• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Who has an incorrect grill?

clubpro

I have noticed on almost every CS on ebay that they have either the wrong grill usually a 68 grill or they have a 67 grill without the brackets. So here is my question, how many of you have an incorrect grill on your CS? I know that my car had the wrong grill and my cousin's car has the wrong grill and I noticed when I was working on Amy's car that it had the wrong grill. Just curious...

Cheers,

Ron

classicsguy

Ron: My project GT/CS had the incorrect grill. It had the 1968 GT grill with gt fog lights. I want to buy the correct one from you when available. Sent an e mail today.

Luis

Perkchiro

Ron: my car had a standard 68 horse and corral grill due to prior front end damage. During restoration, I replaced it using a 67 repo grill and fog brackets. I think it turned out looking very original. As I recall, the topic of grill restoration has been discussed in many other prior threads.

aemoo28

So I guess I have one of those wrong grills. Guess you should sell them, my friend. I'll buy one of course!

So it's wrong to have the Lucases bolted in front of the mesh? Like mine? Like JohnnyQuest's?

Calif Girl's are correct?

limelyt

we use a 67 grill and modified to fit the brackets. I think it is pretty much bag on.

Attachments

• calspec front.jpg
    calspec front.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 51
  • calspec front2.jpg
    calspec front2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 56
P

PNewitt

My experience by looking at the cars in the registry is that a lot of them have had some sort of front-end damage (the past 40 years), and the wrong ('68 std.) grille has been installed.

The other thing I see a lot of are Lucas lights without the proper pedistals.

I'm working with Ron to create some GT/CS-specific parts that owners can get from him to properly finish out their GT/CS's restoration.

These will be parts sets that you can't get anywhere else...and definately OEM type, and made in the USA.

Paul N.

franklinair

What's the diff (if any) between grills utilizing Marchal lites versus Lucas? The Marchal's obviously have the mounting bracket on the grill, and the Lucas lites are mounted on the wide, lower grill panel - but is there a difference in the grills themselves?

Neil

PS: I installed the pedestals on my car, and then removed them. (I think it makes the lites look like a couple of lollipops):rolleyes:

OP
OP
clubpro

clubpro

All of the cars came with a 67 grill with the CS specific brackets mounted on the backside of the grill. As you may or may not know the cars made from January to March came with the Marchals which were mounted to the brackets. In April the change was made on the production line and the recall notices were sent out to all California owners to bring their cars into the dealers to have the lights changed to the Lucas lights. The Lucas lights were mounted on pedestals on the grill surround and the wiring was run through the holes in the brackets to the lights. As mentioned in previous threads the grill, brackets, grill surround center and Lucas pedestals are all painted the dark argent.

My car was sent to Hawaii and was never switched over to the Lucas lights. I agree with Neil that the Marchals mounted on the brackets look the best, but others might like the look of the Lucas better. My car like alot of others had some front end damage and the grill was switched to a 68 grill by some body shop employee who didn't know that the grill should be a 67 grill.

Thanks for all the input!

Cheers,

Ron

Midnight Special

...Six Specials w/ 5 original grilles and one standard grille w/o horse emblem. Three of those have original rivets and two were either replaced or removed and re-riveted. The five have the Marchal mounts and don't appear to me to be conversions. All but one are Lucas and the other. aftermarket light mounted on the Marchal brackets...

PFSlim

I did not have a grill with mine when I bought it. Just about feel into the trap of installing a 68 grill until I read differently on this site. Then bought a new 67 grill, removed the up-down supports, cut out the area in the grill to install the Marchal brackets, and rivited in the new brackets. Completed and correct grill.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang440.JPG
    Stang440.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Stang441.JPG
    Stang441.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 28

GT/CS S Code

Ours was wrong ...

Our car came with a 68 grill in place sans horse and corral, plus the Lucas fogs were completely missing. I located a complete used set with proper pedestals on eBay and bought them earlier this year. They're with my body and paint man right now being repainted along with a 67 grill that he is modifying and matching up for us. The grill trim was replaced too, but luckily enough, the lower trim pieces with the holes for the fogs were still in with the spare parts I got with the car. We hope to get them all back from the body and paint shop soon and reinstall them sometime later this winter or early next year. We'll see what the weather does as we're working in the driveway as it's only a one car garage .... and completely full of one car!
Al & Laurie'
aka
GT/CS S Code

Attachments

• Lucas fog lights.jpg
    Lucas fog lights.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 15
  • New licence plate frames 003.jpg
    New licence plate frames 003.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 14

robert campbell

I have the correct grill, brackets, and rivets. I thought I saw a source for the bracket recently that someone is reproducing. Does nayone know who that is? With that you could use a 67 grill and build your own so to speak.

Rob

PFSlim

I bought my 67 grill and Marchal brackets from Delta Mustang. For the Lucus lights, the peds should be purchased from Bob Teets here on the site.

Paul

Mosesatm

I bought my 67 grill and Marchal brackets from Delta Mustang. For the Lucus lights, the peds should be purchased from Bob Teets here on the site.

Paul

Paul, do you mean Delta Bay Mustang?