• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Sunday morning coffe

joedls

I got up this morning and, as I do alot of Sunday mornings, drove my GT/CS down to Starbucks to get some overpriced coffee for my wife and me. I almost always get comments about my car from someone when I do this. Today, I came out to find a guy checking out my car. We talked about the car for a little bit then he said, "My brother had one just like it, but it was a 2+2." I just smiled. How many times have you guys heard this?

Mustanglvr

Most of what I hear from strangers on the street is "What is that?"

I met a guy who said he used to assemble these cars in California and he proceeded to list off the part numbers for the hood, grill etc.... I wish I`d gotten his name and could have gotten more information from him. I met him back when I first got my car and did`nt think it was important.

Mosesatm

Yesterday a mechanic told me that he just finished restoring one just like mine except it was a convertible.

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Yeah, someone told me that they had seen one as a convertible once.

Another guy said to me, that he had a friend with a California Special, but that it was a 69. The air got pretty thick when I, a 5 ft 1 in. female corrected this 6 ft. burly "good ol boy" about a car in front of his friends. I hated to do it, but I had to set him straight on the information he had. He did`nt believe me and said "well whatever, I know his was a 69 though". lol

Last edited:

sam

Ysterday after topping off my gas tank @ Shell, I pulled out on the road and caught glimpse of a wimbledon white Mustang a few cars ahead of me waiting at the light. Because there were cars ahead of me, I could not tell what year & type of Mustang it was. Needless to say, when the light turned green I was able to get up close and saw a beautiful sight.............it was a 70 Mach 1. ( I'm partial to the Wimbledon white because that is the color of mine). Anyway we both turned on to Rt3 North and took turns pulling up beside each other, giving the "thumbs up" and admiring each others cars. It was a fun experience, and sure would have made a great commercial for vintage Ford Mustangs. We drove on a bit, and I peeled off to drive a beautiful 20 mile run of country road in southern NH. Anyway, a real thrill for me, and great way to end this year'sriving season. Nice Thanksgiving to all.

Sam

Midnight Special

Joe, my wife & I do that at least once a week - we call it "show off" coffee. 'Park out front, sit outside and listen to all the comments... I usually don't elude to being the owner except for getting caught pulling in. It's even more fun owning more than one as someone always pops up with "yeah, some guy's goin' around in a green one" or " I saw a white one the other day" etc...

We went to IHOP this morning and heard a guy say he knows where there's one that has a 409 it it ;-) ... I don't try to correct them, 'just say "thank you" for the nice comments & move on

..I took my daughter Katie to choir practice on Saturday. We pulled up to a large number of high schoolers out front of her school. One boy ran out behind my car and yelled "it's a f-----g Shelby!!!!

Katie often gets embarrassed on days I take her to school because some of the boys she says ordinarily wouldn't give her time of day now swoon all over her ;-)

Last edited:

hotrodgrany

Midnight Special said:
Joe, my wife & I do that at least once a week - we call it "show off" coffee. 'Park out front, sit outside and listen to all the comments... I usually don't elude to being the owner except for getting caught pulling in. It's even more fun owning more than one as someone always pops up with "yeah, some guy's goin' around in a green one" or " I saw a white one the other day" etc...

We went to IHOP this morning and heard a guy say he knows where there's one that has a 409 it it ;-) ... I don't try to correct them, 'just say "thank you" for the nice comments & move on

..I took my daughter Katie to choir practice on Saturday. We pulled up to a large number of high schoolers out front of her school. One boy ran out behind my car and yelled "it's a f-----g Shelby!!!!

Katie often gets embarrassed on days I take her to school because some of the boys she says ordinarily wouldn't give her time of day now swoon all over her ;-)
I here you all about your older California Specials, But me owning one of the new ones, is a head turner,and when my Grandson drove into the driveway of his friends, you should have seen the look on his face, and after taking a look under the hood, need I tell you more., but when I told my Grandson punch it, that cinched for him.No imberriment here. I wished I was a little mouse in my Grandson's school the next day. All my Grandson can say I would like to show those with other kinds of cars, what his Grandma has in her new 07 GT/CS.

Mosesatm

Picked up a friend at the airport yesterday then we met my wife at our local Chili's for lunch. Steve and I got there 1st in the Mustang so we parked and went inside to get a table. Barb arrived a little later and told us that when she got to the parking lot she saw 3 Texas good-ol-boys in a truck slam on their brakes and bail out of their truck (leaving the truck running in the middle of the driving lane), right in front of the Mustang. She wasn't sure what they had in mind but she said all they did was walk over the to car and swoon over it. She was getting a kick out seeing those 35 year old men behave like 16 year olds so she watched them until they left.

I wish she had walked up to them and told them that she was the owner of the car. That would have floored them!

Of course there is a huge ego element in why we own our cars (whether we want to admit it or not) and I am proud to strut around in my GT/CS but more than that I like to see how happy the car makes other people. It just makes their day. Kind of like seeing Elvis or Bigfoot.

Midnight Special

hotrodgrany said:
I here you all about your older California Specials, But me owning one of the new ones, is a head turner,and when my Grandson drove into the driveway of his friends, you should have seen the look on his face, and after taking a look under the hood, need I tell you more., but when I told my Grandson punch it, that cinched for him.No imberriment here. I wished I was a little mouse in my Grandson's school the next day. All my Grandson can say I would like to show those with other kinds of cars, what his Grandma has in her new 07 GT/CS.

...HG, he's very lucky to have a "cool" Granny like you! I was just sitting here for a moment trying to imagine my grandmother posed w/ the likes of Chip Foose along side her 4-door Chevy Nova or their '70 Jeep Wagoneer... A staunch Catholic - My grandmother was to be feared! ;-) :)

I have to disagree with Arlie tho... I don't have an "ego".
...I mean - I used to, but...
I've noticed I have gotten alot better about that - in fact, probably better than most! ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
joedls

joedls

Mosesatm said:
Of course there is a huge ego element in why we own our cars (whether we want to admit it or not)

I don't have any problem admitting it. I am thrilled whenever my car gets the attention it gets.

Diesel Donna

Yesterday I had to take my CS in to a shop to get a slow leak fixed in a tire. I had seen the nail in the tread.:sad:
The guy is writing me up...asks a million stupid questions....like what size engine~I said what does that have to do with fixing a flat tire? He says it is so when I bring my car back for other work (not happenin' :icon_no:) they know what size it is. Um~Duh. He asked the color of the car. I said Green, he wrote in light blue. I guess that's so they know the color of the car when I bring it back in again. :rolleyes: :icon_bore
We walk out to the said green/light blue car and he loves it. Tells me his Grandpa had a 63 1/2 Mustang...oh really? I said. :eek: Then he tells me grandpa had a lot of Mustangs and every one of them was a coupe and had the quarter window (uh huh) and then a window BEHIND that! Every one of his Mustangs, yep.Oh yes like a port hole window. I started to explain....:rolleyes:
Now this guy is my age. Surely he knows better than this...and in the car repair business....:rolleyes:
Then we have to go through the owners manual to see what torque should be applied to the lug nuts when they are put back on. (Company policy) It's not in there. So they call around and find the proper torque. 100 pounds. Okay. Now we can proceed. Good grief! I can break the tire down myself and patch/plug it if had the machine. Torque? For Pete's sake..."armstrong torque" works for me.:rolleyes:
The manager tells me that the mechanic is emptying his pockets of everything in order not to scratch my car with anything at all. I appreciate this.
The young buck at the desk loves my car, asks if he can take some cell phone pictures of it. He tells me if he was the boss he wouldn't even charge me to fix the tire.I appreciate his thinking this.
Now I'm trying to pay my bill and leave. (Almost an hour and a half later)The man who changed the tire comes in and shows me all the plastic and paper stuff he used to cover the interior with. I appreciate this. Then he tells me this is the first time he has ever wrapped his tools in electrical tape to work on a car. I appreciate this. I'm actually trying not to laugh.
I do try to give the man a generous tip, but he refuses. He said it was a pleasure to work on my car!!
Whew!! All I wanted was a flat tire fixed.

~~~~Donna

Midnight Special

;-) ;-) Imagine if you went into a shop (last August) when your power steering blew DD. You'ld still be sitting in a lobby somewhere south of Fresno! But Man! - the education you would've recieved on "1950's Mustangs!"

Mustanglvr

Now, now guys, you have to realize that some people don`t know Mustangs like we do. Alot of them don`t think about them at all. I can`t believe that!

Diesel Donna

Yeah I wish I could remember the other dumbass remark they made...there were so many I was getting worn out!

Oh yes, he asked me which tire was having the slow leak. I said it was the left rear. He says...."Is that the driver's side?"
AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!! :frust: I guess he's used to people who don't know right from left on a car. So now he's gonna explain it to me...I said I KNOW! It's still the left rear!

Last edited:

CALIF GIRL

At least they didn't tell you the air in all the other tires was stale and needed to be changed...

Diesel Donna

CALIF GIRL said:
At least they didn't tell you the air in all the other tires was stale and needed to be changed...

Now then I would have had to leave.....