• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 electrical

Powell

Ok the last post I did was about the ignition switch I replaced and the question about the pink wire . The GODFATHER" Neal" nailed my problem. I have a Pertronix aftermarket distributor and now find out I need a full 12v to the coil. With the resistance wire from the switch I have 10 volts. I really hate to return to the under dash with all my creaky bones and muscles.
So my question is: is there a 12v switched circuit with 12v in the on and run position that I can find under the hood???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ralph

rvrtrash

I would install a small relay, with the existing coil wire being used to turn the relay on and pull 12 volts through a fuse off the battery. Most relays have a range of voltage that they'll work with and 10 volts should be sufficient. when I get back home next week I can draw the circuit and email it to you if you'd like.

Steve

p51

I've got the same setup - Pertronix ignition module and 12v coil w/o resistor wire. I did the same thing Steve suggested above - added a 12v relay and used the existing resistor wire to control the relay. When you turn the key to "on" you hear a nice click :wink:

James

teamlo

I have an MSD "Ready-To-Run" distributor that calls for a full 12V, similar to the Pertronix situation. I added a nice relay that Pertronix sells, triggered by the circuit containing the resistor wire, which remains intact and unmodified. Full 12V then goes to the distributor. I mounted the relay on the apron near the starter solenoid. Real clean install and it works awesome. You can also remove the plug-in "module" from the top of the relay, and it acts like a kill switch.

Terry