• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS VIN question (registry)

mbsf1970

Does a Vin such as 8R01C127740 mean its a gtcs or simply that it could be because it was made in SJ plant? I assume that the gtcs cars were made alongside normal production run cars and that the 8R01 simply confirms it wasn't made in Dearborn or Metuchen....Is this one in registry?
Thanks,
Stephen

franklinair

The 8R simply means the car was built @ SJ in 1968, as were 1,000's of Mustangs. Verification of a Mustang being a GTCS can only be accomplished thru a Marti Report.

Neil

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Do you know of a GT/CS with that VIN?

I do, but no Marti report to confirm either way. Btw, is there such a thing as a special steering wheel made for this model? The shape is the standard 68 steering wheel but instead of the holes with horse emblem in middle, this one is smoothe black covering with gtcs written across middle of it.. .? Never seen one like that?!!!
What indicates its lowest # VIN.? What range should the numbers be in?
Stephen

Last edited:

68sunlitgold

Stephen,
did it look like the top item in the picture attached? These where looked at by ford for production but never went on the factory GT/CSs. Paul Newitt had some made and owners could use a cougar steering wheel center to put then on. The other item was placed over the glove box.

Doug

Attachments

• GT-CS special dash parts.jpg
    GT-CS special dash parts.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 52

Northern Pony

Stephen;
I sent you a private message. Note this car is not advertised as a GT/CS. What is the owner saying? PM me or phone.
BoB

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Stephen,
did it look like the top item in the picture attached? These where looked at by ford for production but never went on the factory GT/CSs. Paul Newitt had some made and owners could use a cougar steering wheel center to put then on. The other item was placed over the glove box.

Doug

Pretty much. That's why I come here! I am to understand that the car I'm looking at is not a true gt/cs. Not a big deal however since my on again off again purchase of a car from the States is back on for now.....any suggestions on reliable shippers?? I'll either get it brought directly to me in Calgary or have it shipped to Great Falls Mt (5 hours drive)

Stephen