• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

FOG LAMP HARNESS to MAIN HARNESS SPLICING CONNECTORS

gtcs1

Hi,
This item is advertised as being used originally to splice fog harness to the main harness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...QQihZ020QQcategoryZ140736QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do I miss the point? This splicing clip is kind of recent design? I didn't think these clips were that old.

Plus I thought the lamps harness male end mounted directly into the male GT connector present on the main harness, using a double ended female connector, usually red in color. Hence no need for splicing.

If he sells that, where was it used then?

On a side note, I wish you all and your family a happy new year, good health and lot of fun with your GT/CS and friends

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

The Shelby assembly manual shows using two of these connectors for each fog light. However, evey original Shelby I have seen uses the same connector arrangement as the GT/CS and HCS cars. Maybe the early Shelbys used the scotch-lok connectors, but I don't believe any later ones did. The connector in the ebay add is the correct connector for the dynamite sticks that are in the trunk.

Scott

GTCSMustang

Correct connection of fog lights.

Attachments

• DSC00782.JPG
    DSC00782.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 91

GTCSMustang

1968 Shelby Assembly Manual diagram.

Attachments

• DSC00783.JPG
    DSC00783.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
G

gtcs1

GTCSMustang said:
Correct connection of fog lights.

A picture is worth thousand words. Thanks Scott.

You can see there the red splicing female conector I was talking about. The Plug outlet is part of the main harness in that case and as such would not require these Scothlok.

My car has the same plug in the main harmess (blueish) and my car does not have the GT package, showing this connector being on also on non-GT.

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

GTCSMustang said:
So, how's my car...I miss it?

Scott

Doing great. Car is stored in my garage for winter. I replaced the lights by original MARCHAL. This winter I'm replacing the seat covers, one was teared. I bought an Autolite Carb rebuild kit, I'll be rebuilding the carb, it's a bit gummed, that should help a bit.

I'm also in process of doing a thourough clean-up this winter, I've got time. This car being all original and low mileage doesn't need more than that, I don't want to change it anyway.

I started cleaning-up the underside, funny thing was that the underside is original body color. Thought that was supposed to be red oxyde primer with a bit of overspray of body color extending from the sides, not the whole underside. I have to check the transmission tunnel area if it's primer there. This car underside is not a repaint, was like that original.

Take care

GTCSMustang

The car is clearly in the hands of the right person. I'm glad you have it. Send me some pictures of the progress some time.

Scott

somethingspecial

Check with member Talan423, he was selling the correct connectors on ebay some time back. He may be able to sell you some, or direct you in the right direction. Tom, You out there to respond? Mike

TLEA

GTCSMustang said:
1968 Shelby Assembly Manual diagram.
That pic from the AO Smith assembly manual is the revised installation dated 4/3/68 that was introduced when the Lucas assemblies were fitted. The white scotchloks were used on most Marchal installations (some were single lead that grounded through light bar) AO Smith also used this white scotchlok to connect the SW oil guage to the stock ford harness as well as the dynamite sticks.

J_Speegle

gtcs1 said:
I started cleaning-up the underside, funny thing was that the underside is original body color. Thought that was supposed to be red oxyde primer with a bit of overspray of body color extending from the sides, not the whole underside. I have to check the transmission tunnel area if it's primer there. This car underside is not a repaint, was like that original.

Undercarriages had a little or allot of overspray from the exterior color application. Just depended on the painter, how far down he held the gun that car, and so on. Same case with the pinch weld black out. Seen it were is was barely there and other times were there was more of it than exterior color overspray. Normally more body color likely do to the lower pressures used to apply it

Take plenty of pictures ;)

GTCSMustang

Jeff,

I show the original date on the assembly instruction being 9/1/1967, release for production date of 11/16/1967, first revision on 4/3/1968, second revision on 5/22/68, and tool and process date of 6/5/1968.

Scott

TLEA

GTCSMustang said:
Jeff,

I show the original date on the assembly instruction being 9/1/1967, release for production date of 11/16/1967, first revision on 4/3/1968, second revision on 5/22/68, and tool and process date of 6/5/1968.

Scott
Well I'm not Jeff but those dates are correct. The 4/3 date was the revision pertaining to the Lucas installation. When AO Smith revised a detail the picture you see is the most updated revision. The early drawings disappeared (wish we had them) but the date logs of all the revisions was kept on the page. The last build date I have for a car (Shelby) equipped with Marchals is 3/15/68
Tim

Talan423

connectors

somethingspecial said:
Check with member Talan423, he was selling the correct connectors on ebay some time back. He may be able to sell you some, or direct you in the right direction. Tom, You out there to respond? Mike

gtcs1- i have a couple pair of the connectors left. they are black in color, not the redish oxide. send me a pm or e-mail to talan423@aol.com.

** hey mike- good to hear from you, hope you are doing well in sunny california. the pics of your car look great, hard to believe that's the same car!!! take care, tom