• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Black Out Blinker Hood

J_Speegle

Would the 1111 be for the Aniversary Gold, since it was not a regular Mustang production color.

That (with a two digit district number on the front) would have been the special order number of a group of 66 (in this example) Anniversary Gold Mustangs it appears but if you had another special order number (for example 561111) from another district that likely identified a taxi cab or a 1 ton truck painted John Deere green (just an example).

Now if a Mustang buyer in Buffalo didn't like the RPO colors and choose the same color from the Fleet Color book it would have been built without a color code on the door tag and a different (example 370158) DSO code. Each of these cars was suppose to get an envelope in the glove box with a copy of the special order paperwork to explain to the servicing dealership what the non-RPO item was on the car.

I've owned more than a half dozen of these special order cars - currently a special order paint 69 CJ Mach I

The first book is dead wrong on the anniversary gold thing. The confusion lies with the special order code of 1111.

"In 1966, a rumored 50 special ordered Anniversary Gold Mustangs were built as part of the Millionth Mustang Anniversary, special order number 1111 and sent to dealerships across the nation........."

Wonder what the rest of the DSO was on those cars - guess I could look it up.

In any case you might have a point considering the understanding of things in the 80's is not what it is today. IMHO it was be a heck of a coincidence to have two groups of cars built two years apart sharing the same special order number (well at least the last half) and the same exterior color.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The first book is dead wrong on the anniversary gold thing. The confusion lies with the special order code of 1111.

....In 1966, a rumored 50 special ordered Anniversary Gold Mustangs were built as part of the Millionth Mustang Anniversary, special order number 1111 and sent to dealerships across the nation. Of the few that have been found, the common features include that they are all hardtops and have C-code 289ci 2-barrel V8 engine, pony interior, steel styled wheels, and special Anniversary Gold paint. We are researching more information as well as trying to figure out the purpose for the three Anniversary Gold 1967 Mustang paints.

Found here.
http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/gold_mustang.shtml

Scott,
I cannot figure out where you dig all this stuff up! I need to absorbe what all this means.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rob,
My Dad has a 68 Mustang GT S Code Coupe. It is Sunlit Gold W/ blacked out hood and the color code is Y5. It was built in San Jose. I'll try to get his Marti report and add it to this thread. Marty

Marty,

It just keeps getting weirder!!

Rob

Ruppstang

Rob,
Here is a little more on the color code w/ 5
Marty

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpeg
    GetAttachment.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

....In 1966, a rumored 50 special ordered Anniversary Gold Mustangs were built as part of the Millionth Mustang Anniversary, special order number 1111 and sent to dealerships across the nation. Of the few that have been found, the common features include that they are all hardtops and have C-code 289ci 2-barrel V8 engine, pony interior, steel styled wheels, and special Anniversary Gold paint. We are researching more information as well as trying to figure out the purpose for the three Anniversary Gold 1967 Mustang paints.

Found here.
http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/gold_mustang.shtml

Scott,
This link confuses me a bunch. It says that the GNS is anniversary gold. Same color code "Y" as a sunlit gold car. Marty's picture at least clears up, in my mind, the 5 being for the black out hood.

So does the 1111 denote the special paint anniversary gold but can use the Y color code?

Tried to find a place to ask this site a question. No joy!

For gods sake, what color was a GNS!! The Ford ads of the times say sunlit gold?

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Arlie,
I did and that is what corn-fused me. Trying to figure out where they got their data from, or a way to contact them to ask.

Rob

CougarCJ

Scott,
This link confuses me a bunch. It says that the GNS is anniversary gold. Same color code "Y" as a sunlit gold car. Marty's picture at least clears up, in my mind, the 5 being for the black out hood.

So does the 1111 denote the special paint anniversary gold but can use the Y color code?

Tried to find a place to ask this site a question. No joy!

For gods sake, what color was a GNS!! The Ford ads of the times say sunlit gold?

Rob

Rob, Kevin Marti in his book COUGAR.... by the Numbers 1967-1973 has a section regarding 'Specials'.

Local Programs with Factory Support​

Certain districts had a tight enough dealership program they were able to collect enough pre-orders and convince Mercury to built special Cougars for their district. Generally, these promotions would consist of Cougars painted in colors not listed in the sales brochure and special badging applied at the dealer. The Denver district had the Ski-Pac and Pacific Canada had the Vancouver Special. These programs were actually called out on the window sticker. Special pricing was negotiated between Mercury and the district for these packages.

Substitute Ford for Mercury and Mustang for Cougar and it kind of clears the muddy water.

http://www.mustangspecs.com/specialty/golden.shtml

The Golden Nugget Special Mustang was sold out of the Seattle District Sales office in 1968. All were sunlit yellow mustangs which featured unique golden plaques on the dashboard with the original owner's name engraved. The Golden Nugget Specials only totaled 525, and featured the special yellow paint along with the louvered hood and black stripes. All of the GNS Mustangs feature the DSO (74) along with the four digits 1111 and the color code (Y).

They should have included the black C stripes in the above.

Rob, relooking at your Marti report.

Your car is listed as "Local Promotion".
Note also the statistics list 8067 cars with black out hood treatment.:grin:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
"Sunlit Yellow"!!! I am going over the edge now!! What the hell color is a GNS supposed to be?? AAAAHHHHAAAAA!

Rob

CougarCJ

Scott,
"Sunlit Yellow"!!! I am going over the edge now!! What the hell color is a GNS supposed to be?? AAAAHHHHAAAAA!

Rob

Sunlit yellow is the color. Color code "Y".

Gold Nugget Special is the promotional package name.

See also "Blue Bonnet Special" aka "Lone Star Limited" 1967 Sport Sprint Mustang.

"Twister Specials" 1970 Mustang and Torino. Grabber Orange or Vermillion or Calypso Coral, out of Kansas City DSO 53.

Not to be outdone, "Sidewinder Special" 1970 Mustang Sportsroof. Grabber Orange or Vermillion, or Calypso Coral, out of Omaha, Neb. DSO 54.

"Winchester Special" 1968 Ford Bronco.

"Rocky Mountain Sportsman's Special" 1968 Ford Bronco, F100/F250. Color choices of Boulder Bronze, Mountain Green, or Sky Blue.

Is your head ready to explode yet? LOL.

Ruppstang

I think it is the same color. Ford oftened changed the name of the color, not the color. In 68 for Ford Y was called Sunlit Gold, Mercury Y was called Grecian Gold and Lincoln Y was called Chancery Gold. All had the same paint codes 4874. Sometimes when model year ended Ford changed the color name but not the color. I don't know if this helps Rob but I think we are getting closer. Marty

The fact that they used the color code Y tells me it has to be Sunlit Gold other wise it would have been left blank like other special paints. Just a thought

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott!! Stop the torture!!! "everthing tastes better with blue bonnet on it"

Have I told you I am the king of old jingles?? Don't start me on cigarette jingles!!! :grin:

Marty, I think you have something. I do not have my original door plate and it very well may have been blank. The funny thing is I feel that the paint I have on the floor pans (near the door jams) where sun never hit it is not sunlit gold. It is a browner, pardon "dirtier" color from sunlit gold cars in IMO. This is a case when you need two samples side by side in the same light. I may be all wet and it is sunlit gold. Cracks me up on how many "names" we have in the thread for the color gold.

Rob

Mosesatm

Attachments

• mump_0105_43_z+classic_mustang_paint+anniversary_gold.jpg
    mump_0105_43_z+classic_mustang_paint+anniversary_gold.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 34
  • mump_0406_001_z+1966_ford_mustang+front_view.jpg
    mump_0406_001_z+1966_ford_mustang+front_view.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 24
  • mump_0406_012_z+1966_ford_mustang+rear_view.jpg
    mump_0406_012_z+1966_ford_mustang+rear_view.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

CougarCJ

Scott!! Stop the torture!!! "everthing tastes better with blue bonnet on it"

Have I told you I am the king of old jingles?? Don't start me on cigarette jingles!!! :grin:

Marty, I think you have something. I do not have my original door plate and it very well may have been blank. The funny thing is I feel that the paint I have on the floor pans (near the door jams) where sun never hit it is not sunlit gold. It is a browner, pardon "dirtier" color from sunlit gold cars in IMO. This is a case when you need two samples side by side in the same light. I may be all wet and it is sunlit gold. Cracks me up on how many "names" we have in the thread for the color gold.

Rob

Rob, what ever your Marti report shows is what your door tag included. Marti says your car was a Gold Nugget Special supported by DSO 741111, so it would not have a blank paint code.

Do you know the Maple Loops song? LOL It's mapleiscious!

franklinair

Sunlit Gold as on my '68 convertible, and I think Casey's C/S is the same color.

Last edited:

6t8-390gt

Ford was definately pushing the Sunlit Gold Paint #3073-A in 1968. "Dealer promotions" was also something Ford did quite often as some are noted on this thread.

Here is a link to some known '68 Mustangs

http://webspace.webring.com/people/im/mustangs68/specials.html

I have a Marti report for a Y5 '68 Mustang I once owned 8T01J108480; it was built on 09/05/67. It had 14 factory options and the Marti report lists the order type as "Local Promotion" although it only has a 2 digit DSO. I have seen two others optioned identically and sold out of the same New Jersey area. I always thought it was "special"; but I haven't been to confirm number or the "local promotion." I also haven't tried too hard since I no longer own the car.

Rob, at least you know your car is one of the Gold Nugget Specials.

Danny