• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Shipping an engine

di81977

I need to ship an engine. Looking for recommendations on how to get it ready for the shipper. I figure I need to:

Get a pallet
Build up a stand to support the engine and clear the oil pan
Tie down the engine to the pallet
Shrink wrap

Couple of questions:

How should I build up the pallet? Use 1x8's? What about fluids (oil), should I drain? How about straps? Should I buy ratchet straps or something else?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

thanks
David

somethingspecial

When I have shipped engines, I built an wood stand for the engine that looked like a Roman numeral 2 simular to # I used an old oil pan for a pattern so the oil pan sat down inside the stand. The engine will sit on the heads of the Oil pan bolts and not damage the oil pan flange. Screw the stand to the pallet so the engine won't shift on the pallet. You can probably go to any company that uses pallets and ask if you can pilfer one from their stack. For the cost of a couple ATV straps from a bike shop or auto parts store, it is part of the cost of shipping an engine, and will probably insure it will not tip over. Just my experience. Mike

CougarCJ

Forwardair.com is the lowest price, they have drop off and pickup terminals near most major airports.

We use them for most all of our crated items, including engines.

OP
OP
di81977

di81977

Thanks for the reply guys. What about keeping the oil in the engine...any issues?

Sold the car, it is heading to Canada this weekend. Might be the only HCS in Canada, not sure.

David

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Forwardair.com is the lowest price, they have drop off and pickup terminals near most major airports.

We use them for most all of our crated items, including engines.
I've heard ForwardAir is pretty good too.

You might compare prices with http://www.saia.com I had a fully welded roll cage for my Bronco shipped a few states over and the cost wasn't too bad.

I would definitely drain the oil. And probably use compressed air to blow out any remaining coolant too.