• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Curious to get thoughts on Seller eBay error

BroadwayBlue

Curious to get thoughts here on this.

Found this on the VMF site.

Apparently Perogie Enterprises out of NJ, listed a fold down rear seat worth $2,000-3000 with a BIN of $45. This guy is trying to get the item for $45.

Either they listed it incorrectly or it was a fake/scam auction.

The shipping on the original is listed as $8 but in the description shipping is $120. What's everyone's take on this?

Would be interesting to get Perogie's version since this is all one sided at this point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120053220567&rd=1

390cs68rcode

obviously a listing mistake. If I had done the same thing there is no way I would sell a $3000 item for $45. mistakes happen.

look and see what I have for sale on Ebay, no way I would let those go for $45.

6t8-390gt

It is clearly an error, but appears the buyer hit the buy it now button, and paid for the item before the error was noticed.

My question is if you had a part for sale for $50 and Perogie saw it and knew it to be worth $3000, what would they do, buy it or tell the seller it was under priced?

RedGTvert

6t8-390gt said:
It is clearly an error, but appears the buyer hit the buy it now button, and paid for the item before the error was noticed.

My question is if you had a part for sale for $50 and Perogie saw it and knew it to be worth $3000, what would they do, buy it or tell the seller it was under priced?

Bottom line is the seller knew it was too cheap and tried to grab it as a bargain. I cannot speak for that person, but it seems like he/she knew it was too good to be true, hit the buy it now button and right away rushed to pay for it in hopes it didn't get noticed.

As 390cs said, mistakes can happen. Accept the apologies and move on.

390cs68rcode

RedGTvert said:
Bottom line is the seller knew it was too cheap and tried to grab it as a bargain. I cannot speak for that person, but it seems like he/she knew it was too good to be true, hit the buy it now button and right away rushed to pay for it in hopes it didn't get noticed.

As 390cs said, mistakes can happen. Accept the apologies and move on.

I emailed the buyer and he is what he said............

"Mistakes happen"...........well yes they do, but what do most businesses do when they make a mistake? Don't most try to make it up to the customer in some way or another? Or is it common practice to abuse the customer further? They REFUSE to do ANYTHING to make this right. I asked them at the very start if they had ANYTHING I might need for either one of my Mach1s to cover the auction and guess what they're response was.....................NONE! They have ignored every email since the day of the auction and hang up on me when I call them! Does it sound like I should lighten up on them? I wasn't the one that screwed up here, should I be the one that loses in the end and gets the worst treatment?
Since you sell on eBay and tell me "I would still not ship the item to you" if you had done the same thing, take a look at what eBay says about that:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html
Read #1 & #3. When I called eBay about this and started telling them what the seller had done, the representative basically cut me off and said "they are in clear violation of our policy" and "they are strictly forbidden from refunding the payment and relisting the item for more money", NOT "Mistakes happen. Ligthen up".
"If you were in person at thier shop do you think they would have quoted you the incorrect price? no they wouldn't". Probably not, but obviously they WOULD quote an incorrect price to the entire world when they're not in private! One speaks WAY LOUDER than the other. And, eBay guidelines don't apply to personal quoted at their shop.
If they had treated me in ANY kind of respectable manner from the start, I would have accepted something small for one of my cars that was a good deal for $45 and gone on my way. I would have accepted a rear spoiler or a complete turn signal hood scoop, ANYTHING BESIDES A LIE AND BEING IGNORED. But, they chose to treat me as if I were the one that had screwed up majorly, and seem to think they don't have to follow eBay's guidelines. So here we are, with me badly abused now and you defending them. It's that kind of attitude that makes me not want to settle for anything small any more!

I know if I were Perogie and someone wanted a $3000 part for $45 and he kept screaming about wanting "something for one of my cars that was a good deal" I would tell him to take a hike. This person would NEVER buy from them again and giving any kind of discount to the buyer would be a net loss for the business. This is a classic example of someone wanting something for nothing because of a human error.

rvrtrash

I guess I have to chime in on the side of the buyer. My take on it is Perogie goofed big time but Ebay policy says you have to honor your auction and Perogie should do that. I've made mistakes on Ebay when I first got started there, but I just sucked it up, learned and moved on. If the buyer did offer to take something else that was closer in price and they blew him off, shame on them. If your companies reputation isn't worth $3,000.00 than I don't think you have much of a company. If they would've just went to him and admitted they made a mistake and asked if something could've been worked out, it sounds like everyone would've walked away happy.

Steve

Mosesatm

I'm a little more cynical in that I think it's a scam.

How could the seller screw up by posting a BIN of $45? An effort must be made to enter a BIN when selling something on eBay. It's not like he or she accidently hit the wrong button and a BIN of $45 appeared out of thin air.

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
I'm a little more cynical in that I think it's a scam.

How could the seller screw up by posting a BIN of $45? An effort must be made to enter a BIN when selling something on eBay. It's not like he or she accidently hit the wrong button and a BIN of $45 appeared out of thin air.

nope. when listing items you can select "sell similar item". When you do this it fills out all the fields just like the item before it. You then have to modify the data as you go through it. This saves a BUNCH of time expecially when people sell large amounts of items and have pre printed return policies and all the written info on the auctions.

Mosesatm

Thanks for pointing that out Jason. I went into the seller's feedback to see if I could find something he sold with a BIN of $45 but couldn't. That doesn't mean he didn't sell anything it just means that he sells so much stuff I got tired of looking. This guy is an eBay-selling machine!

He probably just screwed up but he also has to follow eBay's rules if he wants to continue making a living selling stuff on their site. Rules are rules. The seller had better work something out with the buyer because the buyer seems to have the rules and probably the law on his side.

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
Thanks for pointing that out Jason. I went into the seller's feedback to see if I could find something he sold with a BIN of $45 but couldn't. That doesn't mean he didn't sell anything it just means that he sells so much stuff I got tired of looking. This guy is an eBay-selling machine!

He probably just screwed up but he also has to follow eBay's rules if he wants to continue making a living selling stuff on their site. Rules are rules. The seller had better work something out with the buyer because the buyer seems to have the rules and probably the law on his side.

One infraction of Ebay rules will not get them kicked off. This happens way more than you think. Nothing legally will ever happen with this.

Sometimes on Ebay you just have to move on.

Mustanglvr

The buyer can file a claim and the seller could have his Ebay account suspended.
I wonder how long after it was listed did the guy hit the "buy it now" button? They should have like a 1 hour time period, after an item is listed, to give the seller a chance to fix any mistakes.
Ebay will have to look this one over and try to make a fair judgement. These are circumstances that they should have had a specific rule for.

390cs68rcode

Mustanglvr said:
The buyer can file a claim and the seller could have his Ebay account suspended.
I wonder how long after it was listed did the guy hit the "buy it now" button? They should have like a 1 hour time period, after an item is listed, to give the seller a chance to fix any mistakes.
Ebay will have to look this one over and try to make a fair judgement. These are circumstances that they should have had a specific rule for.

1 hour is too short. sometimes listings don't show for 4-6 hours after being listed. what if they listed the items at the end of the business day, 3 hours later it goes live and all the buy it now stuff and payment sent late at night when the place is not open?

plain and simple it was a human error. A business should not have to take a $3000 hit for something like this. They give the guy $3000 part for $45 then they have to make up ALOT of profit to cover the $3000. Perogie decided to not take that hit (I wouldn't either).

joedls

I guess this is a judgement call but, in my business, I'd take the hit. $3000 is not worth the cost to my reputation. I have taken much larger hits due to errors. On the flipside, I have realized much larger profits because of my reputation. In my opinion, it's a short-term vs. long-term view.

Midnight Special

...I think too that the buyer is being extremely unreasonable in not forgiving the error and fighting too hard to get something for (next to) nothing. I wouldn't consider the seller "off color" in this case. If I were the buyer, I would only say "be more careful next time".....

P.S. Joe - what is it you do? ...besides having a stalwart reputation driving one of the neatest CSs on the planet? ;-)

Last edited:

joedls

I agree that the buyer is being unreasonable. I also agree that the buyer is trying to get something for nothing. My opinion was just about what I would do as a businessman.

Tim, I run an environmental construction business. We remove hazardous building materials before demolition or remodeling occurs.