• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Funny street Names

di81977

Not street names, but in Colorado there are towns named:

Erie
Hygiene

p51

Mosesatm said:
No street names but there is a bar in Sabin, MN called "The Crow Bar" (I have an official Crow Bar clock and a sweat shirt) and a beauty salon in Okanogan, WA called the "Wak-N-Yak".
Once heard of an establishment called the "Fubar and Grill"
(For those who dont know, Fubar is a military term similar to Snafu, both
of which have a precise meaning)

Also, there is (was?) a bar in Tempe, AZ call Bushwackers. The two
bathrooms were marked "Bush" and "Wackers"

Mustanglvr

I used to live in Hoquiam, Washington. There is a town nearby called Humptulips. Washington has alot of funny Indian names. I used to live by the Quinault Indian Reservation by a town called Moclips. Ah, the memories of living a block from the Pacific ocean and going clam digging every day. I know I tend to ramble, lol.

Mosesatm

Pronouncing "Puyallup" is still the best way to separate the locals from the visitors in Western Washington.

And so our east coast friends don't stand out like sore thumbs when they visit the west; please remember that Oregon is pronounced "Oreegun". Just remember that they carry guns there, they are not gone.

Mustanglvr

I was wondering how that was pronounced. I`ve been warning my kids about trying to cover their Minnesota accents for when we move there. I worry that they might not fit in right away.

Mosesatm

Long-time locals may also pronounce it "Orugun" but that takes years of practice and shouldn't be attempted by a newbie.

Perkchiro

And if you native born, you are an Oregonian. I took my schooling in Portland and my daughter was born there. There's a joke about Oregonians having webbed feet because there's so much rain. Go Oregon Ducks!

Mustanglvr

Oh Gee, I guess I`ll fit right in. I have webbed toes on both feet. I know, I`m a freak.

OP
OP
marie68csmustangs

marie68csmustangs

Mosesatm said:
Pronouncing "Puyallup" is still the best way to separate the locals from the visitors in Western Washington.

And so our east coast friends don't stand out like sore thumbs when they visit the west; please remember that Oregon is pronounced "Oreegun". Just remember that they carry guns there, they are not gone.

And the west coast people we stick out when we go to the south.. I remember when I went to North Carolina - the accent there was so thick.

Marie

Mosesatm

Some rural Minnesotans like to quote an old newspaper headline that they swear is true, "Fertile woman dies in Climax".

I do not know if the headline is true.

Diesel Donna

Mosesatm said:
Some rural Minnesotans like to quote an old newspaper headline that they swear is true, "Fertile woman dies in Climax".

I do not know if the headline is true.

What a way to go! LOL!!!

Mosesatm

According to the web there is a Climax, MN and there is a Fertile, MN, and Googling, "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax" returns a bunch of references to the infamous headline but no actual scan of the headline or even what paper it was in. I think it's an urban myth.

http://fertilebeltrami.k12.mn.us/

http://www.climax.k12.mn.us/Communities/climax.html

The following is from A Prairie Home Companion

"It wouldn't surprise me, though, if now that I've stirred this pot someone did write and say they had gotten into huge trouble for some careless but innocent act of writing. And a famous example from Minnesota comes immediately to mind. It was published in a weekly paper in the northwest quadrant of the state, and I can't say what kind of repercussions it may have brought to the author but there must have been some. The town of Fertile, population 853, sits about 19 miles southeast of Crookston on state highway 32; Climax, with 273 listed residents, sits to the west of there on US 75, some thirty miles away. An elderly lady from the former small town expired in the latter, leading to an obituary caption in the paper that read, in bold letters: "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax." Probably the longest-lived journalistic gaffe in the entire state, and one that must have brought at least mortification to its author. You'd hope so anyway."

This is from some web-site I found

Subject: Headlines
The message about the headline in an East Anglia newspaper that read: "Little Snoring Man Marries Seething Woman" reminded me of one from a small town newspaper in northern Minnesota. It read "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax" referring of course to two nearby towns with those names. I can't help but think how her neighbors in Embarrass must have felt though.

And finally a web-site that talks about a number of towns with funny names
http://www.poynter.org/forum/default.asp?id=18085