• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Lighting Problem

bigbob30

Hello everyone, I haven't been here in a long time, but its good to see this site is as popular as ever. Well might as well cut to the point. Recently i was rear ended and had the back of my car pretty messed up. But we ended up getting it fix and it looked better than ever. Sadly, something is wrong with the lighting in the car. The tail lights are to dim to even notice, tho they do light up. Same goes for when the blinker is turned on. However heres the real kicker, if you turn on the headlights A) the tail lights do not work at all B) the head lights constantly flicker and C) turn off the radio periodically. Now i realy cant figure out whats going on but any sort of advice would be great. Thanks everyone and i know i can count on you guys for some great help.

68sunlitgold

Bibbob,
you have a bad ground with the back lights that is why they are dim and "other" electical systems dim or go off because of it. Clean all the grounds real good, if you repainted the back panel, make sure where the wire grounds go there is no paint but metal.

Doug

PFSlim

I agree as well. Sounds like a grounding problem. However, when the headlight switch is on, you say you are not getting tail lights.

I would troubleshoot the dim lights by looking for grounding problems. Try several different places with jumpers if you have to. After you get bright lights, if the headlight switch thing is still there, you might want to think about replacing the headlight switch. I have found that the headlight switch is a source of quite a few problems.

Just my thoughts.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bigbob30

the grouds you all reccomended moving or redoing worked like a charm. the tail lights are brighter than ever! haha well there was the good news. i am still getting the problem with the tailights when i turn on the headlights. thanks for the advice everyone. and PFSlim i will be lookinh into the head light switch once i finish posting this. one more little thing, if my head lights are on, my radio turns on and off....just a little more clues to help solve this frustrating mystery! thanks everyone

Mosesatm

It's possible that the bad grounds caused too much of a current draw through the headlight switch, thereby overloading and damaging the switch.

PFSlim

Yep. Arlie is right. The headlight switch is your next stop. You can remove it without much trouble. Loosen your heater control panel on left side of dash. It will provide you with better access. Order you part and get good quality. Remove and reinstall.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bigbob30

alright well i replaced the hadlight switch....but it did nothing. i have confirmed the noise is coming from within the head light swtich, but something must be tweaking out in there. im going crazy guys!! i check all visibl grounds and cleaned them but still nothing, im at a dead en right now