• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 STOLEN SPECIAL... recovered within 1 hour

Ruppstang

Scott did you ever figure out where the dipstick went? I don't think it could come out with the hood down. Do you know how they got in to and started the car? Marty

OP
OP
S

Scott

Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying Marty,

Have been trying to figure it out. Have heard many and varied theories on how they got the car started. Latest theory: with the ignition barrel smashed, alarm disabled (done from under the hood it seems) and the car not starting they shorted the battery direct to the starter wtih the dipstick. What do you think?

Made me want to find the thread about locking the hood somehow but can't find the one I'm after... did someone put up some instructions on fitting a cabinet lock to the hood release or am I imagining it?

Here's progress so far anyway: Diff back in after reconditioning (didn't look too bad), Front suspension rebuilt (see pics), wheels still not ready and tires hard to find in the right size out here. Hood pin on order from branda and paint arrived.

Attachments

• frame & oil pan.jpg
    frame & oil pan.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 37
  • front suspension.jpg
    front suspension.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 36

Ruppstang

Those darn brats sure messed up your fun for a while. Glad to see that it is back on the road to recovery. After the November solenoid failer that wrecked our 67 coupe, I know a lot more about how that all works. I think they either used the dipstick to unlock the door or jump the battery to the solenoid. The soilenids post closest to the radiator makes the starter turn and the one back of it sends 12v to the coil. So it is real easy to get one to run. Marty

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 35

franklinair

Scott;
I have a friend that devised a simple but effective means to lock the hood. I'll contact him, get the info, and forward it to you (plus anyone on our site that may be interested)

Neil

PS
I had designed & built an alarm activated by the interior light switch (door switch) that connected to the horns, and could not be turned off except by the person that knows where the arming switch is located. If you would be interested.

OP
OP
S

Scott

Thank you Marty,

That proves the theory and makes me feel better to know... how is your silver 67? can remember this happening and the garage door getting fixed, but the can't remember what happened to your car?

Ruppstang

Thank you Marty,

That proves the theory and makes me feel better to know... how is your silver 67? can remember this happening and the garage door getting fixed, but the can't remember what happened to your car?

The body shop owners nephew wanted it so when the insurance setteled I sold it. Not the way I wanted to part with it but it gave me the funds to get the HCS restoration started. I was hooking up the battery and the solenoid had welded internally so it cranked up and started. You can bet when I work on manual car in the future they will be chocked and in neutral! Marty

OP
OP
S

Scott

Mechanical as well as panel work now complete. As soon as the black 351 DeTomaso Pantera is out of the spray booth the special is in!!!

Looks like we'll be reunited at the end of next week!