• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine Repair Question

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Taking it back to the shop Friday. It smokes at startup and at idle. Valve guides or seals?

robert campbell

Arlie,
Give the new engine a chance. Did they suggest how to break in the engine? To seat the piston rings? You need to drive it under light acceleration and l light de-acceleration. Move the rings back and forth on the pistons and in the bores. Most new motors can be a little smokey before they break in. Chrome moly rings can be very hard to break in. sometimes they can take as much as 1,000 miles to seat the rings. Sounds like the shop you went to went the extra mile for you. Drive it for a week or two under city type driving. Accelerate, de-accelerate. No constant speeds for long periods of time. Even shift it into second coming down a hill and such. It may just need to be broke in.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

It certainly could be that the rings haven't seated yet but to me it seemed strange that the engine smokes only at start-up and idle. I'd expect to see a serious smoke cloud at high RPMs if the rings hadn't seated.

Regardless of the cause the shop has offered to change out the valve seals to some super-duper brand. When I get the car back I'll then drive it around the beltway a few dozen times. There are certainly worse ways to try to solve a problem than being forced to drive a GT/CS!!!

Hopefully either the new seals or driving the car will stop the problem.

I'd sure like to have it fixed before June when I hope to put around 5000 miles on it.

Oh, BTW, there are no hills in Houston. Our version of a hill is an on-ramp!!!:grin:

rvrtrash

Oh, BTW, there are no hills in Houston. Our version of a hill is an on-ramp!!!:grin:

I was in Arlington, Tx. on business one time (in between Dallas and Fort Worth), sitting in the hotel lobby BSing with a local and the subject of hills came up. He started telling me about Texas hills and I was looking around and didn't see any. He was pointing at one and I just didn't see a hill anywhere and then he said "See, that car just drove over it". It was a freeway overpass! Everything is NOT bigger in Texas! :grin:

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The shop received another shipment of Cobras. I tried to talk Mike into giving me one as a loaner while he worked on my car. He just laughed at me!!!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Happy dance, happy dance, happy dance.:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: