• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

When a restoration shop just won't finish...

DAR1

Hi all - I am wondering if anyone out there has any good advice for this situation. The shop building my 'Little Red' tribute has promised 30 days until completion now for four years!! I am really far away from the shop and cannot go by and poke them every couple of days with a sharp stick as a good project manager may do...yelling at them from so far away probably makes them feel bad for a couple of hours then it is back to business-as-usual. I don't necessarily think they are bad guys but they just don't finish!
Perhaps this has happened to someone else...
Regards,
"another driving season has passed" Dan

hookedtrout

Have you been to the shop at all to check on the progress in person? If not I would suggest going there unannounced and see what is going on. Don't go in and make a big scene, just slip in and if the car is in pieces and sitting in a corner collecting dust or out back not being worked on leave quietly get a trailer and truck and show back up and demand it is loaded up and then raise cain. I would do what ever it takes at that point to get it out of there before parts are lost, discarded, sold or given away. They obviously don't care or they would honor your requests. A business that does business like that has a good chance of folding and I'd help them on their way.

Hopefully you haven't paid them anything or if you have it's less than what they have accomplished thus far.

If you do elect to leave it there you need to find a local person that can help follow up on the progress, maybe someone from this site, we've proven in the past that we have far reaching fingers in the world of Mustangs so there is probably someone or someone who knows someone that would be willing to swing by and follow up for you. If I was close I'd love to go rattle their chains once in awhile as a representative for you at no charge.

Good luck but I'd be for looking elsewhere.

OP
OP
D

DAR1

I am in Stockholm and the car is in California. I forgot to mention the original estimate four months. When I am back in the states and drop by, there it sits. Lots of excuses lots of promises. They have sent pictures all along the way. Now they have disassembled the car again because they found some paint problems. This must be the 20th time. I don't think they treat everyone like this although there was a '69 convertible that was in at the same time and out last year.
Dan

Midnight Special

Dan, I have been reviewing your posts going back to 2004! It's time for some action! Is the car still in Southern California?

I would be happy to check on things the next time I go there on business, but I'm 500 miles away. Maybe someone closer can chime in. Let's keep in touch!

OP
OP
D

DAR1

Tim,
The car is in Sacramento. When I started out it was a pretty straight forward project. Although some new details uncovered by Paul N. have created a couple of changes still FOUR years!
Dan

HappyHour

Aw dam! Sacramento?!! Thats too close!!

I can just see Tim come tearing up in his big 390 CS (if not sold) and pointingly asking the shop guys where everything is and progress...making mental inventory of the security system and easiest entry point.

Tim I got the black grease paint (off the CS engine block) and my all black outfit...we go at dawn for "operation CS extraction" on your mark! :teleport:

BTW these guys definitely have your car on the backburner. Per other forum's point i would be worried about missing parts and what collateral issues you will have. My guy in SoCal had a couple of Cudas and Chevy for 6-8 months. The only difference was that the work was supposed to take ballpark that much time for the resto mods he was doing.

Midnight Special

Tim,
The car is in Sacramento. When I started out it was a pretty straight forward project. Although some new details uncovered by Paul N. have created a couple of changes still FOUR years!
Dan

Sacramento is easy (56 mi). PM me on how you would like to proceed along with contact info and I will be happy to begin w/ a look-see. You may want to let them know that someone is coming by to shoot photos and give you a progress report. I'm not going to be demanding, rather provide a status report if you want...

Paul Newitt and Ron "clubpro" are also close by and more knowledgeable, but I'm not trying to volunteer them. I'm only saying I can do it if you need me to.

Robert - that's great! I currently don't have enough black 390 grease, but I will by the time we get there ;-))

OP
OP
D

DAR1

Tim,
Thanks a million for the offer. I really didn't want to impose on anyone. I will PM you and we will see if there is a way forward.
and
Thank all of you for your ideas. This site never fails to amaze.
Dan

franklinair

Load that baby on a trailer & send it to me in NC. Winter's coming, and airport traffic slows to zilch. I have a heated & well lit workshop. I'll build it EXACTLY the way you want it!!

Neil

clubpro

Dan,

I would be more than happy to check on your car. I don't have any problem dealing with the people at the shop. Just let me know what you would like to do.

Cheers,

Ron

robert campbell

Dan
I am a good friend with a guy that does Shelby restorations in my area near Seattle, Washington. About a 10-hour drive and he could have the car shipped. Very honest and makes his commitments. He has restored 2 GT/CS cars and numerous Shelby's and knows these cars well. He would go down there and ensure every part in that shop that goes with your car is found. He is well respected across the US for doing premium work at fair prices.

I would almost say he is an asshole in this type of situation. I guarantee you that these guys would be sorry they ever met him.

He will work with you on every detail and build it exactly how you want. From a basic assembly to a full rotisserie job. From concurs correct to modified or whatever.

PM me and I can set you up with a phone call if you like.

Rob

sam

get that car outta there ! I think Neils your man.
Sam

Midnight Special

...Depending on where in Sacramento this shop is - you're in deep shit if all you have is a pistol.

I'm for (first) finding out where the project stands and arming Dan w/ enough info to make a decision. I would then be willing to assist him and/or anyone here to help him get his desired results. They may go ahead and finish it there with some of us checking in... or not, but it will be up to Dan.

rvrtrash

If they know that local people are interested and will talk to others that are potential clients, they might decide to get going on it. Word of mouth can kill a business in a tight knit community like car people. Right now they have no consequences for doing nothing, especially if they already have a good sized chunk of money. I would let them know someone will be checking on progress weekly and taking pictures, or pull the car and take them to small claims court for any money paid for work that was not done.

Steve

aemoo28

That's IT!

I'm lacing up my black 3 inch heeled leather kick @ss boots! I wonder if they've lost your car by now. We have so far... pistols, men, leather boots. Someone bring the trailer!

Let's go get that Special!

Midnight Special

...Easy Amy - Dan already has some rapport here... Diplomacy on his behalf first - Biker buds & big boots if that doesn't work. ;-) No need to cost him alot of extra $$ by jumping to conclusions.

Ron is knowledgeable, Rob is decisive, Steve is logical, Jason is armed and I will just do whatever. We'll keep You in reserve should we need to go "nuclear" ;-)

Doug

Dan
I am a good friend with a guy that does Shelby restorations in my area near Seattle, Washington. About a 10-hour drive and he could have the car shipped. Very honest and makes his commitments. He has restored 2 GT/CS cars and numerous Shelby's and knows these cars well. He would go down there and ensure every part in that shop that goes with your car is found. He is well respected across the US for doing premium work at fair prices.

I would almost say he is an asshole in this type of situation. I guarantee you that these guys would be sorry they ever met him.

He will work with you on every detail and build it exactly how you want. From a basic assembly to a full rotisserie job. From concurs correct to modified or whatever.

PM me and I can set you up with a phone call if you like.

Rob

Rob - just wondering is your Seattle restorer's name Dick? Doug

robert campbell

Doug,
His name is Bob Wolfe. He has been around this site a bit. He is not shy and I guarentee he is honest and fair. He is a member of the Kitsap Mustang Club and has teamed with another member, John Buckbee, to do restorations. Bob is the bad cop and John is the good cop! They do not paint cars, but he has 3 or 4 very reliable painters in the area. And they hate to see him coming after painting a car for a customer. He has more than once forced entire repaints if he is not satisfied. I have helped him with the final tuning on some of the cars. As we speak, Bob and John have 5 cars in various stages and types of restoration. They are very busy!! But they move them right along and the customers are satisfied. Some are full on restorations and others are just repair, engine, interior work.

I think the Dick you mentioned is from Mustang's Northwest. Might be Dick Knight? I remember seeing some of his 69 and 70 Mach one cars. They were very nice.

Rob