• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Do These Sockets Look Right?

shifty101easy

http://www.oemsurplus911.com/images/lightsockets/8543.jpg

im getting 6 new sockets to mount in my shelby/GT/CS tail light panel. I plan to cut a hole in each of the buckets on the fiberglass tail light panel (6) with a hole saw and the put one of these sockets in there. I already have the 1157 type bulbs, the flasher, and the sequencer modules, i just need these sockets and im done with the California Special swap. These are the right ones, right?

rvrtrash

They aren't the right ones for a car with the original tail light buckets but if you're building a clone, and using the tail light panel that has the buckets moulded into it, you can use whatever you want. Just a thought though, that socket is meant to pop into a metal housing. I personally wouldn't use it on fiberglass. I would probably go down to your local auto parts store and look through their selection of sockets and find one you like.

Steve

OP
OP
S

shifty101easy

i went and they really don't have much selection at all...they had like two of the ones i would be able to use and said they couldn't get more in until like 2 weeks at least or something and even then couldn't guarantee it and so i just said forget it...i will order them....

why wouldn't u use it in a fiberglass housing? worried of damage??? this is very thick fiberglass.....but anyways, it will work though, correct?

rvrtrash

I would be worried about damage, and if the fiberglass is thick, the socket may not lock in properly. Did you go to more than one store? I guess at this point I'm just not willing to tell you it would definately work. You have a better idea of what you're dealing with because you have the pieces in front of you. If you have your heart set on buying these pieces, I would at least drill the holes the size of the smaller diameter at the rear of the socket and push them in from the front, silicone them in place and make sure you still have clearance for your bulbs.

Steve

Mosesatm

Steve, how will those sockets ground if there is no connection to metal?

rvrtrash

It's hard to be sure from the picture but it looks like there is a ground tab with a white wire attached on the back side of the socket body (bottom of photo). Those would all have to be tied together and attached to the body somewhere.

Steve

Perkchiro

Try these on the same website:
http://www.oemsurplus911.com/automotive/ligtsockets.htm

I used the #8534 (PS-34) that fits the 1157 bulb. These fit great in the original tail light bucket. They also have an optional grounding tab that would allow you to run a ground wire from each socket. I would glue or silcone these in place as suggested. I think this approach is still a little uncertain since fiberglass has less strength than the original metal bucket. How does the reflective paint apply to the fiberglass? You might post a pic of your tail panel after you drill out the holes. Good luck!

Mosesatm

rvrtrash said:
It's hard to be sure from the picture but it looks like there is a ground tab with a white wire attached on the back side of the socket body (bottom of photo). Those would all have to be tied together and attached to the body somewhere.

Steve

Ah, yes, there is a ground tab hiding down there. Nevermind.