• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 front shocks with shelby modification

retroman99

has anybody had issues with installing new front shocks with the Shelby performance modification. ie lowered the upper control arm attach holes. my shocks seem to be to short. I checked them at the auto parts store with another set just to see if I had the right ones. and the length was the same. the issue I'm having is with the car jacked up and wheels off the shock tower cap installed the lower end of the shock does not reach the seat. I was expecting to have compress the shock to attach it to the shock tower but the way it sits now I need to compress the spring to get the shock on. I'm concerned that the shock should have more travel than the suspension.

dalorzo_f

Nope, did it on 2 cars recently and no issues. I always install them with the wheels on the ground as I find its easier to get a socket on the lower mounting nuts in that configuration.

I think I noticed the same thing, but did not worry about travel as under load/driving I figure full drop of the tire is highly unlikely (unless you are doing a Dukes of Hazzard flying car.. ok, we'll use the Bullitt chase scene instead... :wink:).

I can't be sure my memory is correct, but think even original shocks would have the same issue, but maybe not... I know with it on the ground the Bilsteins I use stuk up way high and had to be pressed down a long way to bolt in.

2c worth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

retroman99

thank you I went ahead and put a jack under the hub and compressed the spring it gave me enough clearance to attach the shock. not sure how you would do it with the wheels attached I had hard enough time with them off. but thank you all was a bit nervous -- a simple job should have only taken me less than 1 hour and I spent half the day messing around with it.

dalorzo_f

I find there is just enough room for me to lie on the flor and slide under the front fender to access the lower studs with the pony on its hooves.... A 1/4" drive deep socket with a long extension reaches the nuts...

And a half a day for a simple job is about my pace too! A blessed moment when you stop after 5-10 minutes and go... wow... that went as I expected... and got done quick.... what went wrong!! :wink: