• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Road Trip Weirdness

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Naw...driving the work truck, 18 wheeler, so I will be the last person getting to Gilroy. You know how it is...zero to 60 in fifteen minutes. But once I have 'er wound up...look out! :grin:

Arlie wanna go to the bay area?

Not if it's Monday. That day I plan on driving to a few lakes up here to find a good backdrop for the 2009 CS calendar cover photo. :wink:

Check out the recent fire damage near Omak. My sister's house is on the left.

Attachments

• Cates Small.jpg
    Cates Small.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

On Thursday I was driving South on 97 between Tonasket and Omak. I had already driven 2700 miles and was only 30 miles from my destination. There were 4 cars in a line in front of me with a Washington state trooper in the #2 spot. He suddenly pulled over to the right and tucked in behind me! WTH! I wasn't speeding and have all my tags up to date so what was he doing? (I'm sure Marion already knows what he was up to!)

So he then backed off about 100 yards and we all cruised along until someone driving a new Buick came blasting past us. Busted! The trooper hit the lights, flipped around and pulled the guy over in a flash.

I'm not sure if the trooper had tagged the Buick when the trooper was hidden in our little convoy, then pulled behind all of us so he could make his capture (that seems like a long shot for his radar), or if he used me as a decoy because the driver of the Buick was looking straight at my car when he passed and obviously didn't notice the trooper's car behind me.

Either way it was some smart troopering. Just a friendly warning, don't speed in Washington State.

Last edited:

joedls

I don't know about anyone else, but I for one am very envious. A road trip in a classic GT/CS sounds like a blast.

HappyHour

Not to mention all the stories from the road...its like a reality show...."Adventures of Arlie and his California Special".

Best party we dont need to DVR em. :wink:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Spent some time with Bob (Hicountrybob) and Gary (19HCS68) today in Denver.

Bob had 2 of his cars at his house when I got there; the maroon 4-speed C-code GT/CS and the Highland Green, only-one-ever-built, X-code HCS. Both are gorgeous cars. Didn't get to see the R-code HCS. Maybe on the next trip. I did get to see the inner workings of the HCS registry, though. Bob swore me to secrecy but I can say that we're talking about some state-of-the-art recordkeeping!

Gary and I went for a spin (between rain showers) in his beautiful Candyapple Red C-code HCS. When we pulled into a parking lot to switch seats so I could drive the car a woman pulled next to us, nearly cutting us off, saying something about how her husband's 40th birthday is coming up and how Gary's car would be the perfect present for him. Wow, talk about a wonderful, caring, and loving wife!

It looks like I need to get my car painted before next year's trip. Either that or I need to visit people with cars that aren't as nice as Steve's, Bob's, and Gary's.:undecided

Bob and Gary thanks for taking the time to show me your wonderful vehicles.

Diesel Donna

I just got home tonight...was cruising by Milpitas yesterday afternoon and looked wistfully over at the mall and all the big box stores that stand where the Ford plant once did.

I love your stories Arlie. Keep them coming and be safe. If you came here I promise your paint would look better than mine.

aemoo28

I can't WAIT to drive from Southern California to Northern Washington State. I hope to see ya'll on the road somewhere in between. I'll post the 2 days I'll be GT/CS-ing home in my new black with gold stripes '68.

Arlie, will you still be on the road in mid-late August?

rvrtrash

It looks like I need to get my car painted before next year's trip. Either that or I need to visit people with cars that aren't as nice as Steve's, Bob's, and Gary's.:undecided

I'm not sure what you're talking about Arlie. Your car looked nice to me, and my shop is full of cars that need paint----and mechanical work----and body work----and, and, and......

You're like the roaming gnome with all the states you've hit. We should've been taking pictures of you in front of cars everywhere you went and posted them on the site! Dang, I wish I would've thought of it sooner!

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Snip...... We should've been taking pictures of you.....Snip

Ha, not a chance in hell!!!:icon_no:

In fact, someone recently tried that on this trip........once.

Von Quack still has some work to do.

Besides, my avatar is close-enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I just got home tonight...was cruising by Milpitas yesterday afternoon and looked wistfully over at the mall and all the big box stores that stand where the Ford plant once did.

I love your stories Arlie. Keep them coming and be safe. If you came here I promise your paint would look better than mine.

OK Donna, next year it's a trip to your house so we can compare paint chips!

Mustanglvr

Ha, not a chance in hell!!!:icon_no:

In fact, someone recently tried that on this trip........once.

Von Quack still has some work to do.

Besides, my avatar is close-enough.

You`re avatar is great Arlie, you`ve got such large piercing eyes and strong chin, lol.

rvrtrash

...I take it that you're home! Congratulations on a great trip Arlie. I'm going to go rent & watch "Canonball Run" now in your honor!

;-))

You know, Arlie and I talked a little about that movie when he was here. What a coincidence! :cool:

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Some poignant roadtrip observations.

It is not possible to tan both arms equally while driving

When driving in shorts left legs also tend to burn

Vinyl does not absorb moisture of any type

Leaving an unopened bag of trail mix in the car all day creates a mushy 3 pound blob of various food items stuck in chocolate

Taking that bag into a cool hotel room creates a hard block of various food items stuck in chocolate

Driving towards a hurricane does not seem overly intelligent

Do not work on a hot car in a hot parking lot after driving for 12 hours in hot weather. Just trust me on this one.

Awful noises are usually just the car getting settled in for the long haul

It is possible to live on Almond M&Ms, Diet Mt Dew, and Tostitos

If you can reach the light switch your shoulder harness isn’t tight enough

It is possible to raise the passenger window from the driver’s seat, but not quickly or safely. It is especially tricky attempting such a feat when the knob breaks off

Take extra window knobs

Carbureted engines don’t like temperature and altitude changes

The fastest route may not be the best route, AKA take the highways instead of the interstates

Montana is extremely Wiiiiiiide

Sioux Falls is a wonderful city

The road from Cheyenne to Denver is ALWAYS under construction

To stay awake when feeling drowsy sing out loud to the road songs.

iPod

When traveling through small towns wave to everyone, most of them will wave back

It should be legal to shoot people who admire our cars by driving in the blind spot

If your plan is to leave at sunrise and drive East the plan should be tweaked

Driving down an idiot brother’s mile-long washboard dirt driveway apparently removes wheel weights from 10-spokes, which won’t be noticed until reaching 74mph on the interstate. It also won’t be noticed that the same idiot brother forgot to return your ½” drive breaker bar until a 10-spoke needs to be removed to tighten a wheel bearing.

There is an auto parts store across the street from the Spring Hill Suites, in Billings.

Spring Hill Suites are great hotels

When replacing wheel bearings make sure the inner races are firmly set against the hubs.

Make side trips to visit other GT/CS and HCS owners.

Bugs eventually wash off paint, except for those mutant yellow acid-filled alien creatures

The first bug splatter on a clean windshield is always right in front of the driver’s nose

Dragonflies make huge windshield splatters

Rounding a corner and seeing a deer in the middle of the road is an exciting experience, but it pales in comparison to rounding a corner a half hour later and seeing a cow standing in the road.

There is a big honkin’ statue on a mountain just outside of Butte, Montana.
http://www.ourladyoftherockies.com/

Most Chevy pickup drivers will not acknowledge the existence of GT/CSs, even when their passengers jump up and down on the seat, beat on the drivers’ arm, and point

Front vent windows are wonderful inventions

’68 Mustang inner door handles and seat belts mystify some people to the point of amusement

Last edited:

Diesel Donna

I couldn't have said it better!!! Hahahaaa what a HOOT you are Arlie!! I can relate to all of that....especially my road trip from NY to CA in my un-air conditioned ambulance in the month of June. I always keep a journal of my trips. I should dig out the one with the CS from 1980 something. I drove it from Tucson, AZ to NYC. Then throw in a couple of Tucson to Grand Island, Nebraska trips. Broke down in a rest area in New Mexico.....
Ahhhhhhhhh, my vacation started today when I got off work. Actually going to a car show tomorrow...my first one since Galpin/Knott's!
Glad you got home safe and sound Arlie. Sounds like you had a great time ...would have been too boring without all the incidents! That's what a road trip is all about!