CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/02/2006, 10:01 AM   #1
toomanycars
My Car Details

ebay 390 gt/cs has arrived.

And what a mess! I remember the seller telling me not to worry,,,, this is a nice car. Well,,, there is nothing nice about this car except that it is a 390 gt/cs and the body is solid!!! Only one spot of rust that is in the lower part of the drivers side fender. The car looks like it was painted outside and they only used 3 feet of masking tape. Most of the chrome is shot. Some one did cut speaker holes in the bottom of the doors, two each. I guess the only way to fix that is to replace them. Headliner is nice and thats about all that is good on the inside.
The engine sounds good, no smoke or scary sounds! I was only able to drive it about 5 miles. It is real hard to shift, it didn't want to stay between the lines and the brakes are not good. But something came over me,, and made me floor it!! That put a smile on my face! Nothing like the sound and feel of a big block with a 4barrel. It does have a 9in rear end, I compared it to my my 289 gt/cs and they are not the same. The 9in has a much larger hump in the housing.
I looked real close at the passenger side shock tower for any sign of any welding. I looked inside and out, very close, and found none. I did find where some one had cut a hole to get to the rear spark plug.
I wish the car had been in better shape, but I got what I got and I am going to make the best of it!!! This is a rare car and is worth the time and money! It is nice to know that every one on this site is here to help. And I am going to need it. If I hurry I can make that reunion you talked about in 2008.
I also want to thank you all for the warm welcome, and the battle some of you fought with you know who!
Thanks, Steve
toomanycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2006, 10:35 AM   #2
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

Steve;
Glad to hear the car arrived. Sorry to hear about it's condition. Keep that smile on your face, it's only going to get bigger. Now at least you have piece of mind knowing what you have and were you'll have to go. The fun begins. You know where we are so let us know if you need help. That's what we are here for. I may have already mentioned but, if not for this site I might very well still be a fish out of water. I'm sure your CS will now get the attention it needs. One more CS brought back from an early grave.

Don

68 GT/CS 390 "S" Code, 4 spd, 93 LX Hatchback Supercharged
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2006, 10:46 AM   #3
calspcl

Steve, as you said it is a rare car, any improvements you make will be worth it! This is a great site with a vast majority of members being very helpfull and knowledgable. Feel free to ask, they will lead you to the correct answers.

Good luck with that BB Gt/CS!

1968 390-4speed GT/CS "Acapulco blue is beautiful"
2001 F-350 diesel dually flatbed hauler
1970 bronco
calspcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Steve, Congrats on your purchase. I know the feeling you have about all that's wrong with the car. I had the same experience when I purchased mine a few years ago. A bit overwhelming at first to say the least. Like others have said, you have a rare piece of history in your posession. Take it one step at a time and feel free to consult those on this website. There's a lot of wisdom and experience here from which I've benefited on many ocassions. Good luck!!!
Steve
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2006, 12:52 PM   #5
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
the main thing is you have a 390 CS. I would HIGHLY suggest you make a through list of what you want to do BEFORE you start. You can spend a bunch of extra time and money if you have to do things twice. Figure out if you want to use NOS parts as much as possible (highly suggest this) or if you want to go with all repro. The hunt for parts is much funnier when you go the NOS route. If you need help on place to get the good stuff let me know.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2006, 05:32 PM   #6
6t8-390gt

Steve,
Congrats on the purchase, sorry to hear you are disappointed. I too was disappointed when I received a car I purchased sight unseen. My disappointment quikly changed as the value increased sharply after the purchase. I heard recently not to worry about spending too much for the purchase of the right car b/c the value is on the rise. In a very short time I think you too will feel you got a bargain.

Danny
6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2006, 04:56 AM   #7
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

My son purchased a 02 ,390 Rousch sight unseen white with blue stripes. I was suprised at the condition of the car. It didn't have a stone chip on it being white I though that it would. Six speed, three phase.

302 V4 HCS
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsstang
My son purchased a 02 ,390 Rousch sight unseen white with blue stripes. I was suprised at the condition of the car. It didn't have a stone chip on it being white I though that it would. Six speed, three phase.
What is a three phase?
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2006, 05:59 PM   #9
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

Arlie;
I think he ment a Rousch Stage 3.

Don

68 GT/CS 390 "S" Code, 4 spd, 93 LX Hatchback Supercharged
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2006, 06:21 PM   #10
Mosesatm

Thanks Don, that makes a lot more sense.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2006, 07:11 AM   #11
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Steve

I am glad you took delivery of your car. Keep in mind that there were alot of rusty, needing lots of work, can see the light at the end of the tunnel, cars here on this site before they were restored.

From a guy that had to dig my car out of the grave and shock it back to life, it appears to me that you should be in pretty good shape to make a very nice 390 car. At least, we are all pulling for you.

Ask away the questions. Spend time on the gallery's at this site and get a feel for what other folks did with their car. Sometimes you can see what you need to do right there in the pictures.

Good luck.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2006, 10:46 PM   #12
somethingspecial

My Garage
Steve, Congrats and welcome to the club!!!!!!!!! My car started as a hacked up drag racer with leopard skin interior. Many many years of work, but she is going to be born again soon, I will post pictures soon, WOW, Tomorrow, 04-05-06 is her 38th B-Day. COOL!!!!! I am restoring her concourse, and would be happy to tell you about my follies of finding NOS parts, and WHO to stay away from. Everyone here are great and have hundreds of years of combined experience and knowledge on these cars. If you have a question, just post it or contact one of us. Good luck Steve. Mike

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2006, 05:12 AM   #13
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
So Toomanycars, are you gonna give the guy who sold you the car a negative feedback on Ebay?

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2006, 07:57 AM   #14
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Congrats on getting your baby home.

I think many of us found some surprises as we started to take apart our cars.
Site unseen or not.
I was disappointed about a few mis-representations on the car but overall
I got a great deal on it and I'm able to enjoy it as is while I get it back to where I want it to be.

Good Luck and now is when the real fun begins!!!

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2006, 04:29 PM   #15
toomanycars
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglvr
So Toomanycars, are you gonna give the guy who sold you the car a negative feedback on Ebay?

No I don't think so.... I think he really thought it was a nice car. He had the car for 11 yrs. Who keeps a car around that long if you didn't think it was nice?? A few of my friends saw it an they thought it was a nice car. They are not car guys, nor did they shell out $36,000. So I think appearance is a matter of opinion and it's kind of hard to give feedback on that.
toomanycars is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions