• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

6 Cylinder Cars

Mosesatm

Over the years I've restored a GT/CS and I've built a fake. Both were daily drivers. One is in the original registry and on the back cover.

It's now time to again restore one or build one and I wonder what you all (I haven't lived in Texas long enough to say "y'all") think the ultimate modified GT/CS daily driver would be. Here are my thoughts.

Since real GT/CSs are getting a little too expensive to modify I think I need to start with a regular Mustang. A a rust free or low rust 6-cylinder '67 or '67 coupe or convertible, add all the appropriate GT/CS fiberglass and other parts but make the following changes:

Take the engine and transmission from a Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35, or similar car. Nissan's 3.5L V6 puts out nearly net 300hp while the original Shelbys put out 306 gross horsepower. Also drop in the manualmatic transmission. I agree that there is nothing like a 4-speed but the new combo units are sweet and nearly as much fun. I don't think that combination would be any heavier than the original straight six and transmission so we're talking about a fairly light high-powered Mustang. It should be able to dust some of the big blocks.

The old differential would need to be upgraded but that is an easy swap. Oh, did I forget to mention that the cost of this car needs to be reasonable. I'd love to use the Infiniti independent rear suspension but that would be a little tricky, and expensive.

I would definitely install LED taillights since the original Mustang headlight switch was never designed for all those GT/CS lights. I think that is the main reason so many of you are having headlight switch problems. Another way around that problem is to have the headlight switch just operate a relay or a switch that then runs power to the taillights. Instead of running the juice for all those lights through the headlight switch you are just operating one tiny relay.

New disk brakes all around and the electric seats out of a newer car would be about the only other changes.

Does anyone else have any other ideas, or better ideas?

One of these days I'll build a fake Lil Red or the Green Hornet but not with this car. Maybe the next one.

Oh, by the way, the scoop stripes would read "GT/SC" after the prototype. That should be an obvious clue to those in the know that the car is not a real GT/CS.

junkgtcs

well the only thing i have to say is if your going to build a replica gt/cs at leased start with a 68 mustang

Mustanglvr

::) Gee, why don`t you just buy a new mustang? And for God`s sake if you put a foreign motor in a classic Mustang don`t ever show it to anybody! If you`re gonna make a clone you might as well do it right. I know, I know, you should make it anyway that makes you happy, but I personally think what you`ve just described insults the integrity and the whole idea of being a classic Mustang. Now thats my 2 cents worth. Rhonda

68gt390

Rhonda;
Well said.

Mosesatm:
If you've got the money to build what I call a "Resto Mod" just buy yourself a Nissan Maxima, or Infiniti G35 then look for the big blocks and save the additional cost. Oh, by the way if you ever get that thing done let me know, I've got a big block you can try and dust. 8) As a matter of fact I've got two. You know what they say "to each his own".

Don ::)

hookedtrout

Just put the GT/SC stripes on the Maxima and save yourself some work. The seats are probably a lot more comfortable you won't have to worry about swapping the rear suspension and I'll bet those Japanese light switches are bullet prof, oh and did I mention that the interior is probably a lot quieter especially since the motor sounds like a sewing machine instead of a MUSCLE CAR, unless you put one of those cannon sized exhaust systems out the back, that would look awesome...but you'd lose the quiet effect I guess.

Foreign motor in a Mustang ::) I think I'm feeling a bit ill. :p

No foreign models parked in my garage, never has been never will be, made in America or not. Nissan, Yota all foreign to me, I don't care where the plant is located the guy banking the money isn't my neighbor. 4 Fords and one Jeep in my garages.

Dang purists anyway! Sorry ;D couldn't resist. No offense, it's yours.

Hook

65stang

If you want an infinity, I will sell you my 91 Q45.
The local mustang place will sell you the california mustang labels for it.
I have a 68 mustang 302 that needs finishing. I also have a 65 mustang, 289 with matching numbers.
The last time I heard something as insane as putting foreign motors in a mustang was when my son was on hard drugs and tried to convince me to chop and lower a stock 65 mustang with matching numbers

case12

A resto mod would be cool to have. My wife wont drive either of the classics because she has forgotten how to drive a car without fuel injection, disc brakes, and good steering. (Well, the real story is she stopped driving them when I once yelled at her to steer around a water puddle in the road - I think that is the real reason). But, I would not restomod something like a GT/CS or a Shelby - too much collector value and history to mess around with. If you are going to do a resto mod on a classic Mustang, please consider a 4.6 or 5.0 - that is the route I would want to go. My wife has asked me to consider this route as a next project for a coupe for her to drive (through the puddles). Casey

CobraMan

Since you are new to Texas, your project would probably be welcomed in "Sections" of Houston that are ethnic oriented. Have you considered any curb feelers and making it a low rider as well? Since it sounds like you're going to go all out on this project, a hand paint job would really add to the, "Look".

You may also want to consider bullet proof glass. That should keep you alive for a bit longer.

Mustanglvr

:;) Alright! let him have it guys. Hey Paul, whats your take on this? Rhonda

Russ

Boy, this is a TOUGH group!!! My take on any restoration/resto-mod is that the owner makes the decisions about his/her car and then enjoys the final product. The latest "Mustang Monthly" and "Mustang and Fords" featured resto-mod projects that were pretty wild, and this seems to be the "in" thing to do. These modified cars are bringing high dollars and in some cases bring more than an original restoration!!

If a person has the money to complete a quality, modified Mustang, then "go for it." I truly believe that if a car is restored with someone else's beliefs in mind, or a car is built to please a particular group, the owner will be frustrated and the car will not be what the owner intended. I say push the limits!!

My three cents,
Russ

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Wow, finally some life in this message board!

I want to thank all of you for your eloquent responses to my question. I also want to challenge you to go drive an Infiniti G35 or a BMW 330, or a Lincoln LS. Drive it hard and see if you don’t find yourself thinking 2 thoughts,
1) This thing is a blast to drive but for what it costs I could buy 2 perfect California Specials, and insurance, and gas.
2) If only this thing had a California Special body on it we’d really have something.

Those were my thoughts, anyway, and since I knew I don’t have the time, patience, money, or skill to install a GT/CS body on any of those cars I tried to figure out what would be the next best thing. As I see it that would be to take the engine and transmission out of a wrecked rear-drive (is the LS rear drive?) performance sedan and put it into a 67 or 68 coupe or convertible. (I apologize to everyone for the double ’67 typo in the opening diatribe.)

As you’ve probably noticed 289 automatic ’67 and ’68 coupes are steadily going up in price and the big blocks coupes are totally out of sight. So what’s left. Aha, the 6-cylinder coupes that people can’t seem to give away (another apology to all you 6-cylinder owners). That is why I need a 6-cylinder engine for my perfect daily driver and I mentioned the Nissan 3.5L because it is a powerful, plentiful, mass-produced engine. I thought about the engine from the Lincoln LS but I don’t know how rare it is. This is just thinking out loud right now so I still need to do more research. Maybe there are even better engines out there and I don’t know about them. In fact, I owned a ‘93 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the 3.4L SOHC six and it was a fantastic engine. It was also an extremely rare and expensive engine so it is probably off the list.

Carroll Shelby saw the light and is building hopped up ‘68 fastbacks so fastback prices are already going through the roof. Besides, who wants an Eleanor that costs more than a house in Houston’s “ethnic” section, (real nice racist comment CobraMan) and looks just like your neighbors Eleanor? No way. Give me a GT/CS any day. Everyone knows what a Shelby is and what Eleanor is but California Specials are still a novelty, and a good looking one to boot. That is why the new 2005 Mustang is such a success. It’s an old-looking Mustang with all new stuff.

And that is what Case12 understands. Case12 is obviously a beautiful person, a free thinker, a person willing to take chances, probably a genius, and certainly a Mustang nut. Don’t be surprised to see Russ and he take this rough idea, polish it, build California Special clones with 300hp 6-cyliner engines, and retire in Tahiti in 10 years, millionaires. Then their wives can hit all the potholes they want and we’ll still be writing to each other wondering what just why we don’t hear from them any more!

I have a special (pun not intended) for California Specials and I certainly don’t want to diminish their stature in any way with my idea. I see it more as flattery to the breed than an insult to it. Truth be told I would love to have another California Special. In fact I took at look at a blue on in Tacoma last week, (no air and a bad paint job) but if I get one I’ll just worry about it all the time. I don’t mean to speak poorly of the loves of our lives but the old girls are pushing 40. Cars have improved greatly over the years and there should be a way to tie the best of the old with the best of the new and make a great looking car that both my wife and I will love to drive. Besides, nothing would be more fun than blowing the doors on some snot nosed punk in a V8 Camaro with my 6 cylinder Mustang!

Please remember I’m talking about doing this work on a standard 6-cylinder Mustang…..not a GT/CS or a GT or a Shelby.

Sorry if I offended anyone with the idea………except with the possible exception of Hoodedontrout. Hook it’s only fair to you that I assume your comments were at least a little tongue-in-cheek. I couldn’t tell. Dry humor is easily lost when written. If it was I apologize for what I thought about you. If it wasn’t humor I’ll be happy to send you some Band-aids for your pavement scraped knuckles.

68gt390

Mosesatm;
Here's a thought. Find a wrecked SVT Contour and use that motor. My son has one that he purchased while still in college but, with all his add on's that little thing flys. Ported and Polished aluminum heads, paxton supercharger and special built headers. For a little 6 banger it's hard to beat. Plus, it's a FORD.
Just a thought.

Don

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Thank you 68gt390.

That is a fantastic idea. I had forgotten all about the SVT group. Those types of light over-powered cars usually ended up wrecked and the yards should be full of those and similar engines.

Our '94 Explorer had the high output 6 that made the same horsepower as the 8. I'd forgotten all aboutr that engine too.

My hope is that since everyone wants V8s the sixes should be reasonably priced. They're out there, all I have to do is find them.

Shelby even built some hot rod Chargers but I think those were 4s. I just can't do a 4. I do have some pride.

hookedtrout

I have a feeling I could drive all the Infinity models they make and the thought of dropping any part of the car on to my Mustang would never cross my mind. The entire thrill of owning an original Muscle car era car FOR ME is to get in, feel the rumble and shake, feel the sway on the corners, feel the raw power unrestricted from 10 billion little micro chips, and computer widgets, unthrottled by smog junk, no air tight seal, noisy with the smell of raw fuel, I'm getting excited already.

If I got in my 68 Mustang GT/CS and it was quiet and smooth and held the road like a BMW sounded like a Mitsubishi and smelled like a flower garden I'd probably cry for a week. :'(

It might make me want an Infinity to drive one but to molest my Muscle with Steroids :eek: it would be a sin I couldn't partake in, I want my muscle pure and built up the way it was intended to be.

I grew up in the Muscle Car days and I long for the those days every day of my life. My kids, they drool over Grand Am's, makes me sick, GTO, Grand Am, G6, Grand Prix, they all look the same, where's the distinguishing design.

Don't let me discourage you, as was stated, when you slide into the seat you want it to fit your butt not mine. I have a garage full of 5 cars that fit my butt and a couple of them are quiet and comfortable (the wifes of course), the rest give me what I need on those days when I have the urge!!!!!!!! You know the urge, it has nothing to do with zoom zoom!

Just razzzzzzing you a bit, don't mind me! If you read completely through my first post you should have seen my appology and asking you not to be offended and condemning myself as a purist. (I was serious about this) "Dang purists anyway! Sorry couldn't resist. No offense, it's yours. " I'll still love ya even if it has an Infinity motor. To much hate in the world already and too many GM drivers. Peace man.

P.S. If my kid drags home a 66 Mustang and has a Mitsubishi engine he wants under the hood I'll be out there helping him do it. I'll cry, I'll shut the garage door so no one sees :'( but I'll help, it's his ya know, and he's mine, kind of. ;)

Hook

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I thought the "No offense, it's yours" meant you were just having fun but I've never heard that phrase before and wasn't sure.

I would love to have a built small block under the hood with a top loader backing it up, just for the rumble if nothing else. My first GT/CS was a 289-2V, 4-speed car and I loved it. And no-one laughs at those Hondas and Toyotas with their bull horn tail pipes and the mosquio-hooked-up-to-an-amp sounds they make more than me. I think, "If those kids only knew what a real engine is. But some of those stupid sounding rice rockets can blow by a Mustang with a stock 289 or 302 on the straights and can kill them in the twisties. Another option is to go with a big block but again the cost of those has gotten out of hand and all that weight places a tremendous load on the front end components.

So how can we get power without crushing the front end? Use a fairly cheap, off the rack, V6 from a newer car. Of course, we're talking computers and sensors and the rest of that nightmare so it may be more trouble than it's worth, but 300 net horsepower out of a lightweight V6 is just too tempting to pass up.

It might also be fun to do something but resotre the same cars with the same parts.

I know some of you will have a stoke over this but in my first GT?CS I installed '64 T-Bird seats and the deluxe interior from a wrecked '67 Mustang. It looked fantastic and nothing was cut or damaged. The seats were a challenge but since they took up the entire area from the door to the console it made the interior look more elegant. They also sat lower and were curved just enough to hold me in place when taking corners faster than was wise.

I've always felt that we should make our cars as perfect for us as we can. Most of you will never sell your cars anyway so go for it!

There, we've all spoken our minds and we are hopelessly divided on the issue. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my idea.

hookedtrout

I'm truely not opposed to mods. I had a 53 F100 pickup and it had 70's Tbird leather power seats in it, they were way more comfy than the original truck seats. It also had a full hydralic tilt front end and a 5" chopped top. The top chop I did, actually sold it before we sprayed it as word got around about the truck and offers started coming in and I couldn't refuse one, the tilt front end was complete when I bought the truck. I loved the truck it was a blast. Yes I wish now I hadn't sold it but it made a nice down payment on the house I now have.

Couldn't mod my CS however. Now my little Festiva...oportunity is unlimited! ;) Always pays to have one around that you can mess with when you get the urge so you leave the rare ones be. Jeeps give you lots of mod opportunity as well and they are a blast to go play with.

Hook