• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Glove box detail...

dalorzo_f

Not really GT/CS related but more "68".

I am finishing the EXP and installed the glove box door and latch. The one on the car (Dearborn build, May 68) has a stainless steel trim ring around the glove box button. None of my other 68's have it (all San Jose) I can not tell if it was a plant thing, never there or a PO removed it, or it just fell off long ago on the SJ cars.

Anyone know if at any time this was a standard item, plant specific, a running change (would seem to be odd to be added after the strike as a "more-cost item" in the face of the cost cutting and removal of other items), part of some option.. or a PO tweak?

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Hmm... 86 reads... zero feedback... let me rephrase in yes/no form to see if this is wildly unique or not...

Does anyone have a stainless steel trim ring around then glove box button on their '68?

Maine gt/cs

My button has a chrome or stainless cap on the button itself but nothing around the button on the door itself. I asked a friend of mine that has been doing mustangs for 25 plus years and he seems to think that deluxe interiors might have had a trim ring on the door itself but not positive. I have had 3 68 coupes and none of them had a trim ring on the door itself. Hope this helps out a little.

Tim

franklinair

I've had a couple that have the glovebox trim ring, but I'm not sure what criteria was used for their install. I like the look.

Neil

Tequila

Yes, Mine does have the ring around the button. Mine is a C code GT/CS.

By the way, I was having all sorts of issues logging into this site yesterday and even this AM, may be that could explain lack of response to your qn. :(

robert campbell

just got back from the lake. My 67 and 68 Mustangs bot have the interior décor group option (deluxe interior). The both have the trim ring.

Interesting thread. I might think that it was part of the deluxe interior option. Just when you think you have seen it all.... I have never noticed or paid attention to this before.

Rob

franklinair

The CS I acquired from WA has the standard interior, and has the glovebox ring installed.:confused:

Neil

stangfan

After 46 years, it is possible that some glove box doors could have been swapped out from other cars. Just a thought. :wink:

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

It is kinda odd as my first 3 did not have it, all San Jose cars, two early one late. The Dearborn coupe for the EXP had it (did not recall it, but found it in the bag when disassembling and cleaning the latch for reinstall). It is a pretty vanilla car except for the X code bit, no interior décor or any other option more flashy than an AM. And seemed odd a detail like that would have been added post strike.

be interested in feedback from other '68 owners to see if there is a trend that can be found.

and
Just when you think you have seen it all....
I think of it this way . Say someone has seen 10 totally new verified original cars for reference every day, 365/yr, for the last 20 years... that would be a lot, right? Adds up to 73,000 cars. Wow lots!!!

Assuming we're talking "Mustangs" here an focus on only the first 4 years, they made about 2 million 65-68 so you've seen 3.6% of the cars made. Less than one in 25. Not really a basis to state what always "was". Assume that's only 68s and you still see less than 1 in 4, enough for a fair representation of process and parts, but still a sample which leaves a lot of grey.

My view is there is always more to learn and surprises as to what was done and when are still out there.

Batgirl89

I assumed they all came with it, because the little gap & it looks unfinished with out it. But it seems to always be missing. That being said, We have purchased several 67 & 68 mustangs, that did not have the SS trim ring and I quickly purchase one for the car. We do have an all original 68 mustang "sprint" it does have it, made in San Jose

CougarCJ

I assumed they all came with it, because the little gap & it looks unfinished with out it. But it seems to always be missing. That being said, We have purchased several 67 & 68 mustangs, that did not have the SS trim ring and I quickly purchase one for the car. We do have an all original 68 mustang "sprint" it does have it, made in San Jose

I agree that it looks 'unfinished' and should have the trim ring. Does anyone have a locking glove box door? Not sure that they came on many Mustangs. I will be putting a locking button on my GT/CS, with the trim ring.

gscott

My 68 FB had it and now my 68 GTCS has it as well. I believe they're easy to pop off sometimes just closing the door hard
and many PO's didn't bother to re install them.

somethingspecial

I believe they're easy to pop off sometimes just closing the door hard
and many PO's didn't bother to re install them.

I would be willing to bet this is the winning statement. I had a locking glove box door in my old J code coupe, no ring. I salvaged a glove door from a 68' going to scrap and it had the ring, nothing unusual about the car, standard interior, non locking, etc. My March 28th GT/CS has no ring, my Apr. 5th CS has one, but I added it, both CSs are non locking. Again, I would be willing to bet they were subject to falling off when glove door was slammed. JMHO.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
My July 17 HCS has no ring. Standard interior.

2014-10-12 09.18.58.jpg

But my '72 Bronco has a ring around it. I'm sure that helps clear things up. :grin:

Ruppstang

I just got back from the MCA national show in Savannah.
All 67-68s had the trim ring. As mentioned above they did fall off very easy.
The locking one was part of the interior décor group option, I have one on the 67 GTA and one the 68 HCS.
One other interesting fact in this area is that the button on a 67 is square and the 68 has more rounded edges.
Marty

stangfan

My local parts guy sells Scott Drake. They make the bezel, so I have one coming. That glove box door looks so incomplete now that I know there should be one on there.

:grin: