CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/12/2013, 01:46 PM   #1
hangtendartsport

My Garage
Should I buy? Help request

Hello,
I have a chance to buy a true one owner California special in Southern California, and need some help. I first saw this car in 1990, and have stayed in contact with him over the years. He bought the car new at Canoga Park Ford, CA. Now in his 90's, he can no longer drive.
The good: original sea foam green paint, all GT/CS parts are original to the car.
Original Lucas lights, original black stripes and decals.
Original 289-2v with factory A/C. Black interior all original and in very good condition. Dash was always covered, no cracks in dash.
Has original California Black Plates and original pink title.
Original spare tire, owners warranty card and owners manual.
Stock hubcaps nothing fancy nothing missing.
The bad: owner backed into something so the fiberglass tail light panel is cracked. Also dent in lower rear valance panel. There is pitting on Lucas lights and chrome, car has always been under a carport so being near ocean may be a factor. Car is automatic, all lights operational. Original Delco AM radio still works.
Original paint has some blemishes but is straight. I have always wanted this car, and finally have chance, but want to be fair. They said their neighbor has offered 12k, I thought 10 was fair, until I saw the cracked fiberglass panel, so thought 7500 to 8000 was right. What would be a fair and reasonable amount for this car?
hangtendartsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 02:01 PM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
A $2000-2500 hit for a cracked tail panel? I had a damaged original reglassed by a guy here for $100, looks as good as new. You can buy a OEM for less than half that (I paid $500 for the cracked one, with the buckets, lens, and trims in good shape).

The rear valance dent is very minor, unless a heavy crease may even be able to get it close with one of the paint-less dent removal companies.

An unmolested original is hard to find, the docs and original owner info has a bit of nostalgia and value. And no rust other then chrome blemishes is a big plus.

You have always wanted the car, an are offering 2/3 of the other offer? Doesn't sound like you want if very much... I'd believe someone would offer 12k, and would say anything less than 10K is taking advantage of the guy, but hard to say without pics.
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 02:22 PM   #3
hangtendartsport

My Garage
Thank you for your opinion. It was offered to me at 10, but I did not know about the damage. I had last seen the car prior about 7 or 8 years ago.
You are correct about replacing the panel, but you still have to paint and replace the lens.
I do want to be fair. I appreciate your feedback, sincerely.
No, I am not one of those guys trying to fleece the owner, to brag about it here.
These people are dear to me and are my friends.
Thanks again.
hangtendartsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 04:03 PM   #4
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
The car sounds to me to be worth the $10,000 they offered it to you for. Minor damage fairly easily fixed is not a big deal. An all original intact GT/CS is a rare thing these days. Go for it.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Northern Pony

hangten;
You have followed this car for 23 years, you know the seller personally, and you think you are being fleeced????????????? If you have always wanted this car by all means go and get it, 10k is not too much for an original, rust free car (with good interior).
Good luck and let us know when it's in your drive way.
BoB
Northern Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 07:57 PM   #6
candycal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtendartsport View Post
No, I am not one of those guys trying to fleece the owner, to brag about it here.
These people are dear to me and are my friends.
Thanks again.
I would pay the man $12k and there would two more happy people in the world. How often do you get a chance at something like this? In the scheme of things and over a period of time $2,000 is not significant. Surely there is a premium for a one owner GT/CS? You'll be kicking yorself if someone else buys it IMHO.

Rick.
candycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 10:04 PM   #7
somethingspecial

My Garage
Please send me the full VIN and door data plate info when you can so we can document it as a GT/CS. If you buy the car, I suggest getting a Marti Report for the car. Your friendly neighborhood Registrar. Good luck on the purchase.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 02:40 PM   #8
sam

Well worth the $$......especially if you know the owner & car history.

it\'s great to own a 68\' ......live free or die
Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 02:46 PM   #9
BigJim

My Garage
Re: Should I buy? Help request

If you want the car pay the man what he's asking, it's a fair price. Otherwise stop wasting both your time and walk away so he can find someone who really wants it and will buy it.

BigJim
'68 GT/CS, Presidential Blue, Numbers Matching, J-Code, C-4
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 06:12 PM   #10
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
Dang, someone comes on our site to ask for assistance and WOW. If I came on here to ask a simple question and saw the responses, I'd be hard pressed to come back.

He wanted to know if the value was there for the car, NOT if he really wanted it or if he was fleecing his friend or wasting the guys time.

There is a hell of a lot of knowledge on this site, but what good is it if you get the 3rd degree about whether or not to purchase a car.

I've asked a lot of questions here and not all were smart, some were actually pretty dumb, but never did I get a response like these.

OK, as far as to buy or not, buy it before someone else gets it.

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 06:32 PM   #11
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
?

The points on the value almost all say take it at 10-12k.

IMO the comments are fair based on the info provided, and not personal, but I guess it depend on how you read it. The other offers noted are relevant, as its sets a known benchmark they have in-hand.

If I had a "friend" who offered me a car I "wanted" and I knew they were offered 12k I think I'd do right by them and not offer 8k... but that's just me.

If someone is willing to pay 12k, its worth 12k... its not like it a Scott Drake part you can comparison shop, the idea there is some fixed and "correct" value is false. Every car is unique and must be valued on its condition, and by how much the buyer wants it.

If you can get it for less, a personal choice.

As noted, without pictures it is hard to tell but I'd agree with the comment "I would pay the man $12k and there would two more happy people in the world. How often do you get a chance at something like this?"
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 06:50 PM   #12
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
The man asked for our opinions. I really don't feel anyone went overboard in giving them. JMHO...

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 06:59 PM   #13
sam

Well said by everyone...........heck maybe I'll buy knowing the background.....!

it\'s great to own a 68\' ......live free or die
Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 10:35 PM   #14
gazrox
My Car Details

I'm goin' nowhere and I'm in a hurry

Buy the car otherwise in 6 months time when you see it driving down the road with someone else behind the wheel you'll be kicking yourself for not jumping on it.

Personally, I think if he has an offer on it, you have to at least match it - its the right thing to do if you want the car, and regardless, you are getting the car you have been waiting a long time to own.

Gary

Seafoam Green '68 GT/CS
gazrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2013, 04:54 AM   #15
teamlo
My Car Details

Years ago, I purchased an original copy of Paul Newitt's GT/CS Guide from an elderly gentleman that fits your description. He also included a photo of his car, which I am almost certain was Seafoam Green. I don't recall his name, but I wonder if it's the same person. I sold the book when Paul's new book was released (now wishing I'd held on to it).

I'd say Buy The Car!!!

Terry

68 J code coupe, Meadowlark Yellow, Black standard interior, GT, C4, 3.25 open, PS, PDB, AM radio, chrome SS wheels
teamlo is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions