ratio
w- c-4 cruise-o-matic
Order type Company lease plan
Dso item# 5674
Dealer# 722K
Ford Motor Company
SanJose district sla off
San Jose CA
The gentlemen is the 3rd owner and says the car has 40000 original miles.
Never sold at a dealership.Purchased from ford by one of their execs.It was supposedly a brochure car. It supposedly came off the line and was modified from green interior and exterior to blue exterior and black interior.
Enough blabbing for now.
The price tag is approx $25000.
What do you gals/guys think?
I will be leaving on a trip tommorrow and returning on 24th.
Iam awaiting pics and will forward them when I get them.
Hope I posted in the right section?
Thanks for your time
Jerry

OP
OP
S

sctg86

Sorry forgot to add the bottom part of the marti report.
California Special
gt equipment group
c-4 cruise-o-matic
f70x14 wide oval tires
White sidewall nylon tires
Console
Power steering
am/8 track sterio
Interior decor group
tinted glass
deluxe seat belts
car actually produced on april 30th-one day behind schedule
Jerry

sam

Highland green.................great color. Any pictures?

gtcs1

marti attached

Sorry forgot to add the bottom part of the marti report.
California Special
gt equipment group
c-4 cruise-o-matic
f70x14 wide oval tires
White sidewall nylon tires
Console
Power steering
am/8 track sterio
Interior decor group
tinted glass
deluxe seat belts
car actually produced on april 30th-one day behind schedule
Jerry

see attached marti

Attachments

• 8R01J158963.jpg
    8R01J158963.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 60

classicsguy

Not only a Great color but also a TRUE GT!! Not all GT/CS are true GT cars as many of you already know.

franklinair

So, is it Green as the Marti indicates, or Blue?
Looks like a NICE car. Still would need to inspect cowls, floorpans, frame. Depending on location, perhaps one of our members could check it out.

Neil

Mustanglvr

Wow, a company car, low miles and very well optioned. I'm sure it will be worth alot more just based on that. Very nice. Would love to see pics!

OP
OP
S

sctg86

Neil
The car is blue with black interior.
Iam not sure what the blue color is, but it is a dark blue.
Iam awaiting pics and will post when I get them.
Might need some help to post them.
Not to computer friendly.
Jerry

robert campbell

Jerry,
I am in the Seattle area. This sounds like a very valuable car with its history. It is extremely well optioned and if truley 40k miles, WOW! Neil is correct to inspect it well on the underside. Especially the frame rails and floor pans. But I bet this car is very solid if it is 40k and been garaged.

A good trick for the "cowl" area is to have one person use a flashlight and open the door and look up under the dash into the outermost area under the dash. Then have another person poor about a quart of water slowly into the vent area closest to the fender. The water should pour out on your foot under the car and no water should be evident under the dash. Poor slowly. Then do the other side.

If you want a second opinion I may be able to help. But sometimes that can be insulting to an owner that firmly know the condition of his car. But....

This sounds like a very great car with and interesting history!

Rob

J_Speegle

Sounds like an interesting car. Please understand though that this does not often add allot of value to a car just makes for a nice story IMHO ;)

"Never sold at a dealership.Purchased from ford by one of their execs.It was supposedly a brochure car. "

Not sure why an exec would lend his car out for a brochure use when they could have just taken another one off the line for the purpose like normal. And that late in the production period wonder why Ford would be making additional brochures (end of April). Lost of reasons IMHO to take all stories (as usual) with a grain of salt and consider all possibiliies.

Good luck

gofastguy

Lost of reasons IMHO to take all stories (as usual) with a grain of salt and consider all possibiliies.

It would be even more unusual if the exec let them paint and change out the interior of his brand new car! Whenever someone selling tries to tell me something "fishy" it makes me not believe any of the other things they say (like the 40K)...

But in the seller's defense, everything may be true and/or could be the story that came with the car when he bought it which he believes to be true. I'd be very hesitant to pay over market value for the car.

CougarCJ

Clearly says "Company Lease Plan" on the Marti.

Lease cars would generally not have any new car sale documentation as far as I know, since they would be classified as "used" at the end of a lease. Same as now.

Interesting story, though.

robert campbell

Pull up a door sill plate and the paint story will be revealed! If it was one color and painted another, I bet you will be able to tell. Five minutes of work will tell a huge story. If the repaint is true then the other parts start to fall into place.

Of course I am a glass half full guy and a trusting individual. But I do my homework....

Rob

OP
OP
S

sctg86

Here are some pics of the car.
Jerry

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 35
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 42
  • M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 43
  • M4.jpg
    M4.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 37
  • M5.jpg
    M5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 36
  • M6.jpg
    M6.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 40
  • M7.jpg
    M7.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 39
  • M8.jpg
    M8.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 47

gtcs1

Here are some pics of the car.
Jerry

Isn't it the car we saw a few times on ebay with the rocker moldings upside down?

The trunk coating is "different" Even the fuel tank has been coated ?

A 40,000 miles car may not require a restoration like on this one. Could it have turn over by 1 click (140,000) ?

franklinair

This does look like the one we discussed before (E-bay?) with the upside down rocker moldings. Obviously a re-paint. Whoever did it is probably not all that familiar with Mustang refurbishment- (rocker moldings, trunk coating). It IS a handsome car, worthy of a closer look by someone knowledgeable, but $25K is way too high (IMHO) in today's market.
Not knowing the buyer or seller location makes it difficult to offer assistance in evaluating the car, although I can understand Jerry's reluctance to divulge that info at this time. Perhaps Jerry would consider contacting one of our members to see if there's someone nearby & available to assist/evaluate. We're all over the country- N,S,E,W.

Neil