• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Definitive answer on where CSs were built

MusicCityMustang

:smile: Good morning, all. I'm looking at buying a 68 that has all the CS trimmings, but the VIN is for Metuchen. Is it an absolute 100% sure thing that they were ALL built at San Jose? I appreciate any concrete information that I can get.

Thanks!

Jim

OP
OP
M

MusicCityMustang

Cs?

Tim, thanks. I saw another member had posted that his was built in NJ. I also saw that in the Classifieds section on this Web site someone had posted the listing for the car I'm interested in and that generated some discussion.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3083799617.html

Everything else about it appears to be fairly consistently CS.

I live less than an hour away from the car.

Jim

somethingspecial

Ablosute, San Jose Plant only

Email sent to you. Only a San Jose Plant built GT/CS can be Original. Before buying any 1968 GT/CS, protect yourself and order a Marti Report to verify.

OOPS, I meant Absolute. and I haven't even been drinkin. LOL

Midnight Special

... Only a San Jose Plant built GT/CS can be Original. Before buying any 1968 GT/CS, protect yourself and order a Marti Report to verify.

...Add to that, Jim, we have some incredible "clone" stories to share from over the years including a local guy here who bought (at premium $), shown, and won awards with a beautiful car he thought was a real GT/CS!...right up until it was discovered his car came from Metuchen. 'Broke his heart...

Without the fellowship and shared knowledge of some great folks here, many of us (myself included) were poised to make the same assumption and uninformed decision.

Owning and driving clones is great. We've had two and they arouse the same intrigue as the real GT/CS, but they are by NO means an investment, nor should they be represented as "real". That's is the beauty of this site... folks like Mike and the privilege of having Marti Auto Works to guide us, along with so many others to help get & keep 'em real :)

OP
OP
M

MusicCityMustang

Thanks

Yeah, clones are fine. Nothing gets your heart racing like an original, though. And in that color of "diamond blue" it looked really sharp.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Mosesatm

Jim,
Another huge red flag for that car is the VIN.
Using rough numbers the California Special VINs are between 130,000 and 173,000 and the VIN on the car in question is 178,633.

That said, please keep in mind that since those VINs come from our registry we can't say exacly what the VINs are for the first and last California Specials.

OP
OP
M

MusicCityMustang

Definitely not a CS car

I went to see the car today, and it's definitely not a CS. Aside from the obvious lack of quality of the CS additions done to it, the owner went ahead and got the Marti report. It was originally a Sprint B car.

Oh well!

Thanks for your replies.
Jim

Mustanglvr

Yeah, clones are fine. Nothing gets your heart racing like an original, though. And in that color of "diamond blue" it looked really sharp.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

The car in the craiglist ad definitely isn't Diamond Blue. :confused: