• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

390 question

Doug

My rebuilt 390 seems to run warm or maybe a little hot. When driving about 25 miles it seems to begin to run hot the gauge goes ¾ to the warm side. I am wondering if this is correct. Also when stopped in seems to steam a little. Any ideas?

Midnight Special

...'Can only say my green one ran hot until I had the radiator re-cored. Now it indicates 1/4 on the guage & stays cool.

The red car has always ran 3/4 to 4/5ths on the gauge, but doesn't seem or get hot and never steams...

Checking the water temp with an independent thermometer might be a good check to start. Then eveluate the thermostat, cap and radiator if need be...

rvrtrash

My 302 CS did the same thing for about 500 miles and I decided it had to be the thermostat. Changed it out and the problem disappeared. I think the first one was sticking.

Steve

franklinair

Easiest trial & error= replace thermostat.
Most likely culprit= radiator clogged.

Neil

P.S.
Make sure radiator hose (lower) is not collapsing.

rvrtrash

In my case, everything was new, including the radiator core. I played with the timing, adjusted the carb (thought it might be running lean), thought it just needed to get the break-in out of the way, etc., etc. The thermostat was also new and with the air conditioning, is a true pain in the patootie to change, so I waited till all other options were exhausted to go after it.

Steve

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

What temp thermostat did you guys use? Any suggestions for an S.CA with Air?

Thanks for all your help - other than the questionable temp the car runs great.

franklinair

My favorite configuration:
4 row core radiator, 180 degree thermostat, 5 bladed fan with a fan shroud.
Also, whenever I install a thermostat, I drill a 1/8" hole in the flat flanged area of the thermostat to assure SOME waterflow in case the thermostat were to stick closed. With this set-up, you'll never have an O'heat problem.

Neil

P.S.
The configuration above was used in S. Fl, black car, black interior, A/C in 95+ temp. No problem. (I had the A/C adjusted to blow out 35 degree air in city traffic.)

clubpro

I second what Neil said, but I recommend a fail safe thermostat. When they fail they fail in the open position so you don't have to worry about any damage caused by a lack of coolant to the engine.

Cheers,

Ron

DeadStang

My favorite configuration:
4 row core radiator, 180 degree thermostat, 5 bladed fan with a fan shroud.
Also, whenever I install a thermostat, I drill a 1/8" hole in the flat flanged area of the thermostat to assure SOME waterflow in case the thermostat were to stick closed. With this set-up, you'll never have an O'heat problem.

Neil

P.S.
The configuration above was used in S. Fl, black car, black interior, A/C in 95+ temp. No problem. (I had the A/C adjusted to blow out 35 degree air in city traffic.)

What he said!

390cs68rcode

from the many cars I have owned I would say the fan clutch was the thing that made the car get warm. Change the fan clutch along with all the other things people have suggested. A fan shroud is also a MUST.

My 390 with AC does not run hot in 95 degree weather.

robert campbell

Few questions for all.

Never had a clutch fan from this era of my own, but worked in the radiator business in the late 60’s early 70’s. Do these 68 clutch fans have a thermostat on them. Many clutch fans from this era did and the “clutch fan” thermostat may be the problem.

Did the engine get bored as part of the rebuild? How much, .020, .030, .040?

As Steve noted, what is the timing at initial and at total with the engine at about 2,500 RPM? Are you exceeding 38 degrees of total advance? If so, are you running a stock distributor. Better yet is this the same distributor before the rebuild? Set at the same initial timing of say 6 to 8 degrees before top dead center?

Gee, did the car overheat before the rebuild??

Run a 180 degree thermostat for the water. Always put your NEW thermostat in a pan on the stove and use a candy thermo (that’s what my wife has) and bring it to a boil and ensure that it opens. I would even check the old one!

A rebuilt engine always will run a bit warm at first. Normal. I would suspect that after 500 miles or so, that would go away. A marginal radiator that worked with a long mile motor may be pushed over the edge with new rebuilt motor.

Nothing worse that a car that over heats in traffic. Ruins a wonderful day in the sun… No substitute for a fresh radiator. If you are not an originality freak, there are also aluminum replacements for you car. In my experience your brass one will do just fine, but that is another step up you can go. 390 Ford engines have always been les likely to overheat. In trucks a big block Chevy is far more prone to overheating that a Ford!!

Rob

Midnight Special

Jason, Thanks for the info! I bought mine at the local auto parts (a year ago) & had to remove the radiator to replace it. I'll now go back to NOS :)

P.S. Rob - good to see you again! Would you be willing to PM me your phone #? I have a 390 scenario & questions to ask you if that would be okay!

Thanks!

robert campbell

No need for a PM. I am at work whcih is (360) 476-1858 and my home phone is (360) 377-5164. Arrive home at around 4:00 p.m. Pacific time! Call me anytime except after 9:00 at night. Old geezer needs his sleep....

Midnight Special

No need for a PM. I am at work whcih is (360) 476-1858 and my home phone is (360) 377-5164. Arrive home at around 4:00 p.m. Pacific time! Call me anytime except after 9:00 at night. Old geezer needs his sleep....

Robert, you're a gentleman and a scholar!!

Thank you for the nice phone conversation! I will work your list and keep you posted on the results.

Thank you!