• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Has anyone ever hidden their antenna in the trunk?

obwan93001

I've been afraid that one day I'm gonna put my dunce cap on and break my repop orig style telescopic antenna. I've almost done it a few times putting on or taking off a car cover that I even customized a special portal for the antenna on aka popped a small hole in it then ripped it wide open taking it off so got the good ol' roll of duct tape out and made a square patch to cover the rips on both sides then used a small punch to make a hole then carterized it w/a hot poker. Works great now :grin: but I am still stupid enough to break it one day soon. So w/all that said has anyone tried hiding their antenna in the trunk seeing the decklid is mostly fiberglass? I've read somewhere how a or some Shelby owners have hidden their antennas in the fiberglass nose of their cars and get great reception due to no or less metal. I'm not sure if they were original types or one of those aftermarket "hidden" types but is sounds to me that the same concept might apply for us CS and HCS owners who'd like to hide their antennas.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried this and the results. If no one has I'll give it a shot and share the results here.

Thanks!

Oscar

Ruppstang

My best freind has a 65 shelby clone that he mounted the antenna to the under side of the RH fender. It works great and he did not need to relocate the wire. Marty

rvrtrash

I haven't done this, but I would guess you'll have less reception in the trunk since it's surrounded by metal, except the trunk lid. Radio waves are directional. If I felt the need to try, I'd place the antenna in the opening at the back of the lid, where the spoiler is and where Shelby's have the trunk light. That way it would be above the surrounding metal. Run the cable back to the hinge and then route normally to your head unit. Since it will be horizontal instead of vertical, you'll lose reception sooner, but I don't image that will be a huge problem in SoCal.

Steve

Mosesatm

I've been afraid that one day I'm gonna put my dunce cap on and break my repop orig style telescopic antenna. I've almost done it a few times putting on or taking off a car cover that I even customized a special portal for the antenna on aka popped a small hole in it then ripped it wide open taking it off so got the good ol' roll of duct tape out and made a square patch to cover the rips on both sides then used a small punch to make a hole then carterized it w/a hot poker. Works great now :grin: but I am still stupid enough to break it one day soon. So w/all that said has anyone tried hiding their antenna in the trunk seeing the decklid is mostly fiberglass? I've read somewhere how a or some Shelby owners have hidden their antennas in the fiberglass nose of their cars and get great reception due to no or less metal. I'm not sure if they were original types or one of those aftermarket "hidden" types but is sounds to me that the same concept might apply for us CS and HCS owners who'd like to hide their antennas.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried this and the results. If no one has I'll give it a shot and share the results here.

Thanks!

Oscar

If you can hear the radio the exhaust isn't loud enough.

franklinair

Mine has an electric antenna. Retracts when power is off. That's about the extent of my 'resto-mod' efforts.:cool:

Neil

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Haahahaaa. Back in the day I used to catch so much crap for always listening to my car's radios so much and so loud that I couldn't hear the warning tabs on the brake pads scraping on the rotors.

Music has always been a big part of my life since I was young and have to have something to keep me from going sane! I'll just crank it up to 11 if I can't hear it!

Neil, did you run into any clearance issues w/the electric retractable antenna in your RH fender? I assume that's where you installed. I think I have a good working one in a parts stash from either my '89 or my '95 Tbird. Kept some parts before they were traded in. I'll look for it and see if I can make it work, if not I'll just be careful w/the mast until I decide what to do. I might still try hiding it in the trunk just to satisfy that thought.

Thanks guys!

Oscar

franklinair

No clearance problems with the pwr antenna. No car cover problem- when power is Off antenna retracts (powered from Accy power).

Neil

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

I've hid a lot of things in the trunk but never an antenna!

HAAHHAAA. Reminds me of the days when we used to hide a person or three in a car's trunk so they didn't have to pay to get into the drive-in movie! Or the Mexican beer and fireworks from my old jaunts down to Rosarito and Ensenada!

I am going to look into a power retractable antenna, thanks Neil and nfrntau for your info on not having any issues w/your installs.

Oscar