CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Go Back   CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions

Old 04/17/2007, 06:21 PM   #1
classicsguy

Cool Would you like to have your Gt/CS restored to Concourse Trailered condition?

I would love to have my GT/CS restored to this standard in order to admire the car excactly as it came fron the assembly line. Of course finances prevent this from happening but the tough part would be not driving the car. These cars are meant to be driven and thats the whole idea of this hobby. I am not very familiar with show categories but maybe have one in the Concours Driven Class if this term is correct. What do you guys and gals think?
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2007, 07:14 PM   #2
T Code Bob

I had a friend who built a 68 Firebird to concours condition. He ended up with a 1:1 scale model of a Firebird becasue he couldn't (or wouldn't) drive it anymore. That's not a car (at least that's my opinion, I could be wrong).
T Code Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2007, 07:35 PM   #3
RedGTvert

. . sorry, misread your heading
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2007, 08:03 PM   #4
somethingspecial

My Garage
I am restoring ours to Concours trailered condition. It will debut at Concord, Ca. MCA show in June. I intend to achieve as many points as I can, and then I intend to drive it. A big investment, yes, but I will have a brand new car to drive, just as it was in 1968. Mike

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2007, 08:14 PM   #5
classicsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
I am restoring ours to Concours trailered condition. It will debut at Concord, Ca. MCA show in June. I intend to achieve as many points as I can, and then I intend to drive it. A big investment, yes, but I will have a brand new car to drive, just as it was in 1968. Mike
Thats very captivating somethingspecial! Who is doing your restoration? A shop or yourself?
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2007, 08:37 PM   #6
DeadStang

My Garage
On one hand, yes--I'd like the opportunity to drive a totally "new" 1968 Mustang! Most of my old Mustangs are crappy to actually drive, with sloppy front ends, lots of road noise, lousy heaters, and general funkiness about them. I have a "new" (got it last November) 1968 Ford 3/4 4x4 HighBoy truck with only 66K original miles--and that is one wonderful truck to drive! Beats the crap out of my last old truck, a 1972, with 95K original miles.

On the other hand, tho, I like to drive all my cars (not in the rain, tho!), and knowing myself, I just could not drive a perfectly restored Mustang. I'd end up coveting it in the garage and wouldn't enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed. Maybe if it was some concours restored old Chevy thing, I could drive it in the rain and rag on it and not feel guilty, LOL.
DeadStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Although I keep mine spotless and in optimum condition, I found the best way to show them is to drive them. Getting caught in the act of doing what you love before an appreciative populace is far more rewarding to me than hiding them between shows only to impress (or not) a very few. Expense, worry and fuss notwithstanding...

Aside from that; what is considered 100% correct and full on "concours" remains a matter of debate here. I still believe that if I were to have bought one in '68, placed it in Nitrogen filled storage, then brought it out today, that a self-proclaimed know-it-all would nitpick it to the frame regardless (not speaking of credentialed judges of course).

'Not for me...
My $0.02 only.

Last edited by Midnight Special; 04/17/2007 at 11:05 PM..

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2007, 11:28 PM   #8
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
Aside from that; what is considered 100% correct and full on "concours" remains a matter of debate here. I still believe that if I were to have bought one in '68, placed it in Nitrogen filled storage, then brought it out today, that a self-proclaimed know-it-all would nitpick it to the frame regardless (not speaking of credentialed judges of course).
Boy, Tim, you got that right! The judging process--for any marque of car--is more subjective than anyone might think. "Cleanliness and Condition" accounts for a lot, and the appearance of concours can work for you, too.
(BTW--I just sent a ton of GT/CS info to MCA for review and inclusion in the 1968 Rules, so, we'll see).

Mike J. has the right idea. Build a new car to re-experience the GT/CS once again by driving it. But that's only ONE of many ways to experience a classic car. Concours condition is just one of them--not a means to an end, nor should it be a measuring stick against others that are not of that top condition (although, we owe Mike a lot for his dedication for details, and the sweat equity--that we'll all get to know about and use on our own CSs).

It's one of those things--to each their own. If you like trophys, and going to car shows, and enjoy the company, then go for that.

If you like to race your GT/CS at the track, and hang out with others into that, go for that, too.

If you want to hose off the car, and go to the local burger joint club meeting, than go for that, too.

If you happen to live near Pismo Beach (CA), and want to drive your CS on the beach (the same place where they filmed the commercial) spin donuts in the sand, and get salt spray on your underside, hey, go for that, too; because that's too cool!!

These are all different ways to enjoy your GT/CS. None are any "better" than the others. The bottom line is what makes you happy, and what you want to get out of the experience. I think it would be fair to say that we ALL dream about our cars factory-fresh, but those realities are limited to time, money, and motivation.

I've always said that "two thumbs up on the freeway equals one car show trophy". I bet Tim has at least 40 "thumbs up" trophys by now....

Paul N.
Old 04/17/2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsguy View Post
Thats very captivating somethingspecial! Who is doing your restoration? A shop or yourself?
I'm here to say that Mike is beyond obsessed with quality, accuracy, attention to detail and above all, his dedication in consulting all corners of the planet to achieve total perfection (given what he started with!) I sincerely hope his endeavor is as rewarding to him as his inspiration and gained knowledge has been to us. It was Mike's years of obsession that inspired me to get back into GT/CSs in the first place.

I feel kind of guilty tho ;-) For the last two years - I've been driving and enjoying cars I bought that were already restored while he has been working constantly with his at tremendous expense! Needless to say; I envy his "goal ethic".

Knock 'em dead in June Mike!! :-)

Last edited by Midnight Special; 04/17/2007 at 11:49 PM..

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2007, 05:57 AM   #10
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
I would not do the concours thing if I only had one car. If I did the concours thing to one of my cars I would not drive THAT one.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2007, 10:18 AM   #11
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
I have to agree with Jason. It would be difficult to have one that nice and drive it as much as I drive mine. However, it would be great to have and I applaud anyone who can achieve it!!!

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2007, 05:28 PM   #12
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
While I think concours is great and enjoy looking at them, I personally don't have the funds or inclination to have a $100,000 piece of art in my garage. I'm the type of guy that would play Jimi Hendrix's guitar if I owned it. I restore my cars to like new, without worrying to much about putting in gas shocks instead of oil filled, and drive them on nice days. My hat is off to those that can do a concours car. I know what kind of time, money and determination it takes and realize they are doing what I can't.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2007, 06:43 PM   #13
GTCSMustang

Mike,

Does the "concours trailered" class allow for reproduction parts or do they all need to be NOS?

Just curious.

Scott

68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Lme Gld GT/CS, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com .
GTCSMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2007, 06:54 PM   #14
68 GTCS
My Car Details

A man is not finished when he is defeated, He is finished when he quits.

I will have to say that if time and money were on my side I would like to experience the thrill of driving a "like new" or concours condition 68 GT/CS. However I buy my cars to drive, I owned a 1981 Trans Am Recaro Daytona 500 Pace Car with 41,000 original miles. I finally sold it for that reason, not to mention that its hard on cars to just sit. Unless you have a climate controlled storage. Hats off to the people that can do it. Any spare time that I have will be spent touching up my CS and hitting the road for the local car shows.

Kevin

1968 GTCS J code 302 4v Auto. / 1967 A code 289 4v Auto. "Local Promotion Car" / 1968 HCS 289 2v 4 speed / 1965 Fastback A code 289 4v Auto. Build Date 9-11-1964 two weeks prior to the introduction of the fastback / 2007 Mustang V6 5 speed / 2007 Shelby GT Black-Black 4.9 5 speed.
68 GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2007, 08:02 PM   #15
Russ

Mustangs Forever

eBay: g350t

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCSMustang View Post
Mike,

Does the "concours trailered" class allow for reproduction parts or do they all need to be NOS?

Just curious.

Scott
Concours trailered class can use reproduction parts, while the "throughbred" class uses only original or NOS parts.

Regarding this thread, I like having a car that is the way it came from the factory and is like new. While I have entered my car in the concourse trailered class, I still drive it and enjoy the car......I believe you can have the best of both worlds. The only downside is that darn AM radio!!!

Russ

'66 GT 350, (2) GT/CS, '68 GT Coupe, '73 CJ Convertible, '05 GT, '07 Shelby GT, and some Model T Fords
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions