• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

wheelhouse mouldings

sam

I've noticed the last 2 California Specials on e-bay
don't appear to have the stainless wheel house mouldings. I have them on my car.......came with it and I purchased new ones when the car was restored 6 years ago. I'm curious if these wheel mouldings were an option or just added to the cars depending on manufacture date. I'm looking at the "California Made it Happen" Ford brochure, and that car doesn't appear to have them either.

.............so are wheel moulding correct?????? Is there a reason why some CalSpecs have them and some don't?

Sam ???

Mosesatm

Neither of my cars have had them. Were they part of another package? Could they have been ordered separately? Would the Mari report show them?

68gt390

You could get your car with or without them. They were part of the "Special Decor Group" or "Sports Trim Group". There were two packages available, one for 6 cylinder cars and another for V-8 models. The package consisted of:

- Woodgrain instrument panel applique
- Knitted vinyl inserts in bucket seats (hardtop and fastback only).
- Bright wheel lip moldings
- Two-Tone hood (requires louvered hood; includes low gloss balck paint stripes on the hood and the cowl - the stripes end inside the hood louvers.
- Argent painted styled steel wheels (V-8 only)
- E70X14 Wide Oval white sidewall tires (V-8 only)

Neither of my cars have them. Not sure if they would show up on the Marti Report or not though.

Don ;D

coloradoHCS

I don't think they were standard. I thought they were part of the GT package or possibly an appearance package. Mine has them but I was told they would not have been there from the factory with my trim level, Mark.

390cs68rcode

exterior decor package maybe? my maroon CS had them when I bought the car. They seemed like Ford parts. Cannot say they were original but if I had to guess I would say they were.

P

PNewitt

They were also a dealer option that you could buy in the parts dept., or have the dealer put them on for you--back in '68.

Lots of owners today put them on to dress up the car. I like seeing them on dark-colored cars, and those with vinyl tops, to match the chrome trim.

It's a personal choice. It wasn't part of the GT/CS option.

Paul N.

@Holmes

Ok, its a yr & 1/2 later but.....

Did the tire ordered with the car, (ie White Sidewall Tires) or tire size, (7.35x 14-4 Ply Rated Tires) result in factory installed wheel lip moldings? I think if the members who have moldings look at the tire type/size in their Marti Reports you will probably see a pattern.