• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Clutch Information

Mosesatm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fairly soft clutch that will survive an engine with 300 torques? I've driven a few manual transmission California Specials and noticed a huge difference in the force required to engage the clutches but don't know why there is such a difference.

I know diddlysquat about clutches so any advice, no matter how basic, would be appreciated.

Thanks
Arlie

Ruppstang

You may look in to a hydraulic clutch, it requires less effort. I have a friend who had good luck with a Center Force clutch. But what would a concours guy know, I would ask Rob our modification expert.

robert campbell

Arlie,
A stock replacement clutch is all you need. It will handle mild builds just fine. I have been getting my clutches through Modern Driveline or Mustangs Plus. They supply Superior clutches that in my experience are the "cadillac" of clutches. You can talk directly to Superior and you will find out that they are almost hand built one at a time. He will steer you based on your conversation, but the organic 10 or 10.5 should do you just great with a stock linkage.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/clutches.htm

I have the Kevlar/Kevlar, 10.5" Super Duty in Val's car with their hydraulic clutch conversion. I have some minor experience with Centerforce and have not really heard anything bad about them. They are supposed to use weights and centrifugal force to increase pressure plate squeeze. We have one in my brothers 1967 Fastback with a Mcleod hydraulic throw-out bearing. It has a very nice light feel. Actually a little lighter than Val's car.

I think the stock stuff will do you good. No need to go to exotic stuff. Part of the reason I went to hydraulic was due to header clearance for the Z bar.

If I was doing a T5 conversion I would look at the cable clutch conversion. Really cleans up a lot of stuff and a very easy install. Had one of those on Val's car also. Went to hydraulic to reduce pedal effort in her car. As luck would have it, I still have the Modern Driveline cable conversion if you want it.

Rob