• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

AirFest 2013...

Midnight Special

...Well, it's that time of year again when I put away the cars & get busy with planes. Not totally off-topic with "Mustangs" though. Rather six of the legendary P-51 types are scheduled to arrive here in Grass Valley for our show (and my 14th year as director :)

Here's the line up:
http://www.horsedesigns.com/airfest/latestgreatest.html

There will be some GT/CSs in the mix. Renee "Ponygal", 1 or 2 of mine and perhaps some others. We're also going BIG on planes to include this Douglass DC-4 (plus a B-25 and Lockheed Harpoon) for extra shade on the ground and drama in the air!

A classy and elegant hangar party featuring Moonlight Swing Big Band, the 22-pc Glenn Miller era USO show will precede the AirFest on Friday night.

Come see us if you can. You won't be disappointed :)

Attachments

• 13AFposter2-e.jpg
    13AFposter2-e.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 0253.jpg
    0253.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0284.jpg
    DSC_0284.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0198.jpg
    DSC_0198.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 58
  • dc4rc-e.jpg
    dc4rc-e.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

ah, the "flying coffin"!!!

...Naw, you're thinking of the TBD Devastator, the TBM's predecessor... The TBMs were a lot more stout. 'Flew well into the 1950s for the Navy then as tankers / sprayers up until a couple of years ago. Around 50 are still flyable today. Grass Valley nested scores of them during the 1960s.

Attachments

• PICT0077.jpg
    PICT0077.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 31

robert campbell

My small recollection of the TBM Avenger was it was the torpedo "bomber" for the Navy in early WWII. They flew in very close to the water and launched the torpedo form a large bombay door. Basically coming in broadside to the ship they wished to "torpedo". They then banked right or left or tried to go straight up over the ship.

Either which way, they were exposed to the broadside gunnery of the ship they tried to sink. They were slow and a sitting duck trying to perform this maneuver!

Many a pilot died flying these.... Hence the name the "flying coffin".

Do I have that mixed upped? I distinctly remember the name "Avenger".

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Rob, in that context and era, anything with a propeller was a "flying coffin". I won't bore the gang further with the huge losses in all theaters of the Big One, or the courage of our greatest generation in pulling us out of desperation into victory on all fronts.

But for the stories and research passed on to me from the ones there (parents, grandparents, uncles, etc...) is why I do this...raise a crapload of $$, buy many tons of avgas, invite the biggest and most historic planes that will fit on our little airport and treat those owner/restorer/pilots to the best USO show money can buy before the entire community. And if I do it well, the young kids with all their electronic gadgets may leave with a little foundational "awe", and some realization that freedom ain't free, nor was the evolution of technology easy!

As for the planes... TBDs were early 1930s, slow and underpowered with entire squadrons blown out of the air early on. TBMs evolved to do the same job, only better...>

Attachments

• tb.jpg
    tb.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 33

robert campbell

Tim,
I had models of the Hellcat, Hell Diver, Dauntless Dive Bomber, and the TBM Avenger. P-39 Air Cobra, P-38 Lighting, and of course the P-51 Mustang. All as a very young man!

I loved the stories and the advancements through World War II. The ingenuity and the courage of our nation to go from airplanes that could barely compete to the ones in the last couple years that dominated the air!!

I especially remember the Pacific theater and the impact of the Hellcat. Designed with the folding wings for the Carriers and with more power and better armor than the Zero's.

I have a tiny fraction of your knowledge!!! But I love to talk and learn about them!!

Rob

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Fun at the July 4 parade....

....with TJ's latest '68 and Renee in a red Tri-plane :) We also kicked off the event with a fly-over of 3 vintage AT-6s

Attachments

• _DSC0007.jpg
    _DSC0007.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_7471.jpg
    DSC_7471.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 36
  • _DSC0034.jpg
    _DSC0034.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_7443.jpg
    DSC_7443.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_7446.jpg
    DSC_7446.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_7429.jpg
    DSC_7429.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_7415.jpg
    DSC_7415.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_7448.jpg
    DSC_7448.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 35

PonyGal

Tim,

You don't know how much FUN I had riding in that float for the 4th of July parade!!! I could hear the crowd really cheering for AirFest, and I could see them grabbing up all the flyers that our team were passing out. It was a wonderful experience, and, once again, you made it so much fun!! The pictures are great and I am showing them to all of my friends and family to show them the awesome 4th of July that I had!! Thank you for giving me that opportunity!! Also, I call "dibs" on the Tri-Plane float for the next parade!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I AM SO LOOKING FORWORD TO NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Friday Night AirFest...The best sponsors, best pilots, best planes, best volunteers, best guests... Sure to make for the best AirFest on Saturday!

Attachments

• _DSC0219.jpg
    _DSC0219.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0193.jpg
    _DSC0193.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0126.jpg
    _DSC0126.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 29
  • _DSC0084.jpg
    _DSC0084.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC0158.jpg
    _DSC0158.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC0133.jpg
    _DSC0133.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0198.jpg
    _DSC0198.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC0190.jpg
    _DSC0190.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC0252.jpg
    _DSC0252.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC0223.jpg
    _DSC0223.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 23

x-codegtcs

Rob, in that context and era, anything with a propeller was a "flying coffin". I won't bore the gang further with the huge losses in all theaters of the Big One, or the courage of our greatest generation in pulling us out of desperation into victory on all fronts.

But for the stories and research passed on to me from the ones there (parents, grandparents, uncles, etc...) is why I do this...raise a crapload of $$, buy many tons of avgas, invite the biggest and most historic planes that will fit on our little airport and treat those owner/restorer/pilots to the best USO show money can buy before the entire community. And if I do it well, the young kids with all their electronic gadgets may leave with a little foundational "awe", and some realization that freedom ain't free, nor was the evolution of technology easy!

As for the planes... TBDs were early 1930s, slow and underpowered with entire squadrons blown out of the air early on. TBMs evolved to do the same job, only better...>

Tim - I love air plane and air shows - especially the old war birds. I don't know if you or the pilots who will be at your air show will be interested, but I have a small company that sells GA pilot gear. If you are interested and have enough time to convey the info, and as a thank you for your pilots, have any of them contact me and I will give them each a free item and will ship it to them. Our site is www.skyhighgear.com. They will need to contact me to make the arrangements and to keep things sane send me a list of names. They can contact me via the web site.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Awesome show on Saturday with some great photo ops :)

Attachments

• _DSC0559.jpg
    _DSC0559.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC0713.jpg
    _DSC0713.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 25
  • _DSC0509.jpg
    _DSC0509.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0800.jpg
    _DSC0800.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC0941.jpg
    _DSC0941.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 25
  • _DSC0924.jpg
    _DSC0924.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim - I love air plane and air shows - especially the old war birds. I don't know if you or the pilots who will be at your air show will be interested, but I have a small company that sells GA pilot gear. If you are interested and have enough time to convey the info, and as a thank you for your pilots, have any of them contact me and I will give them each a free item and will ship it to them. Our site is www.skyhighgear.com. They will need to contact me to make the arrangements and to keep things sane send me a list of names. They can contact me via the web site.

...That's all well & good and good on you, but I don't pass along anything as this. I'm only sharing results of owner/pilot generosity and some huge fun we had because of their trust plus lots of dedicated volunteers working tirelessly at what they love to do. There is nothing in it for me as to whether or not you can come along and make a buck from it...

Off topic as it is, we just like to showcase some unique ways we incorporate our Mustangs into other nostalgia. But without mechanical, perfection or restoration issues, I guess I'm just wasting my time here....>

Last edited:

x-codegtcs

Tim - I am not sure how I would make a buck at it as I was offering the flight gear for free. But I guess I must not have been very clear about that. Sounds like I am a day late and dollar short to make good on the offer anyway. Well good on ya for taking on a great endeavor. I am sure the many who came have hours of enjoyment.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim - I am not sure how I would make a buck at it as I was offering the flight gear for free. But I guess I must not have been very clear about that. Sounds like I am a day late and dollar short to make good on the offer anyway. Well good on ya for taking on a great endeavor. I am sure the many who came have hours of enjoyment.

Well, Please accept my sincere apology. I mistakenly thought it was a pitch (which is something you never do with these guys if you want them to keep coming)

The Warbird community here has become as much the family as this group including a P-51 pilot who has a Highland Green 390 GT/CS! They come here at minimum cost and fly like crazy men for us because of how we respect & treat them. We do this as a means to get people away from their computers & cell phones and up close with some real drama and history. We then take what we earn and provide aviation scholarships to deserving teens ($50,000 to date + $6,000 last month) with a dozen becoming licensed pilots since 1997.

Like the GT/CS, the warbirds are the catalyst. The ultimate atmosphere becomes the bond...

Attachments

• DSC_7591.JPG
    DSC_7591.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC0538.jpg
    _DSC0538.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC0660.JPG
    _DSC0660.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 21
  • _DSC0622.JPG
    _DSC0622.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0232.JPG
    _DSC0232.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 21
  • _DSC0216.jpg
    _DSC0216.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC0011.JPG
    _DSC0011.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_7580.JPG
    DSC_7580.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0835.JPG
    _DSC0835.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 19
  • _DSC0847.JPG
    _DSC0847.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 19

robert campbell

Tim,
AWESOME PICTURES! Now darn please tell me that one of those (big an bulky, blue two seater with the rear facing machine gun) was a TBM?? What a great show. I will be retired finally this time next year. I would cherish the time to help and experience this show with you.

Yes, all I need to do is show up!! I cannot imagine the sounds of these aircraft. The history, the pride of the pilots! Wow!!

Good on you for all your tireless work!

Rob