• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Should I buy a GT/CS even if not with desired engine?

classicsguy

I have been trying to get a 1968 GT/CS with a 390 ci engine and a 4 speed transmission since 2002.So far I have not been lucky finding this project car.In Puerto Rico where I live there are only 3 California Specials and one of them is for sale.It has the 289 ci engine and auto transmission.Its Candyapple red with the following options: console,power disc brakes,power steering,front seat headrests and Argent style wheels with locking differential.The car needs minor body work and a paint job to be show quality
I can also settle with a J code car but I have not been lucky either.
Should I buy this car and if the right one comes along later sell and purchase or should I keep waiting for the right car while prices keep escalating?
Thanks in advance for the advises and time taken to read this post.

Herck

Sad but true ive been thinking about selling my car lately but not sure what to ask for it. i know i wouldnt take less than 35k for it becuase it was a 390 car. what is funny there is a few 390 cars running around vancouver here. it still needs assembly what do u gys think a s code cars is worth these days.

390cs68rcode

I put a $1000 finders fee on this website and 1 month later someone located the car I own now. I gladly paid the finders fee.

give it a try.

rvrtrash

If the price is fair for the car, I'd say buy it. There is nothing like hands on to help you learn what to look for in your next car. Since prices are going up, you can use this car to help finance the next one when/if you find it and enjoy having one in the meantime. There is also the option of keeping it and having more than one-like Tim. Just my opinion.

Steve

still looking for one

classicsguy said:
I have been trying to get a 1968 GT/CS with a 390 ci engine and a 4 speed transmission since 2002.So far I have not been lucky finding this project car.In Puerto Rico where I live there are only 3 California Specials and one of them is for sale.It has the 289 ci engine and auto transmission.Its Candyapple red with the following options: console,power disc brakes,power steering,front seat headrests and Argent style wheels with locking differential.The car needs minor body work and a paint job to be show quality
I can also settle with a J code car but I have not been lucky either.
Should I buy this car and if the right one comes along later sell and purchase or should I keep waiting for the right car while prices keep escalating?
Thanks in advance for the advises and time taken to read this post.

Steve is clever and he is right. These babies are headed only up in price, and you could et this one as an interim car, and when you find the elusive 390-4speed, leverage yourself into it by selling the 289, and if you hang around here long enough you will really be an informed buyer.

And, we are talking personal preferences here. Back when I was looking at 67 Cougars, I was considering a '67 maroon one with 289 AT and PS vs. a '67 Gold/white vinyl GT 390GT with all options, $1000 either one, in Sacramento in 1972 - those were the days to get one, but who knew? and in the end went for the 289 -
1. 390 GT too much of a gas eater
2. 390 GT too heavy in the front end
3. 390 a BITCH to tune up, that motor shoehorned into the engine compartment
4. The 390 had a lousy repaint, and no pinstripes, and the maroon /67 was a certified one owner, 289-2v, original, though worn, paint with preferred no vinyl roof, and I walked away with it for $900.00 Should never have sold it.
Had it for about 5 years and sold it for $1100, with about 150k on it. Buyers wrapped it around a tree in a week. :cry: :cry:

All of this is relevant to your situation, cause the Cougar (sort of a Falcon/Thunderbird one car mag called it) is a cousin to the Mustang and GT/CS & HCS

YMMV

Jim B.

Midnight Special

...I paid $35K for my 390 & couldn't be more pleased! The 4-speeders are going to be very hard to find however. I had one in '79 and let it go w/ serious regret. I paid $2,100 back then... I agree w/ Steve too.

Attachments

• IM002794.JPG
    IM002794.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 33

Mosesatm

I got tired of looking for my perfect car so when I found a decent car I was sure I could live with in case I never found the perfect car I bought it. I certainly haven't regreted it.

I'm still searching though. I do know where there is one that is very, very close to what I'm looking for and who knows, if my wife likes the aqua one I might call it hers and buy the other for me......if it's still available.

Mustanger

Mosesatm said:
I got tired of looking for my perfect car so when I found a decent car I was sure I could live with in case I never found the perfect car I bought it. I certainly haven't regreted it.

I'm still searching though. I do know where there is one that is very, very close to what I'm looking for and who knows, if my wife likes the aqua one I might call it hers and buy the other for me......if it's still available.

That's cool, Arlie!! I know the feeling of trying to find just the right car ... I know, I've been looking for a while myself and had a few missed oppportunities, some were my fault some were not ... oh well.

I'm currently looking at one seriously, and I might be the next owner! We'll see ... maybe, Arlie, you and I can be the next "new owners" of a couple of Cal Specials here soon!!! Good Luck!!

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:

pssssttt

I heard it had a color change.

:tongue:

Perkchiro

Oh no, a color change? Call for an appointment and get Arlie to Dr. Van Quack ASAP!!!

PFSlim

I would have to agree with most everyone on this post. If you have waited 4 years thus far, you deserve an award!!! I would buy the first one that came by that I somewhat liked and then make the changes to make it mine.

We can all sit back and say I wish my car was a 390 car or a 4 speed car. However, every day that I drive mine, I say "cool car" just the way it is and enjoy every second I have in it.

Paul

P

PNewitt

About 85% of all GT/CSs out there have small block (289-302) engines.

It's a personal preference, but I'd hate to see too much of a big-block fever here, to sway people into thinking anything less than an FE is "not desired".

The 289-302 block has quite a history...from formula racing (actually a 260), to drag racing...the 289 Cobra, etc..etc...

So--there is a lot to say about the practicality of having a small block (or six cylinder for that matter). Having a big block is like owning a huge dog. It eats a lot..and it poops a lot....and ya gotta really, really want one! LOL!

Every type of GT/CS has it's values...and followers.

..although the sound of an FE at 6000 RPM is pretty awesome!!

my two bits...

Paul N.
p.s. is this red CS you're looking at--does it have a white vinyl top?

68gt390

When I first inquired about my CS I had no idea what engine was in it. It sat out there on the internet for almost 8 months with no takers. The ad they had posted gave very little info on the car. I finally got in touch with the dealer and that's when I found out it was an "S" code 4 speed car. They also refered me to another site which gave more info on the car. I would of bought the car regardless. I'm just glad it turned out to be a big block.

Don :cool:

csgt428

If memory serves, there were approx 200 big block California Specials produced with 14 ? being 428cj cars. Of these, 120 something were 4-speeds. I agree with the others, buy the smallblock one now and enjoy it since the big block cars are so hard to find and there aren't very many left out there.
I found my S code 4-sp back in 1976. I bought it as a graduation gift to myself for $800. It had a couple of burnt valves which I replaced with used valves from a local junkyard. It ran great for about 2 weeks befor I spun the crank bearings racing up the river road one day. I drove it lurching and barely running into the local junkyard where I sold the 390 to the owner for $75 with him pulling the engine. I traded the body to a friend for a 65 fastback GT with a fresh 289 4V, a 4-sp and pony interior straight across. He wanted that GTCS in the worst way. His wife wrecked it a year later and I bought it back for $400. It has been off the road ever since. I've been collecting parts for it over the years and started restoring it a few years ago. Since the original drivetrain was long gone I decided put a 428cj in front of all those big block parts I'd been collecting over the years. Hang on baby..!!! I'll be driving it by August in the local Hot August Nights car show.

Mustanglvr

Welcome to the site Csgt428! You`re in good company here. Make sure you get lots of pics to post here. Can you post your Marti Report? It would cool to see. Again, WELCOME!!!!!

Mosesatm

csgt428 said:
If memory serves, there were approx 200 big block California Specials produced with 14 ? being 428cj cars.

Pretty close. I think we finally decided on 3 GT/CSs and 9 HCSs for a total of 12.

rvrtrash

Hey CSGT428, glad you finally joined us. I'm the one that emailed you last fall and invited you in. I'm just up the road from you. Email me and lets talk sometime.
Steve

390cs68rcode

csgt428 said:
If memory serves, there were approx 200 big block California Specials produced with 14 ? being 428cj cars. Of these, 120 something were 4-speeds. I agree with the others, buy the smallblock one now and enjoy it since the big block cars are so hard to find and there aren't very many left out there.
I found my S code 4-sp back in 1976. I bought it as a graduation gift to myself for $800. It had a couple of burnt valves which I replaced with used valves from a local junkyard. It ran great for about 2 weeks befor I spun the crank bearings racing up the river road one day. I drove it lurching and barely running into the local junkyard where I sold the 390 to the owner for $75 with him pulling the engine. I traded the body to a friend for a 65 fastback GT with a fresh 289 4V, a 4-sp and pony interior straight across. He wanted that GTCS in the worst way. His wife wrecked it a year later and I bought it back for $400. It has been off the road ever since. I've been collecting parts for it over the years and started restoring it a few years ago. Since the original drivetrain was long gone I decided put a 428cj in front of all those big block parts I'd been collecting over the years. Hang on baby..!!! I'll be driving it by August in the local Hot August Nights car show.

when you have time check this link for some numbers on how many CS's made with what engine:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums...with-what-kind-of-motor-and-transmission.html

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Paul: To answer your question Yes it does have a white vinyl top but the Marti report do not show it. Why do you ask? tried to PM you but your PM file is full.