• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007 Dodge Challenger

68gt390

64Goat said:
Sorry for the double post fellas, but I didn't see an edit button for my last post.

If one looks at the new era of muscle, Ford didn't redesign the Mustang until after Dodge brought back the muscle market with the SRT10. The Mustang was well on it's way out and Ford new it and they had to do something.

64Goat

Pretty bold statement considering the Mustang had major changes made to it during the following time frames since it's inception 1964.5-1966, 1967-1968.5, 1969-1970, 1971-1973, 1974-1978, 1978-1984.5, 1985-1993.5, 1994-2003, 2003-Present. And some where during all this time, the GTO, Camaro, and Firebird faded from the picture for some reason. And if I'm not mistaken all this came about prior to the inception of the SRT10. But, the Mustang has never left the picture and you say it was well on it's way out. Do us all a favor and go back to sleep. I will give you one thing and that is that the early GTO's were great cars when first developed but, GM's attempt at the new GTO is a poor example of a glorified Grand AM that's not even built in the USA. I think you need to look at the big picture and see who is scrambling to catch up with the Mustang. One more thing, the early GTO's weren't pony cars.

Don

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Ok, ok, you got me on the pony car thing and I deeply apologize. But in all honesty, Ford needed to make a severe change as did GM following Dodges come back after the redesigned Ram. GM is out of the running all the way around, new designs and all. I wouldn't take a new GTO except to trade it in for a new Mustang and that's the truth. GM lost me with the new designs and Dodge won me over with the Dakota R/T and then the engine.

As for the new age muscle scene, Ford and Dodge rule that, most likely always will now, even GM's new Camaro concept is for the dogs. It looks like a lost cross of new wave just like the Cadillacs. If I wanted a Caddy, I would buy one, but they look awful.

But Ford was flailing just like GM not to long ago and major changes were needed, as seen by both Dodge and Ford. GM over stepped IMO and didn't listen to the people and what we want. In fact, didn't the new Mustang bring Ford out from their junk bond status of their stock ? GM just made it out now, according to the news and it's a wonder.

64Goat

390cs68rcode

As for the new age muscle scene, Ford and Dodge rule that, most likely always will now, even GM's new Camaro concept is for the dogs.

do forget the high dollar muscle cars, some are very cool.

I would not call my Mercedes a muscle car but at 540 HP and 590 Lb. Ft. of torque it sure can move. I am very loyal to Mercedes and love how they keep adding more horsepower to their high end cars. We as consumers are the ones who benefit from them doing the "one up" on the competition. Long live the Benz/BMW rivalry!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I just heard about the new Camaro. Does anyone know of a website that has pictures of it?

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
I just heard about the new Camaro. Does anyone know of a website that has pictures of it?

Interesting they are talking about the Camaro coming back. Check out the link below. Kinda makes me wonder. GM either paid some heavy money to get the name back from the Canadian Government or GM is snowing somebody.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/

It's a fairly long article so just go to the bottom and read the section titled - The Backlash - to get the jest of the article. Will be interesting to see the final outcome to say the least.

Don

case12

Photos of the camaro and the challenger are on the cover of Automobile Magazine that I just received yesterday. The camaro doesnt impress me - no retro. The Challenger is actually quite tempting - it looks so much like the old Challenger. Casey

68gt390

Unregistered said:
But Ford was flailing just like GM not to long ago and major changes were needed, as seen by both Dodge and Ford. GM over stepped IMO and didn't listen to the people and what we want. In fact, didn't the new Mustang bring Ford out from their junk bond status of their stock ? GM just made it out now, according to the news and it's a wonder.

64Goat

Your absolutely correct in your assumption that the Mustang saved Ford. All of their other areas were failing including their truck side. It is the Mustang that is currently keeping Ford afloat. As for GM it has been rumored all over the place that they may well be in bankruptcy very shortly. Based on the above link I posted, one can only assume that GM is willing to do what ever is necessary for them to get the rights back to produce the Camaro at a plant other than one in Canada. As for the new Challenger I myself like the styling from what I've seen so far. If I weren't already a Mustang fan, that would be the direction I would go. I think I would also be safe in saying that back in the 60's, Ford failed to really put the horsepower out there until late in the game. Today's Stang is a whole different animal. I think Ford has learned from the past and they have definitely listened to the loyal Mustang followers as to what they really want. I'll get off my soap box now.

Don :cool:

W

waiting for challenger

2007 challenger

I can't wait until the new Challenger comes out. I will be the first in line for one. They put a finger on what the buyers want this time...Thumbs up to the designers.

jk89cat

jbsteven said:
I agree, the GTO was from what many people say the first Muscle Car. The Mustang was the first Pony Car. 2 different things.
i dont agree that the gto was one of the 1sts, think about what was dominating in the early 60's big block galaxies, impalas , etc , that was before gto , think about the 406 galaxies and powerhouse they were. i am totally not a dodge guy, but i would consider buying this car

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Mosesatm said:
It's just like 1965. Ford introduces a hit and everyone else scrambles to catch up.
Yes it took from until 1965 to try and amtch what Chevy did in 1953 with the Corvette

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The original Corvette was a 2-seat car with a 6-cylinder engine. Ford attempted to match the Corvette with the T-bird.

How in the world can you even try to compare the 2-seat Corvette to a Mustang?

When a reporter asked the GM of Chevrolet when they were going to come out with an answer to the Mustang the guy said that Chevrolet already had the answer in the Corvair. Of course we all know that the Camaro arrived a couple years later.

I don't know about the rest of you but I find these internet teens pretending to know something rather annoying. Kind of like a roach scampering across the floor.

68gt390

Arlie;
The thing that amazes me the most is the fact that all the cars that were designed to beat the Mustang have come and gone and now their coming again. The Mustang has been there the whole time and hasn't missed a beat. Heck even the Mustang II King Cobra is finally being restored these days. We have two folks in our club who have restored a couple of them. I tend to think even in the new go around and muscle era the Mustang will still be there at the end. :grin:

Don

case12

The Mustang was the first "pony car" as it's name implies and was picked up on by the other auto manufacturers later (Camaro, Firebird, Challenger, etc). To this I dont think there can be any argument.

I think it was Shelby that said the Mustang was a "secretary's car", and so it took him to make the Mustang a muscle car.

On the Speed Channel, one of the series did a special on what was the first muscle car, and they picked the GTO - and it was a very rational comparison. (Sure there were racing, and sports cars in the 50's and early 60's - but it was their definition of "muscle car").

In the end, the Mustang is the original pony car that everyone loves for its long hood and short deck styling - and as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that". Casey

hookedtrout

68gt390 said:
Arlie;
The thing that amazes me the most is the fact that all the cars that were designed to beat the Mustang have come and gone and now their coming again. The Mustang has been there the whole time and hasn't missed a beat. Heck even the Mustang II King Cobra is finally being restored these days. We have two folks in our club who have restored a couple of them. I tend to think even in the new go around and muscle era the Mustang will still be there at the end. :grin:

Don

I can remember the time Ford decided to drop the Mustang or at least change it to a front wheel drive and the Mustang world went nuts. A year or so later they came out with what was supposed to be the new front wheel drive Mustang and called it a Probe. I had a few and they were good on gas and cute little cars but they were in no way a Mustang, they had a cheap feel to them. We have a pretty dedicated history in Mustang owners and they quickly changed Fords mind on altering the Mustang, I personally believe this was the start of the Mustang coming back to its roots in retro appearance, Ford felt how many of us there were that loved the original Pony and decided to catch hold.

Cory

U

Unregistered

boob

hookedtrout said:
I'll agree with that!

I think it will take some sales from the Mustang as there are a lot of die hard Muscle Car types that have been very disappointed in GM and Dodge for their lack of response to a real retro car, i.e. Charger 4 Door and GTO/Grand Am. I read an article or saw a TV program somewhere awhile back on a guy/gal who was a die hard Bowtie fan and bought a new Mustang because GM didn't have anything on the market in the retro appeal, loved the car and considered himself a blue oval convert. So there are the few on the edge that will fall back to loyalty.

The neat part is seeing how much smarter Dodge is than GM, or is humble a better word, at least Dodge is willing to admit by their actions the importance of getting the retro look on the body. I'll bet GM continues to make their retro cars cloned out of Grand Am's and the like, they have such a cocky approach that they don't realize the error of their ways.

Cory

i agree. im a big ford and dodge fan but i am disappointed with the charger. Gm... well i dont know what Gm's thinking now a days they're hanging on with the corvette but it wont be too long untill somebody steps on their fingers and they fall off the cliff. when i first saw the gto i thought hey thats not a bad design... well thats because i thought it was a Grand Am. i shat my pants when i heard it was the gto. anyways i love the challenger design and i honestly think its a better design then the mustang. but dont get me wrong the mustang is kick ass! but one thing... its gotta be a V8!!!

U

Unregistered

good idea!

Mosesatm said:
Has anyone heard about Dodge's 2007 run at the new Mustang? The challenger may make a huge dent in Mustang sales.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

WOW CAN YOU IMAGINE IF DODGE CAME OUT WITH THE CHALLENGER T/A!!!
please dodge please? dodge i love you please? ill be your best friend dodge? i will do your chores for a week dodge? please?

Mustanglvr

Unregistered said:
WOW CAN YOU IMAGINE IF DODGE CAME OUT WITH THE CHALLENGER T/A!!!
please dodge please? dodge i love you please? ill be your best friend dodge? i will do your chores for a week dodge? please?

GO TO A DODGE FORUM! YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE! YOU PROBABLY HAVE NEVER EVEN OWNED OR DRIVEN A DODGE OR A MUSTANG. YOU PROBABLY DON`T EVEN HAVE A LICENSE YET AND IF YOU HAD ONE, YOU PROBABLY LOST IT FOR BEING SO OBNOXIOUS AND IMMATURE!:punch: