• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Electrical, here we go: Intermittent flasher when lights on?

pippin

I just replaced all my bulbs, front and back and my flasher will blink both sides durring the day. BUT when the headlights are on, only the right side flashes and the left side just turns the blinkers off on that side and the light on one dash stays green on that side but will not flash.

What is the problem?

P

PNewitt

I'd replace the headlight switch first, then if it persists, replace the turn signal switch, in the steering column.

But...others here may have another solution. "RV Trash" knows quite a lot 'bout these types of things.

Paul.

rvrtrash

I've seen bad bulbs (that were shorted internally) do weird things like that. Did it just start when you changed them all out? If so, inspect each one with a meter (if you have extra good bulbs, you can substitute one at a time), make sure it's the correct bulb, make sure it's installed correctly and inspect the sockets to make sure the contacts aren't touching each other. Make sure the socket base is clean and rust free also, so you have a good ground. If that doesn't work, we'll move on from there.

Steve

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

well, before i changed bulbs is was not working at all.

Several bulbs were loose and twisted up (sharted?) anyway, all the running and brake lights work, but wont blink to the left with the lights on.

One side question. I want to pull off my fogs lights and 'save' them. Anyone found a modern light that looks ok as a 'user' replacement light so i dont burn out the stock lucas lights?

robert campbell

Steve is correct. My motto is it is "always a ground" problem. Make sure all light bulbs are good and they fit tight. Make sure the center of the sockets push in and spring out freely to ensure the bulbs stay tight. If all of this is good, my gut tells me you will be replacing the turn signal switch. Check the ground in the trunk near the fuel filler tube for the back lights.

Boy it is alot of fun. Make sure all other areas are good. Steve or I can step you through the turn signal switch replacement.

Keep trying and keep us posted!

Rob

rvrtrash

At the risk of repeating Robert, make sure your ground terminals are clean and tight. You have one in the front at the voltage regulator and one at the back on the support for the gas tank fill tube. If those are good and you've already done my first suggestion, I'd pull every bulb out and take readings with a meter on all the socket terminals. With the headlights on, you should have power on only one of the two terminals in each socket. With headlights off, you should have power on the other terminal and only the other terminal. This will tell you if you have a short in the wiring or a problem with the TS or Light switch. Get back to either Robert or I with your results and we'll go further. I hate throwing a $100 bill at a car and hoping it fixes it, so I eliminate everything else before buying parts. :wink: By the way, if everything else fails, it probably is the turn signal switch. Does it feel like it engages positively when you select a position or does it kind of flop around and feel loose?

Steve

franklinair

I think you'll find a bad connection (probably ground) on the left side (probably front). Because: the turn signal circuit thru the turn signal switch doesn't care if the headlights are on or off, the headlight switch circuit doesn't care if the turn signals are turned on or off, the flasher obviously works. Power for the individual bulb elements comes from separate sources (headlight switch OR turn signal switch). The only common electrical path for both bulb elements is through the GROUND side of the bulbs. The bulb sockets must have a good ground. When the headlights are off, turn signal on, only 1/2 the amount of current is flowing to ground as when the headlights are on also. If the ground side has any resistance (ohms) it will restrict the current flow, causing the flasher not to work. Hope this helps.
Neil Hoppe

robert campbell

Neil, Steve, and Rob have a love with DC current. DC means "Damn Confusing"?? You can see we are all about grounds. One item in my DC toolbox is a 10 foot long piece of wire with an aligator clip on each end. Allows me to clean up a spot pretty much anywhere on a cars electrical system that needs a ground and the ability to even go to the sinking battery post if I have to!

At the same time, those stinking turn siganl switches have a way of allow current to go in strange dirrections when they fail.

Rob

gt bandit

I can concur that Turn signal switch is pure Magic IMHO , mine nearly made me go insane - no way i thought could the turn signal switch stop my L/H rear brake light . Guess what I was wrong!!

have fun i no i didn't and i hammered most of the above guys for answers as well.
shaun

robert campbell

I put a new switch in my car in 1989. A year ago similar rear light problems were showing up, so back in the column again. As the "down under bandit" said!! Not so much fun!

I wonder if the extra tail light bulbs in a Shelby or GT/CS have anything to do with this failure?? Lot more power through a switch designed for 2 bulbs. I bet if we poled a group of stock 67 and 68 owners they would have a lot less failures than the we do! Price we pay for our cool cars??

Steve, Neil. You guys have the “electron” background!!! Whatcha think?

Rob

franklinair

I opted to install LED bulbs for that very reason - less current draw.
Neil

hicountrybob

Several bulbs were loose and twisted up (sharted?) anyway, all the running and brake lights work, but wont blink to the left with the lights on.

One side question. I want to pull off my fogs lights and 'save' them. Anyone found a modern light that looks ok as a 'user' replacement light so i dont burn out the stock lucas lights?
I have a nice pair of the black back side style lamps for $125 plus postage. Let me know if these will fit your needs. Bob Teets here.

gt bandit

One side question. I want to pull off my fogs lights and 'save' them. Anyone found a modern light that looks ok as a 'user' replacement light so i dont burn out the stock lucas lights?[/QUOTE]

I have PIAA driving lights they look reasonably authentic from a distance.

Attachments

• CS ROUNDUP.jpg
    CS ROUNDUP.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 23