• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

351w Head Suggestion

di81977

Jamie,

When I get a second, I will take a picture of the metal bars I installed to align the power steering and alternator. This is something that is commonly needed in a 351W conversion. Also be absolutely certain that the headers you get will work. I was sold and sent the wrong ones. 302/289 Headers will not work. When I installed them with the engine, they were hitting the frame. Fortunately, Summit replaced them, but it was a huge hassle pulling them out once the engine was installed. Also check the distance from shock tower to shock tower. They tend to move in over the years. I believe it should be around 33". This could impact how the headers fit under the car and require a Monte Carlo bar.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

David

OP
OP
J

jaystang

David,
Thank you, if you have pictures of the bars would be great!

What brand headers did you end up going with to get them to fit on your 351?

~Jamie

robert campbell

Jamie,
One thing to consider is long tube full length headers or "shorty" headers. Long tube headers create power steering challanges (lowering of the ram where in connects to the frame) and are a pain for gound clearance if your car is low. Sometimes a pain around the steering box and clutch linkages. But they create the most HP at high RPM.

The shorty, or mid-length header, makes great low end power and would be perfect for your mild build. Few installation headaches. I have them on my GT/CS and Casey just put a pair on his car. Hedman and JBA are two companies that make them. Hedman's are far cheaper and JBA's are the "cadilac" of headers, but a bit pricey. $500 to $600.

Long tubes make the best all around power, but the shorty's are a great choice for street/strip use. Here is a link to JBA.

http://www.jbaheaders.com/detail_shortyV.asp?id=1653S

Rob

di81977

Jamie,

I am running full length headers...Hooker Super Competition. They have two piece construction (into the collector tube), makes for easier installation, but can be prone to leaks and rattles if not properly sealed.

Other than my PS systems is leaking all over the place, I did not have clearance issues or steering box problems. If I remember correctly, there is a kit that either comes with the headers or is a small extra charge to move some of the PS components for added clearance. You do, though, need to pay attention to your PS hoses. They can burn up pretty easily if not shielded from the heat. Also be aware of the speedo cable.

I encourage you to check around and find out which headers will work. Not sure that every manufacturer has these conversion headers.

David