• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

8 Track

somethingspecial

Mosesatm said:
Paris Hilton
Thanks Arlie, now I have to clean the coffee off of my computer screen. Drip, Drip. I need to learn not to take a sip before I read. LOL. Good one! Mike

Midnight Special

somethingspecial said:
When I met Tim, (Midnight Special) over 25 years ago, he was driving his yellow 69 Mach 1, It had an underdash 8 track with a "Supertramp, Breakfast in America" tape in it. I was at his place about 3 weeks ago looking at his Yellow Mach 1, and it has an underdash 8 track player in it with "Supertramp, Breakfast in America" tape in it. Some things never change. LOL. Mike

...'Still there Mike :) along with STYX, Doobie Brothers, 'a couple from Boston,
and uh... uhh... Barry Manilow? (eeesh) Now that had to be a GIFT from a girlfriend!!
;-)

OP
OP
case12

case12

Nathan said:
Mine still has the original AM/ 8-Track player in it - it even has the original mono speaker up front. The 8-track player no longer works though and I can't find anyone around here who can fix it - so for now it just provides a place to hold my Johnny Cash tape.

Does the sound not work, or does it just not change tracks? Long ago, I used to work on 8 track players. (back in the day when "Hey Jude" and "Houses of the Holy" were popular - I think one of the last 8 tracks I bought was "Beast of Burden" before switching to casette). Casey

Nathan

It seems to just do nothing when I put a tape in, Casey. I took it apart one day to see if anything obvious was broken or missing but it all seems to be in place - belts, pulleys and all. The AM radio still works fine, but the original speaker sounds awful, as you might expect a 38 year old speaker would!

Nathan

Midnight Special

Nathan said:
It seems to just do nothing when I put a tape in, Casey. I took it apart one day to see if anything obvious was broken or missing but it all seems to be in place - belts, pulleys and all. The AM radio still works fine, but the original speaker sounds awful, as you might expect a 38 year old speaker would!

Nathan

Nathan, does the unit run at all? The belt may be hard w/ the pulley turning inside w/o the belt moving. Mine would do that often...

somethingspecial

joedls said:
Why do you carry sticks in your car :confused: :confused: :confused:
Sticks are carried to educate KIDS on knowing old rock and roll!!!!!!! Care for a lesson?!?!?! LOL Just kidding Joe. Mike

Mosesatm

There are many different versions of such sticks. A little higher quality version was called "Boston".:wink:

somethingspecial

Mosesatm said:
There are many different versions of such sticks. A little higher quality version was called "Boston".:wink:
True Arlie, But it was the LED ZEPPELINS and the IRON BUTTERFLIES you had to worry about. Mike
OH, this was about 8 tracks. Properly used, that is exactly what they could leave. ha ha

joedls

somethingspecial said:
True Arlie, But it was the LED ZEPPELINS and the IRON BUTTERFLIES you had to worry about. Mike
OH, this was about 8 tracks. Properly used, that is exactly what they could leave. ha ha

OK, you guys have really lost me now. Must be that age thing again.

Mosesatm

That's right. Sorry, Joe. I keep forgetting that you were out of the music scene by the time 8-tracks came out.

OP
OP
case12

case12

somethingspecial said:

Wow! It has been a long time since someone mentioned Iron Butterfly. That was some 'drug'd up' music. I had 'In a Gadadavidi' (sp?) on LP. (I will admit that is starting to get to my much younger years)

Thanks everyone for responding to the 8 Track question. It would be cool to have one of those in my GT/CS.

Nathan, I found that often the belts slipped off, or the motor was bad. However, you mention it does nothing. Do you hear the 'click' when you try to change tracks? If not, you're unit may not be getting power. Often the power is initiated by pushing the tape in (a lever switch is pushed in by the tape case and connects the power to the unit). See if you hear the click by changing the tracks first (with tape in) - if so, then it may be a belt or motor. If not, then it may be the switch.

Thanks, Casey

somethingspecial

OK JOE, I accept your surrender. When you come up for the Second Annual GT/CS Bar B Que this August, Yes, We are going to do it again, I will educate you, without sticks, on true Rock and Roll. Mike

joedls

somethingspecial said:
OK JOE, I accept your surrender. When you come up for the Second Annual GT/CS Bar B Que this August, Yes, We are going to do it again, I will educate you, without sticks, on true Rock and Roll. Mike

Since no one on this thread mentioned Lynrd Skynyrd, I assumed you weren't talking about "true Rock and Roll". :grin:

somethingspecial

joedls said:
Since no one on this thread mentioned Lynrd Skynyrd, I assumed you weren't talking about "true Rock and Roll". :grin:
Lynard Skynard is Southern Fried Rock. Like Molly Hatchet. HA I have those on LP. Mike

Last edited: