• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What should I do

twoclassics

Well I just can not make up my mind. Do I stay with the console, overhead console, bucket seat look., or return to original shape which would call for finding a front bench seat. If bench seat found found Marti reports car is 1 of 1 with the front bench and diamond blue paint, what do you all think Chuck

bbeatty

The easy answer is do what you like, it's your car.

Myself, I'd stay with the bucket seats and pick up a bench seat for cheap when you can find one just for resell purposes.

The few bench seats I've seen at swap meets are usually cheap for a rare item -around $100 to $125. A bench seat is a great example of where rarity does not equal value.

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

This is a re-occuring question that I hear about a lot.

The simple answer is to do what fits your intentions. In general, only put things on your car that you can change (back to stock) in a day or two at the most.

As time passes, originality seems to be the thing to do. When you see a '55 T-Bird with slotted wheels, and primer spots, what do you think? "Gee, too bad that car isn't original--it would sure stand out with today's cars".

When you drive your Cs in public, you are representing the CS heritage. it makes a greater impression as it was. Yes, I like to promote vintage Shelby parts, but it's a tasteful, and period type of mod.

In the meantime, get any and all parts that make your car complete, whether you plan on letting it go or not. At $30K-49K these days, having those parts might be worth the additional $5-10K to bring it up to those values.

Paul N.

390cs68rcode

make it like it came from the factory. no big hurry, just when the parts come around.

I would love to have bought a bench seat CS, how many of those have you seen or heard about?

Perkchiro

Make it like you want it. Keep the original parts available if you decide to sell in the future. It seems that a quality restoration is the key, no matter if its original or not. If you watch the BJ auctions closely, high dollars go for the quality restorations and restomods as well as for the concours originals. Did you note that the 49K CS was not concours? I agree with Paul, keep the GT/CS heritage alive, but enjoy your car!
Just my rantings and 2 cents.
Steve

BroadwayBlue

Ditto from me!

I've been doing whatever I can to enjoy it now while preserving what I can and saving the original parts. I'm trying to only change things that I can change back to original at some point if I or a future owner decides that's their preference.

Example - I installed a tilt wheel but my original column is in the basement.

R

PFSlim

Got to agree. Our cars are what we love. Our cars are what we enjoy driving. If someone tells us to change them because they are not this or not that, they are not our cars anymore.

I had a guy (a fellow competitor in the same class as me) tell me everything that was not original with my car. I kept telling him that we built the car the way we wanted to. In the end, he said I threw away my money by restoring the car if it was not back to original and I thanking him for stopping by (with a push).

Paul

68gt390

twoclassics said:
Well I just can not make up my mind. Do I stay with the console, overhead console, bucket seat look., or return to original shape which would call for finding a front bench seat. If bench seat found found Marti reports car is 1 of 1 with the front bench and diamond blue paint, what do you all think Chuck

Chuck;
I think you already know my feelings on it. I've had folks from my own local club critisize me for swapping my engine to a 428CJ saying I've de-valued the car. I look at this way. The engine swap still keeps my car period correct. I've made no exterior changes in the car (all original). The only changes inside is the center console, stereo, and mechanical gauges. The new engine will have some mods but again, things that can be changed back. Heck even my sequential tail lights can be changed back (I still have my old flasher unit and bulbs) and with the digital lights I did not have to cut my harness. All of the items I have changed can easily be reversed. I've kept all the original pieces right down to the heat shield and even my old points and condenser. As we've all said many times, what is it that you want out of your car and what are you comfortable with.

Don

Mosesatm

Don, let's place your car on the BJ stand with the 428 then place it there with the 390. I'll bet a year's worth of paychecks that the 428 will sell for a lot more.

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
Don, let's place your car on the BJ stand with the 428 then place it there with the 390. I'll bet a year's worth of paychecks that the 428 will sell for a lot more.

Arlie;
For some reason I tend to agree with you. The engine builder who is helping me put the CJ in the car told me I've added at least triple what the motor cost to the resale value of the car. I don't know how true that is but, I think it will someday sell easier with the 428 in it and for a lot more than with the 390.

Don :grin:

6t8-390gt

Chuck,
Is your L-78 stock or modified? I agree with the majority of the posts here, do what you like, while realizing that a future owner may want to change things back. I like "original" and think the bench seat would be something people would take notice to. With the X-code, bench seat, color combo, and it being a CS you have an extremely rare car.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mosesatm

68gt390 said:
Arlie;
For some reason I tend to agree with you. The engine builder who is helping me put the CJ in the car told me I've added at least triple what the motor cost to the resale value of the car. I don't know how true that is but, I think it will someday sell easier with the 428 in it and for a lot more than with the 390.

Don :grin:

For some reason???!!!:confused: :grin: