• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Destination Downtown...

Midnight Special

...Grass Valley and the annual car show. Renee came up with others and we worked all day to get ready! Five GT/CSs will be featured with Ron Moore "clubpro" among "pilots" :)

Attachments

• IM001740.jpg
    IM001740.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IM001743.jpg
    IM001743.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 49

rvrtrash

Tim, you should just move the car show to your house. No need to go anywhere else.

Steve

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...A banner day in Grass Valley! We departed at 7:30 AM and held flawless formation of ten Mustangs to town (4-GT/CS, 1-CS clone, 2-Machs, 2-'68 coupes, 1-"66 coupe) and joined 352 beautiful cars in like weather, food and fun. Mike Jewell "somethingspecial" visited briefly after work and well.... at this late hour, only the photos can do it justice :)

Attachments

• DSC_1474.jpg
    DSC_1474.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_0619.jpg
    100_0619.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0620.jpg
    100_0620.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_1476.jpg
    DSC_1476.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_1466.jpg
    DSC_1466.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_1465.jpg
    DSC_1465.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_1468.jpg
    DSC_1468.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_1447.jpg
    DSC_1447.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

There were many Mustangs present this year including an S-code fastback with Tri-Power intake set up and another with a 460 stroked to 530!..

Attachments

• DSC_1487.jpg
    DSC_1487.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_1480.jpg
    DSC_1480.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1469.jpg
    DSC_1469.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_1470.jpg
    DSC_1470.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_1460.jpg
    DSC_1460.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1457.jpg
    DSC_1457.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_1456.jpg
    DSC_1456.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_1455.jpg
    DSC_1455.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

..At show's end, we cruised home. re-grouped then cruised to Colfax along scenic Hwy. 174 for dinner at our favorite "greasy spoon". Renee rode with me in the black CS while TJ followed, driving her gold coupe...

But arrival in Colfax was not without incident. As our group of 5 'Stangs entered the parking lot. A guy in a big Chevy truck was staring and giving the black car a rousing "thumbs up". He kept staring while pulling out and plowed right into Renee's gold car (and TJ) who was directly behind us (stopped and waiting to park)!!

The loud crash, panic and Renee exiting my car before I stopped eventually gave way to calm "acceptance" with TJ un-hurt, the guy's sincerest apology, full exchange of information and un-stoppable support of Renee by not only us, but virtually everyone at the restaurant!

After changing the tire and pulling the crushed fender away from the wheel, we proceeded with dinner and a nice drive home with resolve for speedy repairs...

Attachments

• DSC_1493.jpg
    DSC_1493.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_1492.jpg
    DSC_1492.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0621.jpg
    100_0621.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_0622.jpg
    100_0622.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_1489.jpg
    DSC_1489.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 41

Ruppstang

Never a dull moment with Tim and company. Looked like a fantastic show. What a scenic town a great venue for a car show. Too bad there had to be an accedent the put a damper on a near perfect day. I am glad TJ was ok! I bet he sure felt bad even though it was not his falt. It did not look like much more than a new fender. I am sure you guys will have it good as new in no time. Renee you really do clean up nicely from the greese of last weekend. Are you a body repair person too?

franklinair

Great photos, great day.
I'm sure Tim & TJ will have Renee checked out on fender replacement. If you need any advice, I'm also checked out on replacing left front fenders:eek:.

Neil

robert campbell

Never a dull moment??? I am so thankful that no one was hurt and it looks very cosmetic to fix!

It is so cool to have actually seen the area and the roads first hand! Makes it all so much more personal to me!!

I like a local car show open to everthing way better than a all Mustang show. And what a beautiful town and weather!

Great day even with the loss of a fender! Make sure T.J. does not fret over it!!

Rob

CougarCJ

Bummer about the fender bender, really enjoy those small community shows too.

Tim, was there a 1967 Cougar there with a 390? Glacier Blue, I mean Brittany Blue by any chance? We have a guy on my Cougar forum that lives in Grass Valley, not sure of his real name, but he goes by Drdesoto.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Scott, Yes. We had a very nice conversation with him and his buddy who was an "old airplane" engine mechanic from way back... Nice guys and an awesome Cougar! They were on the main drag just ahead of the red S-code fastback. 'Wish I got a picture for you!

Indeed, Renee's damage looks to be isolated to the fender with a scratch on the bumper. I have some good friends here in town w/ body shop and years of experience restoring classics and collision repair. I will call tomorrow and get it done right. Thanks for ALL of your outstanding support! We'll keep you posted :)

Both Renee and TJ are in excellent spirits. There was just too much additional "good" that happened to ruin the weekend :)

robert campbell

Tim,
Me experience with "bargain repop" front fenders is problems with the seam alignment to the door, and the fit where the fender mates to the widshield moulding in the front corner.

I would get the best one I could that is a original Ford die repop, or a nice used original. The bargain ones can run into lots of cost getting them right.

My two cents!!

Rob

PonyGal

I can't add much to Tim's postings except to say how wonderful of a day we all had Saturday. The weather was amazing and we got to spend the whole day looking at so many BEAUTIFUL cars and going for an wonderful drive/dinner afterwards!!!.

It was horrible to have my little gold coupe take a hit in the fender, and I must admit it made me cry like a baby :cry: Still, the first thing I did after I heard the CRUNCH and came FLYING out of Tim's black Special (before it even came to a stop :undecided), is to let TJ know that it was not his fault and I did not blame him at all for the accident. Things happen! Especially with these georgeous "head turners"!! But, Tim & TJ did a wonderful job of changing the tire and pulling out the fender so that we could drive it back to Grass Valley. Looking at her this morning, I realized that the damage is isolated to the front driver's side fender and a good scratch on the bumper. Not too difficult to fix. I will need to get a new three bar pony emblem though...RON!!!!

Attachments

• 100_0606.jpg
    100_0606.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_0625.jpg
    100_0625.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0627.jpg
    100_0627.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0628.jpg
    100_0628.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 30

Mosesatm

Gold is an extremely difficult (almost impossible) color to match so please be sure to examine the color match in a variety of lights. If you can see any variation at all reject the work until they get it right. A complete respray may be needed.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Indeed Arlie. What ever it takes. The guy who hit the car graciously said the same thing... "Get it done right".

Renee, I've been thinkin' maybe we shouldn't travel in groups any more.
In a way that sexy blonds have caused guys to plow into phone poles - the black GT/CS (you were riding in) caused THIS! ....or Hell - for all I know; YOU caused this!

Okay - so as it stands; You either drive (or ride in) the last car of the lineup from now on!
;-)

Last edited:

PonyGal

I'm innocent!!! After all, it was YOUR car that caused the guy to hit mine!!!:wink:

Attachments

• Innocent.gif
    Innocent.gif
    130.2 KB · Views: 30

PFSlim

Renee

Sorry to hear about the damage. The cars all look great. I would love to see that many GT/CS and Mustangs rolling into town all at one time.

Hope you get your gold car fixed soon.

Paul

PonyGal

Thanks Paul,

Looks like the damage is mostly restricted to the fender and tire area. Not too bad to fix. Tim is already working on getting a body shop to look at it while I am dealing with the insurance companies. It is raining here today, so Tim will wait until tomorrow to take it in. It is suppose to clear up by then.