• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Corvette Door Handles

Mosesatm

Has anyone ever seen a Mustang with flush Corvette door handles? It seems to me that they would fit without too much work.

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

I don't think many Ford folks would take too kindly about putting GM parts on a Mustang. That's like putting a RAT 454 motor in a 427 Cobra.

If someone was to "want" to modify their door, they could use '71-'73 flush door handles (courtesy of former GM guy Bunky Knudsen that came over to Ford and "Camaro-ized" the '71 Mustang).

Fred Goodell required A.O. Smith to make the fiberglass TWICE as strong as the "vette stuff back in '68.

Besides, what's a Corvette?

Paul.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

PNewitt said:
I don't think many Ford folks would take too kindly about putting GM parts on a Mustang.
Paul.

Sounds like some Ford people might be a little narrow minded and could use a little maturity.

rvrtrash

Well I may get old, but I refuse to grow up so count me in on being immature also.:grin: I would also use the '71-3 door handles if I wanted them flush because the rod connections are the same and would probably work out to being the same length, but I think if I was going to go to that much effort, I'd put in electric ones that don't even have a handle and pop your door open a little like the tuner guys do on their Honda's. That way you wouldn't have to weld in all the supports inside the door to hold the door handle. Of course you would want to make the old door handle mounts flush with the door skin then so it's a bit of work either way.
Steve

(I know it sounds confusing, but I know what I meant.)

hookedtrout

Count me in as well. NO BOWTIE JUNK on my Ford not now not ever!!!! I agree, if you want a Vette buy a Vette and live in Regret. I almost did, but one test drive was more than enough rattle for me.

Cory

P

PNewitt

Mosesatm said:
Sounds like some Ford people might be a little narrow minded and could use a little maturity.

It sounds like Arlie's after someone's goat, or has a bone to pick or something....his past posts here have been kinda sour...

There's no immaturity to brand loyalty.

take a chill pill.

Paul.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

PNewitt said:
It sounds like Arlie's after someone's goat, or has a bone to pick or something....his past posts here have been kinda sour...

There's no immaturity to brand loyalty.

take a chill pill.

Paul.

In my opinion there is immaturity in blind brand loyalty. Good Lord, it sounds like we're all back in high school auto shop again, "Ford Rules", "Chevy Sucks", "Chevy Rules", "Found on Road Dead". Come on, we should have left all that nonsense behind us 25 years ago.

The GT/CS is a great looking car and I am proud to own one but Ford is certainly not the Messiah of everything automotive and they have certainly built their share of junk over the years.

I'd like to have a Judge some day. Is that against the rules? Always wanted a '70 Charger, too? Oh man, will I need to get the approval of the Ford folks if I do that?

I own an Infiniti G35, a Dodge Dakota, and a GT/CS. The Infiniti and the Dodge are fantastic vechicles but what I'm hearing is that because I bought those vehicles I'm less than worthy because I'm not brand loyal.

Well, if buying the best car for the job, no matter what brand it is, is not brand-loyal that's ok with me. It might not be brand-loyal but it's the intelligent thing to do. Can you even name comparable vehicles that I could have purchased from Ford? And yes, I certainly did look at the Lincoln LS, the Ranger, and the F150.

The funny think is that I traded in an Explorer for the Dodge because the air conditioner kept short-cycling (turning on and off every 3 seconds) and Ford flat-out refused to fix it. They said it was normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

rvrtrash said:
Well I may get old, but I refuse to grow up so count me in on being immature also.:grin: I would also use the '71-3 door handles if I wanted them flush because the rod connections are the same and would probably work out to being the same length, but I think if I was going to go to that much effort, I'd put in electric ones that don't even have a handle and pop your door open a little like the tuner guys do on their Honda's. That way you wouldn't have to weld in all the supports inside the door to hold the door handle. Of course you would want to make the old door handle mounts flush with the door skin then so it's a bit of work either way.
Steve

(I know it sounds confusing, but I know what I meant.)
Thanks for your comments Steve,

I understood it. I wouldn't mind making new rods but I hadn't thought about the supports, and if they are required they would be deal breakers.

I'll probably never do this project anyway. I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen it done since the curve on the top of the Mustang door seems to be quite similar to the curve on the top of the 'vette door. With all the ways people customize Mustangs I figured someone had probably done it by now.

Mustanglvr

No more arguing now, you`re supposed to leave that up to us women, lol.

My 2 cents worth, (of course).

Attachments

• calvin_2.gif
    calvin_2.gif
    4 KB · Views: 68
  • ford rules small.JPG
    ford rules small.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 66

Perkchiro

Hey Arlie, no high schooler here. Been there, done that, way back. I'm not brand loyal. I've owned foreign and domestic. I have two GM vehicles right now along with my CS (and a Kubota tractor). I like customized vehicles but I don't think using corvette handles would enhance a mustang. I'm not a bone stock kind of guy, but it would take a lot of sheet metal destruction to accomplish this kind of project and it would certainly destroy the good looks of a great icon. I think it's a good idea to keep Ford with Ford parts, GM with GMparts, guy parts with guys and girl parts with girls. I thinks its just the way it should be. Jeez Arlie, take a chill pill and relax. We're all friends here, right?:wink:

Steve

joedls

As far as I'm concerned, a guy (or gal) can do whatever he/she wants to his/her vehicle. I mean, that's what hotrodding is all about. The old-school hotrodders never worried about what manufacturer made a specific part. They just used whatever was available to them and fit the function they wanted. If the Corvette door handles float your boat and you want to go to the effort to make them work, I say more power to you. I have always been fascinated with people who will only buy Ford, or only buy Chevy, or only buy Mopar, or only buy....

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I'm not at all upset but I think my writing probably comes across that way. I think healthy debates that begin with, "I think", or "In my opinion" are great!

Jayscal

This is a stupid thread, why don't we discuss politics or religion. :icon_no:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Perkchiro said:
I think it's a good idea to keep Ford with Ford parts, GM with GMparts, guy parts with guys and girl parts with girls. I thinks its just the way it should be.

Steve

I'm curious Steve, why is it a good idea to use Ford parts on a Ford car? For example if I was digging through a box of parts and found a great looking antenna that would fit perfectly on my rear fender of my restomod would I need to check to make sure it was a Ford antenna?

Sorry, I just don't seem to get it.

Mustanglvr

Mosesatm said:
I'm curious Steve, why is it a good idea to use Ford parts on a Ford car? For example if I was digging through a box of parts and found a great looking antenna that would fit perfectly on my rear fender of my restomod would I need to check to make sure it was a Ford antenna?

Only if its a Ford restomod! Put what you want on any other make of car, just don`t do it to a Ford!

Sorry Arlie, I just had too. Hey, do you remember the first time we posted to one another here on this site? We were arguing about your very first post about putting a Ricer motor in a Mustang I believe. You not only got me riled, but most everyone else too. Those were the good old days, lol and we`ve been friends ever since.

Honestly Arlie, you should be able to do whatever you want, to any car you want. Not everybody is going to agree, but then again, thats what makes the world go around. Thats what makes us individuals. Some of us have stronger opinions then others and thats ok. Doug, my nephew Patrick and many many others are serving and many have died to keep our country free for us to make these choices. Our country is full of diversity, no one thinks alike and can express their opinions without fear of facing a firing squad.

These are all just our opinions and were all going to do what we want anyway, so I say it would be really cool to see flush Corvette door handles installed on a Mustang. Thats what modifying is all about right? Modify means "to make it better" in my opinion and if putting flush Corvette handles on a Mustang would make it any cooler or functional, then do it!

Now, no more name calling and lets post our opinions in a more respectful and mature manner. And you all know who I`m talking about.

And yes, I`m taking my own advice about posting opinions on this site.:icon_ecst I`ve learned you must respect others opinions and you should`nt put them down just because you don`t agree. :grin: I`m done now, time to go back to sleepy. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Perkchiro

Mosesatm said:

Aren't you the guy that doesn't like original car colors changed? I think I got some grief from you previously on that subject when I changed my car from original lime gold to candyapple red. Seems to be a personal peference on your part and I understand that. So, by the same token, I think mixing Ford and Chevy and Mopar parts is a dumb thing to do unless you're Chuck Barris and your making a Monkey car or Batmobile. Look at the resto shows on the Speed Channel or TLC. Barry White and Skip Foose modify Chevy's, Ford's and Mopar's, but when they resto-mod them, they don't put a chevy motor in a Plymouth. Just looks better, worth more and is a more of a pure restoration to stick with original branded parts. To each his own as we always say, but that's my personal view.
Does that explain it?
Steve

Last edited:

coloradoHCS

I have a 65 Vette and a 68 HCS, both are reflective of the style and engineering that both companies had to offer within their target. I consider both to be high water marks. I have Vette friends that tease me about the Mustang and visa versa. They don't understand (or they won't admit)that all car companies made some great cars.

As far as not having brand parts on a specific car remember the great hot rods. Mustang II front ends, Ford 9" rear, small or large block Chevy engines was the recipe that has worked and has been accepted for years.

Arlie for custom I agree the handless electric opener would look clean and would work well. Good luck.

Mark.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Perkchiro said:
Aren't you the guy that doesn't like original car colors changed? I think I got some grief from you previously on that subject when I changed my car from original lime gold to candyapple red. Seems to be a personal peference on your part and I understand that. So, by the same token, I think mixing Ford and Chevy and Mopar parts is a dumb think to do unless you're Chuck Barris and your making a Monkey car or Batmobile. Look at the resto shows on the Speed Channel or TLC. Barry White and Skip Foose modify Chevy's, Ford's and Mopar's, but when he resto-mods them, he doesn't put a chevy motor in a Plymouth. Just looks better, worth more and is a more of a pure restoration to stick with original branded parts. To each his own as we always say, but that's my personal view.
Does that explain it?
Steve

Yep, I get it. You think the car is worth more with Ford parts. I really wasn't taking a shot at you. I was genuinely curious about what the reasons might be.

I thought you might have been alluding to the fact that nothing would line up and there could be an excessive amount of work to do to get the parts to fit, or something like that. And I agree that spending 1000 hours to make 2 door handles fit would not time well spent.

Sorry if my reply annoyed you.

Perkchiro

Exactly. I don't think one domestic car company trumps another, although Ford hit a home run with the Mustang. I think most car restoration enthusiasts would agree that maintaining Chevy parts with Chevy cars and Ford parts with Ford cars maintains the undiluted "flavor" of the car and brand image. Imagine a HEMI in a Ford Mustang. It would take a lot of modification to do it and for what benefit or reason? That's just my view on it and I certainly would understand criticism of my opinion.
No Arlie, you didn't annoy me. It takes a lot these days to get my goat. In return, I hope I didn't get yours. We share a common admiration for a wonderful automobile. Keep those posts flying!:smile:

Steve