• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS Meadowlark Yellow C Code 289 4 Speed

speedy02

Up for sale is an incredible 1968 Mustang California Special. It is a real head turner. The mustang is a true original California Special. The car always gets many thumbs up. The vehicle is unrestored and garage kept. This muscle car is a blast to drive!

The car is unrestored. It has been maintained and updated over the years. Not everything is original, such as radiator, carburetor, radio, etc. The key elements of the car are all original. The vehicle has great presentation, but does include some dings and scratches. This mustang is NOT some pretty pin-up girl, where everyone just stands around sipping coffee with “no touch” signs. No, this car is a dragon and fun as hell to drive. I have owned the vehicle for 17years and it was purchased from the original family.

Key information is shared below:

The motor: The mustang has the ORIGINAL 289 2v motor. The motor was overhauled in 2018. This included overhauled heads, new timing chain, new water pump, freeze plugs, etc. etc. (We have pictures of the engine and engine bay overhaul). A FOMOCO 4bbl intake manifold was installed, but it is not running the 4v carb set up. It currently has a brand new 2v carburetor. (Original intake is included)

The mileage on the odometer reads: 86,573. (( In 2006, when I purchased the car, it was at 77k miles))

Smog Equipment: The ORIGINAL smog equipment is on the car. The smog is not a replacement, it is the original FOMOCO stamped parts that came with the car.

The transmission: The mustang has the original top loader 4sp. According to Marti Report this vehicle is one of only 155 California Special 4spds produced. This is original with the car. New clutch was installed in 2018. It shifts really good!

Drivetrain: All the drivetrain is the original drivetrain and the differential has 3.00 gears. The front suspension and all steering components were replaced in 2020. The steering box was not changed and shows its age.

Further, the car maintains its original differential tag, original transmission tag, head number sequence stamps, door tag, dash tag and fender stamps. Everything is original and numbers-matching to the car.

Wheels and tires: The original 14in steel wheels with caps are included. The caps are in excellent original condition. Currently on the car is a series of 1970’s magnesium wheels with new beefy 265 65 14 tires. ((The pictures tend to distort the view of the tires, making them look fatter than actual. The car has a great stance and the tires fit with nice presentation ))

Interior: The interior is original. An aftermarket radio is currently installed. The original AM radio is in a box and included. The speakers are not original. The original dash is warped, and a NEW DASH is included with the car. Seats are in excellent condition. The flooring, headliner, and doors are all in great condition. The instrument bezel panels are original as well as the steering wheel.

Glass: The car maintains its original issued glass.

Paint: The vehicle is its original color of meadowlark yellow. The vehicle had the top portion repainted in the late 1980’s. The side paint is original. There are scratches and a few dings. The original Shelby scoops have scratches and various nicks. The fiberglass deck lid and taillights are in excellent condition. The paint looks great and has a great patina appeal to it.

The black side stickers are great as shown in the pictures. The car has the original hood pins. The bumpers were changed out in 2018 and are not original.

Lights: All lights on the car work. Every single one. The original Lucas Lights in the front remain. ((The earlier production CS had the Marchal Lights, this is a later GTCS)) The interior dome light works, but the plastic dome cover is broken.

Rust and Undercarriage: The vehicle looks great underneath with NO rust in floor pans, NO rust in the trunk nor fender wells, nor any in the crevasses. It’s very clean. A corner of the passenger door has a rust scratch and mark. That is the only rust spot on the entire car.

PRICE: This is not a $65k car. Nor is it a $45k car. 'Asking price' is $29,500. There is room to negotiate. Serious buyers only. ‘No casual test drives’.

Included is the Deluxe Marti Report which provides the production information and specific stats of the car. I can email you and/or text you a copy of the Marti Report.

Original Dealership: The mustang was first sold at the Paul Johnson Ford Dealership in Fresno, Ca. Our family is technically the 3rd owner. We obtained the car from the original family in 2006. The original black plates are on the car.
The VIN and corresponding information is below.

1968 Mustang California Special
Vin# 8R01C154948
Door Data Plate:
8 – 1968
R - Built at San Jose
01 – Mustang 2 door hardtop
C – 289 2V / V8 engine
154948 – Serial Number of Ford schedule for San Jose production
65A - Mustang 2 door hardtop
W – Meadowlark Yellow Paint, Ford #3120-A
2A – Black Vinyl Standard Bucket Seats
29C – Scheduled for build March 29, 1968
72 – San Jose DSO (District Sales Office)
5 – 3.00 Conventional Rear Axle
5 –Four Speed Manual Transmission

THANK YOU for your interest.

Attachments

• 00n0n_62RI6yrkLjM_0CI0gj_1200x900.jpeg
    00n0n_62RI6yrkLjM_0CI0gj_1200x900.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 00c0c_50NReF3EhX_0CH0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    00c0c_50NReF3EhX_0CH0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 00c0c_abVcAanr3nG_0t20CI_1200x900.jpeg
    00c0c_abVcAanr3nG_0t20CI_1200x900.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 00c0c_jZnRMUwYBgQ_0CI0fz_1200x900.jpeg
    00c0c_jZnRMUwYBgQ_0CI0fz_1200x900.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 00G0G_74FAubCL58_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    00G0G_74FAubCL58_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 00I0I_jlSai4YagGU_0CI0nH_1200x900.jpeg
    00I0I_jlSai4YagGU_0CI0nH_1200x900.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 00k0k_khCL2casZpo_0CI0p5_1200x900.jpeg
    00k0k_khCL2casZpo_0CI0p5_1200x900.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 00o0o_1YDFnzVkzuY_0CI0fA_1200x900.jpeg
    00o0o_1YDFnzVkzuY_0CI0fA_1200x900.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 00r0r_hSrAK0Ui2eC_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    00r0r_hSrAK0Ui2eC_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 72

Pony Paddock

Thank you Speedy02. I am the blessed new owner of this GT/CS and I just discovered this group of owner and enthusiasts. What a wonderful resource! A little by way of introduction my name is Brian and I live in the San Diego area. I have been involved with or connected to Classic and Modern Mustangs since high school in the early 80s. I currently have a early 65 coupe (driving project), a 67 coupe (driving but will need paint soon), now this 68 GT/CS and a 69 Fastback (garaged project). My 21 year old son owns a beautiful 66 coupe. So between us we have all the 60s years represented. I hope I can contribute to the group in some way. I have started looking through posts and I am impressed with this forum. Great people and owners. Lots of resources. So fun! Thanks for making it all happen. Brian

Ricky Knapik

Thank you Speedy02. I am the blessed new owner of this GT/CS and I just discovered this group of owner and enthusiasts. What a wonderful resource! A little by way of introduction my name is Brian and I live in the San Diego area. I have been involved with or connected to Classic and Modern Mustangs since high school in the early 80s. I currently have a early 65 coupe (driving project), a 67 coupe (driving but will need paint soon), now this 68 GT/CS and a 69 Fastback (garaged project). My 21 year old son owns a beautiful 66 coupe. So between us we have all the 60s years represented. I hope I can contribute to the group in some way. I have started looking through posts and I am impressed with this forum. Great people and owners. Lots of resources. So fun! Thanks for making it all happen. Brian
Welcome Brian! And congratulations on your purchase! There is a wealth of knowledge on the site. Great that you have passed your passion on to your son. I've done the same. Happy cruising!

Bobsdad

Welcome, Brian! Glad to have you here and congratulations on the new GT/CS, sounds like she's in very capable hands.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Pony Paddock

Congrats Brian! Keep us posted with your car’s progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you - where is the best place to sort of "blog" about progress on my GT/CS 68? I am new to actually participating in a forum.. been lurking in the background and reading them for years. However I am unfamiliar with how they work.. I read the nice set of rules and looked at the help/test area.. I have not yet run across a spot to write about just things are are not thread material. Is that in the "garage" area someplace?

Mosesatm

you can post that type of thread in the normal GT/CS forum. Rob currently has one about an engine build and updates it from time to time.