• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 tail light bulb sockets

whodat

I had the same problem. One was so bad that I pushed the socket through and it was a royal pain in the butt to get the bulb in. Maybe others have a remedy for you. But you can try lectra clean.

stangfan

I've had very good luck with WD-40. Get the bulb out and shoot some in there and work the spring with a screwdriver. If the springs are really bad, give the WD a bit of time to penetrate before you go after it.

This has worked for me on a number of occasions.

Mosesatm

It also helps to use a tool like a dental pick to get under the contacts, or even try needle nose pliers to grab them and pull them free. Once you have the springs extended spray a bunch more WD40 to clean out all that rusty gunk.

IMHO if one is stuck it's most likely time to remove the tail light panel and rebuild all of them.

Attachments

• Stuck Springs.jpg
    Stuck Springs.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Freed up but Gunky.jpg
    Freed up but Gunky.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 20

Ruppstang

I have been down this road before, if the springs have been very rusty you might as well buy a new panel harness. Once they have been rusted they seem to loose their strength or break.

robert campbell

+1 to Marty. Time to refurbish all the sockets and add am individual ground wire to each socket to ensure a firm ground point. You will be happy you spent the time. If you are not a total purist you can source the sockets from a local Napa store. Very little in cost and some labor to make it right.

Rob