• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS & HCS stripe decal kits? Any favorite vendors?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm looking at stripe kits and there are a few different suppliers that the major Mustang shops carry, and pricing is all over the place, so hard to judge quality. Anyone have experience with any of them?

NPD sells kits by "Decal Magic" for $128 - https://www.npdlink.com/product/stripe-set-gtcs-white-reflective/215762
Tony Branda sells one for $65 (no supplier name listed) - https://store.cobranda.com/19mugtcaspst1.html
CJ Pony Parts sells kits by "Graphic Express" for $142 - https://www.cjponyparts.com/graphic-express-stripe-kit-gt-california-special-1968/p/SKCS1-V/
(although looks like you can get them from Graphic Express directly for almost half that price: https://graphic-express.com/product...ecial-stripe-decal-kit?variant=31404184043619

Mosesatm

We’ve talked about some guy that makes the stripes who everyone said was the best, but I can’t remember his name. One of the other old timers may know.

Edit:
This is from one of Neil’s earlier posts, so that is probably who we discussed.
Graphic Express
965 US 41
Inverness, FL 34450
Tel: 352-341-0077

franklinair

They were excellent to deal with, but I don't remember the price. I wanted a Gold stripe (not correct for GT/CS but they took care of it for me). A couple of years later I needed just the GT/CS for a side scoop, and he made it for me. Other suppliers will only sell a complete kit.

Neil
DSC_7251b.jpg

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. I'll go direct to Graphic Express then.

Did you all install the decals yourself or have your paint shop do it?

Are the decals sticky-backed like stickers? Or like scale model kits where you soak in water and they transfer off the paper backing?

Mosesatm

Sticky-backed. They aren't difficult to install as long as you're methodical. I slice the backing in the centers of the stripes and work one side, then the other, from the center. An LED laser helps. Some people use soapy water, then press out the water. I prefer installing them dry.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I just watched a Youtube video of someone installing 'C' stripe decals on a '68, so I understand a bit better now. They used the soapy water method, but then used a heat gun to dry it out. On brand new paint?!? :eek: I think I'll stick with your dry method Arlie. :)

TexDan

Graphic Express supplies detailed instructions for installation. I followed them and they turned out great. They are very specific about cleaning with undiluted naphtha and using Dawn Original for the wetting solution.

Attachments

• IMG_7438.JPG
    IMG_7438.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7439.JPG
    IMG_7439.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 13

Ruppstang

I would highly recommend the soap and water method. You do not have to dry with a heat gun, just get the bubbles out and air dry. Or a hair dryer if you are impatient.

franklinair

I utilized the CS Recognition Guide for the measurement & position of the stripes, a laser to make sure everything was level & straight, and Graphic Express procedures (wet) to install the striping & graphics on the side scoops. The trunk was a little tricky due to its curvature. (I botched the first one and Graphic Express sent me another one.) I used my VISA card to squeegee the air bubbles & water from the stripes.
It's kind of a tedious, but do-able process.

Neil

PS:
I ordered Gold striping which is not correct for the '68 GT/CS.

Attachments

• DSC_7253b.jpg
    DSC_7253b.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_7257b.jpg
    DSC_7257b.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I just realized that none of these kits will have the correct side scoop stripe for me since I have an HCS, not a GT/CS. I wonder if I can just buy a few extra feet of the stripe material. (I already have the HCS decals from the Teets family)

Ruppstang

The tricky part of the HCS scoop is cutting out the stripe so the HCS decal fit perfectly in it. Jon as you know the original HCS scoop decal was one piece stripe and emblem.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I emailed Graphic Express and got a very quick reply that they sell a separate stripe kit specifically for the '68 HCS, so that solves my problem of trying to get extra stripe material for the scoops.

They also sell the HCS scoop bage decals. Again, I already have mine from the Teets family, but I didn't know anyone else made these.