• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Console, steering wheel resto.

ironhorse

That's EXACTLY like mine ... I thought maybe it was a '70s or '80s add-on. BTW, I didn't know I had a deluxe steering wheel (in a black standard interior) until days after I bought my car. I just assumed it was a standard black wheel under that cover ...
Kevin

nfrntau

EXACTLY, that should give a little creedence to them being original. I believe mine is still in great shape. I will be keeping it as is for my restoration.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

As promised, here's my report on steering wheel restoration. I discovered that the local auto paint store had a POR-15 kit in stock so I went to pick it up. Turns out most of the kit is tools such as hacksaw, drill bits, sandpaper and blocks, aerosol sprayer, etc., and a small piece of two part epoxy putty. I figured heck with that. I put my wheel in my media blast cabinet to clean the cracks and picked up a product called Devcon at the hardware store. It's a marine plastic epoxy putty that looks like a big green and white tootsie roll. After a couple hours of sanding when it was dry, I started putting on thin coats of the same spray I used for my dash pad. It turned out great! Two of my rim cracks were about 1/4" and if you look, you can find them but the small ones blended right in. It's not a concours job but for a driver or peoples choice car, it's fine and it only cost me $2.77 plus tax. Book report over. ;D
Steve

PFSlim

Steve

Did you every decide if you wanted my console top or not? It is automatic and light blue. Otherwise, I will take it to a swap meet here in KC in a couple of weeks.

Paul

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I patched the small rip in my top and it isn't too bad, so I think I'll pass but thanks for the offer.
Steve