• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Curious to get thoughts on Seller eBay error

Mosesatm

If this ends up in small claims court (unless $3,000 is over that limit) the seller will most likely lose. A deal is a deal.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Mosesatm said:
If this ends up in small claims court (unless $3,000 is over that limit) the seller will most likely lose. A deal is a deal.

Maybe that's their view.

If we do nothing and it "goes away" it's done and we're not out the $3,000.
If we lose then we have to give him the part.

They're really not out $3,000 but their profit on the item.

Maybe their view is "Take the chance that it "goes away"".

Or their attorneys have advised them don't say anything to him. That sounds more likely the case to me.

I see it as an error and they shouldn't have to honor that - if it became a habit for them I can see eBay removing them.
I do think that Perogie might have said - Sorry, it was an error, here's something in return.

Through all this, we don't really know if they tried to do anything or not - we haven't heard their side of the story only an upset buyers side.

joedls

BroadwayBlue said:
They're really not out $3,000 but their profit on the item.

Not to nitpick (but in my experience you IT guys do it all the time:wink: ), but actually they would be out whatever the item cost them plus their cost of sales, not their profit.

Midnight Special

Mosesatm said:

...Based on what we know so far, I could see the judgement going either way. Especially if the seller makes the case it was an honest mistake, the known value of the item, the sellers (hopeful) reputation for not having a history of doing this, and predominantly - the buyers insistant attitude for demanding something for far less than its value. As I read the buyer's responses to e-bay and Jason, his (apparent) attitude alone could cause a judge to toss it or go in favor of the buyer. I'd be curious what member "Casey" thinks?

I agree that "a deal's a deal", but was it??

joedls

Another thing I didn't add before. I would shamelessly sell the fact that I honored this deal, even though it was a mistake that cost me money. I would even do whatever I could to enlist the buyer to assist me in selling that fact. I guarantee you I'd get that $3K back.

Midnight Special

joedls said:
Another thing I didn't add before. I would shamelessly sell the fact that I honored this deal, even though it was a mistake that cost me money. I would even do whatever I could to enlist the buyer to assist me in selling that fact. I guarantee you I'd get that $3K back.

No doubt you would Joe, and I totally agree with your methods. It's just that I hate to see the well intended get forced into making such a concession after an obvious mistake (different if it was their pattern). Reminds me of people who sue for no other reason that to get a settlement b/c they know the other party won't go to the trouble to contest... Shameless!

P.S. 'Bet they keep you busy in LA Joe. Interesting career!

joedls

Midnight Special said:
No doubt you would Joe, and I totally agree with your methods. It's just that I hate to see the well intended get forced into making such a concession after an obvious mistake (different if it was their pattern). Reminds me of people who sue for no other reason that to get a settlement b/c they know the other party won't go to the trouble to contest... Shameless!

P.S. 'Bet they keep you busy in LA Joe. Interesting career!

I agree. The buyer's a jerk. And yes, I do stay busy.

nfrntau

Based on information given, I side with the buyer. He may have looked at it and said Whoa! and hit the buy it now. How can you blame a guy for that. He may have looked at it and thought "This has got to be a scam, hell it will only cost me $45 to find out" I would be surprised if he thought "look at that! they F...D up"

People sell stuff all the time on ebay for less than it's worth due to not knowing what they have or not writting enough information for the buyer. I bought a pair of Marchal lights for $39 due to the way the guy had them advertised. Should I have written him and told him he charged me way to little?
It should not be the buyers responsibility to tell the seller he is selling his item for less than it's worth. It goes both ways. I have an item I want to sell and have no idea what it's worth. If only one guy wants it he gets a great deal, nobody bids against him. If two guys are willing to bid war then I find out what it's really worth.
At the local Randalls grocery, if they ring up the wrong price and you catch it, they give you the item for free. They don't look at you and say tuff!, deal with it, we screwed up!
The seller screwed up no doubt.

Mustanglvr

If the buyer had won an item and realized he had bid too much, he would probably be able to back out of the deal right? Why not the seller?

rvrtrash

Yes, people back out of deals on Ebay all the time and the only thing that happens (unless it's excessive) is they get a bad rating. Nothing legally will probably happen to Perogie. The difference is that if a casual seller backs out, it's not a huge thing to them because they're probably on Ebay to sell extra stuff out of their garage. A business needs to protect it's name which has value. Yes the buyer comes across as a jerk. That doesn't mean he's automatically wrong. Unpleasant people can still have the law on their side. My point was that Peroigie appears to have taken the position that short term dollars mean more than long term public perception/reputation and my experience has been that a company that will blow off one customer will do it again to others, like maybe me, if some issue comes up they don't feel like dealing with. If I can't feel comfortable dealing with a company, I don't deal with them. Peroigie blew an opportunity to back out gracefully and that says a lot to me about their corporate mentality.

Steve

joedls

rvrtrash said:
Yes, people back out of deals on Ebay all the time and the only thing that happens (unless it's excessive) is they get a bad rating. Nothing legally will probably happen to Perogie. The difference is that if a casual seller backs out, it's not a huge thing to them because they're probably on Ebay to sell extra stuff out of their garage. A business needs to protect it's name which has value. Yes the buyer comes across as a jerk. That doesn't mean he's automatically wrong. Unpleasant people can still have the law on their side. My point was that Peroigie appears to have taken the position that short term dollars mean more than long term public perception/reputation and my experience has been that a company that will blow off one customer will do it again to others, like maybe me, if some issue comes up they don't feel like dealing with. If I can't feel comfortable dealing with a company, I don't deal with them. Peroigie blew an opportunity to back out gracefully and that says a lot to me about their corporate mentality.

Steve

I must say that I agree.

6t8-390gt

Without knowing Perogie's side of the story I tend to side with the buyer. Perogie, like many others, buys low and sells high. They have been doing it for years and I am confident that they have bought things from unsuspecting sellers without informing them of the "market value" of the item. Being from the East I've seen Perogie for 20 plus years at Carlisle and other swap meets and they do enjoy a good reputation. It doesn't sound like they have tried any negotiations ie. offer the part at a low market price, give the buyer $100 credit on his next purchase, something!

When you buy parts do you tell the seller how much you are willing to pay or do you make them price the item. I never price someone elses goods.

They need to honor the deal even if they "go in the hole" on this one. Did the employee who listed the item get fired?!! Hold the employee accountable for the error. We still hold people accountable for their actions don't we?!

Midnight Special

...Joe I agree with your ethics for business & reputation sake. It's just that in this case, If the guy has two Mach Ones, he ought to know that the item in question has alot more value than what he jumped on it for. Upon realizing the circumstances, just forgive the mistake.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would try to be as much of an ethical buyer as you are seller. That's just my thoughts which is what I think BB was asking. Legally - Yeah, the seller's in the hole I suppose... 'but not if I were the buyer in this case.

Mustanglvr

Buying low and selling high is only business, plain and simple.
I think that Ebay should look at the sellers feedback rating and history and determine if it was a one time mistake or a chronic problem. If it was an honest, one time mistake, then I think Ebay should rule on behalf of the seller.

The listing where the buyer was bashing the seller has been removed. Thats another thing. The buyer was trying to ruin the sellers reputation by posting that listing. You`de think the seller could sue the buyer for libel.

joedls

Midnight Special said:
...Joe I agree with your ethics for business & reputation sake. It's just that in this case, If the guy has two Mach Ones, he ought to know that the item in question has alot more value than what he jumped on it for. Upon realizing the circumstances, just forgive the mistake.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would try to be as much of an ethical buyer as you are seller. That's just my thoughts which is what I think BB was asking. Legally - Yeah, the seller's in the hole I suppose... 'but not if I were the buyer in this case.

I don't disagree with you, Tim. I think the buyer is taking the low road. I will always attempt to take the high one.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

joedls said:
Not to nitpick (but in my experience you IT guys do it all the time:wink: ), but actually they would be out whatever the item cost them plus their cost of sales, not their profit.

You're right Joe! I need to fix that bug in my program :cool: