CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/27/2003, 07:24 PM   #1

VIN # question

I would like to know if someone can tell me where to find the vin # on a mustang. I found a GT/CS and I'm about to buy it, the only problem is that its missing the VIN plate on the passenger sidedash area. The owner of the vehicle claims that he has had the vehicle for over ten years and has all documentation. The vehicle does need to be restored completly, but the body is solid and it has no missing parts. I would really appreciate any feedback on the vin and things that I should watch out for.

Thank You,
Carlos
Old 02/27/2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Calspecialdreamer

Re:VIN # question

Carlos,
Should be one when you open the driver door. You should also be able to see the engine # on the Driver side where the engine meets the transmission. You will probably have to lean over the driver side fender and clean the spot on the engine!

Calspecialdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2003, 09:33 PM   #3
StraightSix

Rights, as CalGTCSdreamers says, the door plate will have the VIN on it. Also, it will be stamped on the inner fender apron on the driver's side (there's a cutout on the fender so you can see it). The passenger's side fender apron is stamped too, but the number will be covered up by the fender (there is no cutout on the passenger's side).

-Winston
StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2003, 10:48 PM   #4
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

csbp,
On both my San Jose car, coupe and Gt/CS, do not have the VIN # stamped on the fender cut out, I don't know if that was standard for San Jose. And if you are looking for the VIN # on the block, ask the owner if the engine/car are matching, meaning it is the original engine for the car. And the # is hard to find if you don't know where to look, but as CalGTCSdreamer stated, there is a small shlef on the back of the engine, right above the transmssion connection. Take a rag to wipe off the dirt and you will see the VIN # stamped into the block, take the aircleaner off first so it is easier to get back there. Good luck
Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2003, 11:45 PM   #5
Jayscal
My Car Details

GT/CS owner for 23 years

My GT/CS doesn't have the number stamped on the apron where the fender is cut out on the driver side either. I had my car at a show last year, and some guy pointed this out and told me that my car must have had that area replaced. Well I know for a fact that it was never replaced. Later that day, I called my buddy in California up to check his GT/CS, the number is not there on his car either. Apparently this is the norm for cars from the San Jose plant. Now I am on on mission to find out why.
Jayscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2003, 11:57 PM   #6
clubpro

To answer your questions about the missing V.I.N. on the fender cut out. I too couldn't find mine until I removed the fender and who ever was incharge of stamping at San Jose was putting the stamp too far inside and when the fender was installed it covered up the number. So unless you are restoring your GT/CS like I am, you wont be able to find the number.
clubpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2003, 01:06 AM   #7

Thanks for all the great info, I plan on ordering the Marti report asap just to be sure (thats if the owner doesnt have it already). I'll get photos as soon as I get the vehicle and post them. Another question I had was concerning the interior. Growing up my stepfather used to restore old mustangs and sell them (I ended up with a 390 GT which I regret having sold). Out of all the mustangs Ive seen none of them had cloth seats, however this CS does. Is that an option that is only available with the CS?
Old 02/28/2003, 06:22 AM   #8
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

csbp,
An option for the '68 is what was called "comfort-weave", it was a fabric looking material that was placed in the middles of both seats. The '68 seats have the pleated middles surrounded by vinyl padding, with the comfort-weave the pleated middles are fabric surrounded by vinyl. I believe it was suppose to let your back and backside breath better. ;D
Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2003, 07:22 AM   #9
StraightSix

[quote author=clubpro link=board=1;threadid=238;start=0#1198 date=1046415440]
I too couldn't find mine until I removed the fender and who ever was incharge of stamping at San Jose was putting the stamp too far inside and when the fender was installed it covered up the number. [/quote]

Interesting! Maybe my driver's side fender apron isn't a replacement after all! Now I just need to pull the fender (well, loosen it at least) to find out :-\

-Winston
StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2003, 07:58 AM   #10
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage

Yeah, my first '68 had Comfort Weave seats. Actually did help keep you from sticking to the seat in the summer.

But Comfort Weave is still a vinyl product, so csbp I'm guessing that someone installed cloth seats after the factory on your car.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2003, 08:45 AM   #11
Russ

Mustangs Forever

eBay: g350t

Winston,
On San Jose Mustangs, The VIN was stamped near the edge of the inner fender on both sides of the car. The cut out on the fender is near the stamping, but be careful when you lift the fender. The factory used an oil base sealant between the inner fender and the outer fender and this sealant usually covers the VIN, and adheres the two fenders together. It is difficult to remove an original fender because of this sealant. The cutout on the driver's side fender appears to be a carryover from 1965-67 Mustangs, and you cannot see your 1968 VIN unless you remove/lift your fender.
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2003, 11:34 PM   #12
Eastcoast

Carlos,
Look where the dash tag should be on the passenger side dash at the windshield, Sometimes anew 67 dash pad without the cutout can hide the tag underneath. Good luck
Dave
Eastcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2003, 05:04 PM   #13

I could not find my vin number also,then when restoring I took the fender off and there it was.Make sure to take some pictures of it for future referance.
Joel
68 CS/GS
Old 03/02/2003, 05:34 PM   #14

In all of my research for the books, I have never seen part or a whole VIN number at the fender cutout (under the hood) on a San Jose built '68, mine included, and I've had it since '74.

The cutout on the fender (between fender bolts) is a carryover from 1967. Most '67's I've seen DO have the VIN there, easy to see. For some reason, the production folks moved the VIN to where you have to remove the fender to see it.

There are many anomalies with '67 and '68 production. Another one is a little courtesy light (?) pigtail in the wiring harness right at the bottom of the passenger (roll down) quarter window, and my car does not have the luxury interior.
Old 03/03/2003, 12:49 PM   #15
Gandystang

Paul,

When you talk about wiring harnesses and light options in your interior, can it be that the tail harness on the shelby convertibles and the GT/CS are the same ? It would seam to me that costs could be mimized by sharing parts. Didn't all shelby base cars come from San Jose in 1968 ?
Gandystang is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions