• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Need brake cylinder and booster unit for PB car

Forsche

I'd like to find an oem master cylinder and booster unit for Sara's CS. As mentioned in a previous post, the original owner removed the power brake unit from our car for some strange reason. Not sure if the parts differed for drum or disc options but ours is a front disc car. If you have or know where we can get these parts, I'm interested.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

franklinair

The MC SHOULD already be for disc. The PB pedal assembly was not replaced. Looked like the PO simply opted to eliminate the booster (which also required the re-routing of the lines coming from the MC due to it is now mounted directly to the firewall.

Neil

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Forsche

The MC SHOULD already be for disc. The PB pedal assembly was not replaced. Looked like the PO simply opted to eliminate the booster (which also required the re-routing of the lines coming from the MC due to it is now mounted directly to the firewall.

Neil

Thanks Neil. Good to know I won't need a different MC. Cougar, I do not have a core so need to find one.

Steve

Ruppstang

Boy that dude must be fun to stop! The correct booster is a Midlands that has a band clamp that runs around it. A Bendix that has a crimp around the case will work just fine but is not correct for 68.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Boy that dude must be fun to stop! The correct booster is a Midlands that has a band clamp that runs around it. A Bendix that has a crimp around the case will work just fine but is not correct for 68.

Thanks...I'll start the hunt. Are they hard to find?

Actually the car stops pretty well which I agree is a bit surprising.

Thanks for the help.

somethingspecial

Forsche, Try American Mustang in Sacramento, Ca. 916-635-7271. They have many used Mustang parts. I got a used Booster from them some time ago, and they may have more. I don't remember what I paid for it, but the one you found on Ebay seems a little high for a rusted up booster. If you find one, I recommend having it rebuilt by Power Brake Exchange in San Jose, Ca. Their contact info is: Power Brake Exchange, DBA Brake Supply, 260 Phelan Ave. San Jose, Ca. 95112 408-292-1305. They may even have a rebuilt one on the shelf. Hope these help.

di81977

I paid $50 for a correct Midlands booster and proportioning valve a couple years ago on Ebay. I ended up giving it away, but it probably would have bolted right in, certainly would have been a good core. Keep looking, you will find one for a reasonable price.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

I paid $50 for a correct Midlands booster and proportioning valve a couple years ago on Ebay. I ended up giving it away, but it probably would have bolted right in, certainly would have been a good core. Keep looking, you will find one for a reasonable price.

Apology for my ignorance but is the proportioning valve a separate part or is it
part of the midlands booster. Thanks for the suggestions on possible places to find one, Mike.

Steve

di81977

Separate item, but part of the brake system. In Neil's picture above, it is just to the right of the master cylinder. Looks like you are covered on that part.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Separate item, but part of the brake system. In Neil's picture above, it is just to the right of the master cylinder. Looks like you are covered on that part.

I love this site!! Thanks.

Ruppstang

When buying a core or remand booster it is very important to get the spacer that goes between the booster and master cylinder. It is a part that can be tough to find on its own.

Sarge

I would have to agree with Dalorzo on Booster Dewey. He did mine, and I am happy with it. No problems.

Robert

CougarCJ

Booster Dewey is great. Bought quite a few from him, zero problems and always good communication...

+ 1
Make sure that you have the correct booster, the version for Fairlanes' has the vacuum fitting hole indexed differently.
Doh!, I hate when that happens. LOL

franklinair

Is this the spacer that Marty mentioned? It's been in my garage for years.

Neil

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 26