• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Exhaust Question

Tequila

Hi everyone,
I am still trying to find a suitable exhaust system for 68 GT/CS. Some of the systems online says not suitable for cars without exhaust pipe cutouts in the rear valence.

Did all the CS/GT cars come with the cutouts? Mine for some reason does not have the cutout even though I have the Marti report proving it's a true GT/CS. I have seen pictures of GT/CS on this site with the cutouts and without the cut outs.

I would like to add a nice system but since most of them are designed for cars with this cutout, I am not sure what to do. How about the ones with the tips that point down? Would that clear the valence? Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks

BroadwayBlue

Not all GT/CS cars came with the cutouts.

Only a true GT (GT/CS or not) would have come from the factory with the dual exhaust and cutouts. A GT/CS is not necessarily a GT unless the Marti indicates it is.
Also in 68 all Mustangs had to be at least a 302 to get the GT option.

Many times the cutouts have been added during restorations/modifications.

I've owned 2 GT/CS cars. A 302 and a 289 neither was a GT from the factory. My 302 didn't have the cutouts and on the 289 a previous owner added the cutout valance. On the 302 without the cutout a previous owner added a dual exhaust and ended the exhaust before the valance and under the car.

Unless someone has specific pics I would browse the gallery and take a look at what others have.

If I misstated anything please correct me everyone. Thanks !

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Not all GT/CS cars came with the cutouts.

Only a true GT (GT/CS or not) would have come from the factory with the dual exhaust and cutouts. A GT/CS is not necessarily a GT unless the Marti indicates it is.
Also in 68 all Mustangs had to be at least a 302 to get the GT option.

Many times the cutouts have been added during restorations/modifications.

I've owned 2 GT/CS cars. A 302 and a 289 neither was a GT from the factory. My 302 didn't have the cutouts and a previous owner added the cutout valance. On the 302 without the cutout a previous owner added a dual exhaust and ended the exhaust before the valance and under the car.

Unless someone has specific pics I would browse the gallery and take a look at what others have.

If I misstated anything please correct me everyone. Thanks !

+1 Marty

franklinair

As stated & confirmed, only GT optioned cars had the dual exhaust & valance cutouts. Here's a photo of a NON GT model that the owner (me) added dual exhaust with the cutout flange & correct tips.

Neil

Attachments

• ALL PHOTOS 045.jpg
    ALL PHOTOS 045.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 24

stangfan

My car is a C code, and so it came factory with single exhaust. I had a local exhaust shop do a full dual exhaust system using an H-pipe and Dynomax mufflers. The installer had done a previous car for me, and I liked the result so much that I had him do the same system on the GT/CS. I used good quality slash-cut tips and had him tuck them right up under the valance. Looks and sounds great IMHO. :cool:

OP
OP
T

Tequila

My car is a C code, and so it came factory with single exhaust. I had a local exhaust shop do a full dual exhaust system using an H-pipe and Dynomax mufflers. The installer had done a previous car for me, and I liked the result so much that I had him do the same system on the GT/CS. I used good quality slash-cut tips and had him tuck them right up under the valance. Looks and sounds great IMHO. :cool:

Thanks all for the very helpful information. I think I might go the local shop route then. By the way Steve do you have any pictures of your setup that you can share?

Mine is a non GT so I guess it came from the factory with a single exhaust even though it now has dual exhaust but the tips are only about 1.5 inches.

robert campbell

OR! 2.5 all the way out, or 3 inch on the Fastback! Oh crap, RvrTrash's Tiger being used as a storage device!!

stangfan

Thanks all for the very helpful information. I think I might go the local shop route then. By the way Steve do you have any pictures of your setup that you can share?

Mine is a non GT so I guess it came from the factory with a single exhaust even though it now has dual exhaust but the tips are only about 1.5 inches.

If you go to My Garage, there are a couple of rear end shots that show the tips. They don't really show much other than the way the tips protrude, but it might help you. I used 2 inch all the way, so as not to lose any power due to having too little backpressure.

gazrox

I went with the Shelby pipe-in-pipe look for something a little different

093.jpg

Gary

rvrtrash

Rob, you should see the Tiger now! I have the entire interior out, carpet and all. I'm looking for Miata or S2000 seats so I can have something with built in headrests.

Steve

PS. Thanks once again for storing it during my short lived move to Seattle.