• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fog Light Question?????

Joe Burch

which foglight mounting brackets are correct the ones on the pedastals or the bracket that sticks out of the grill because my car has both?! and it was hit in the front so i did a full body and paint only thing left is the grill.
NEED HELP PLEASE:icon_lol:

68 special

It depends on which forlights your car came from the factory with. Marchals were mounted to the bracket in the grill and the Lucas were mounted on the pedestals attached to the wide grill piece and the stone guard.The ones I've seen with Lucas have the wiring run thru the marchal brackets. I don't remember the date of the recall on the Marchals, but the brackets were retained in the grill. I believe there are some other posts pertaining to this issue. A Marti report might be a way to find out or by the biuld date of your car. I know this isn't much, but hope it helps.

Bret

CobraMan

Joe,

I'm not certain so please verify this information I'm about to provide. If your car was produced April and prior months, you should have Marchales. I believe after the 4th month of production year, Ford caught onto a potential fire issue and sent out the recall letters.

I'm also curious what the reports actually reflect on the number of reported fires.

Hope this leads you down the right road.

BroadwayBlue

From what I know from reading Paul's books and this site, is that the recall was due to California regulations, not due to fires.

The Marchal Foglights were determined to be unacceptable according to California State regulations.

I think they felt they were too bright for street use.

hicountrybob

From what I know from reading Paul's books and this site, is that the recall was due to California regulations, not due to fires.

The Marchal Foglights were determined to be unacceptable according to California State regulations.

I think they felt they were too bright for street use.

Right on, and I've never heard of this FIRE thing either. Where did this come from, anyway. Can you recall?

P

PNewitt

I wonder, too. I never heard about any fires from Marchal lights.

Could you shed some light (pun) on this? I'd like ot know where that story came from. I've never heard of any unusual overload problems with the relays either--from the Marchals.

I was told that the State of Calif. deemed the Marchals as "too bright". They also didn't like the center-mounted high beams on the '67 Shelbys (nor did they like the running lights on the '67 Shelby upper scoops).

I was told that it also a supply problem, getting those lights from France, so they went to Lucas.

Paul N.

somethingspecial

April 26th is the change over date on the Lucas lights. If the car was built before this date, it would be correct with either Marshals or Lucas. If it was built on or after April 26th, Lucas is the only light correct for the car. Marshal fog light brackets were left in place as the grills were already assembled.

When you put the Lucas lights back on, make sure the pedistal holes are drilled in the correct spot, and use the correct mounting hardware, High Country Bob can probably help you out with that if you don't have the original pedistals. (Keep in mind during the recall, a lot of dealers didn't know how to mount the lights, and they ended up on the square mounts, and not the round pedistals which lifted the light to the center of the grill). If the Fog light brackets were damaged, you can get real quality brackets from Delta Bay Mustang in Pittsburg, Ca. They are about $70.00 a pair, but are correct.

Good luck. Mike

ponyboy

Marchal lights installation

Hey everyone, i'm finally re-installing my Marchal lights and had a question. Each light was installed with the spacers in different positions so i'm trying to find out the correct installation. Paul's picture in the book is a little hard to see. Does the lock washer go on the nut side? One was installed light,small spacer,long spacer, then it goes into bracket, then washer an nut. Or is it suppose to be light, black spacer(long), short spacer,lock washer, and then only the nut once it goes through the bracket. Anyone out there with the Marchals please let me know how yours are installed. Thanks, Rich