• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gotta feel sorry for the kids of today

Diesel Donna

Lord have mercy! I like everything that everyone listed and even love some of Steve's titles. Corey Stevens, SRV,Clapton (mentioned before) Coco Montoya, B.B.King, Susan Tedeschi, Bonnie Raitt, Kenny Wayne Shepard, I LOVE THE BLUES! And not the crying in your beer blues...the belly rubbin' blues! YEEEEHAW!

Southern Rock RULES! Charlie Daniels Band, Allman Bros., Lynyrd Skynryd, ooooooohhhhh and then don't get me started on George Strait and Chris LeDoux. Hot dog!

Okay are you guys ready for this? Don't mess with my funky disco!! God Bless the 70's and 80's!!! Hahahaaaaaa!

I guess it's easier to say what I don't like! Opera and rap. ROCK ON! :grin:

~~~~Donna
Sheesh, I almost forgot The Doors.

Last edited:

Diesel Donna

68gt390 said:
Steve;
I remember listening to a lot of Frank Zappa's albums.

Don :rolleyes:

Zappa? Did someone say ZAPPA?? Hummmmm...:icon_heyb Only Frank would name his kids Moon Unit and Dweezil.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Diesel Donna said:
Zappa? Did someone say ZAPPA?? Hummmmm...:icon_heyb Only Frank would name his kids Moon Unit and Dweezil.

And his grave is unmarked.

68gt390

Diesel Donna said:

:thumb: Some of us are very familiar with several of his songs!!!! :teleport:

Don

PFSlim

Great thread!!! i think alot about these songs as I am driving the GT/CS with my orignial AM Philco radio that I never turn on. I would much rather listen to the music in my head.

My brother (PB GT/CS) used to listed to those late 60's and early 70's songs in his car when he take me for a ride. What cool tunes. Then, the last 70's early 80's were my deal. I completely wore out at least one 8 track of Meatloaf and one cassette.

Oh yes, the memories.

Paul

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Forgot about one of the best songs of all time. "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes!!!!!!!

Or how about "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band?

Mustanglvr

So who liked Meatloafs performance in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"? I thought it was awesome. My husband and I love that movie.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Never seen it. I know, I know, I'm probably the only baby boomer in the world that hasn't seen that movie.

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Mosesatm said:
Never seen it. I know, I know, I'm probably the only baby boomer in the world that hasn't seen that movie.

:icon_mist :rollout:

Last edited:

mmarsalone

Another artist that kinda fits in with Gary Wright is............. Al Stewart - The Year of the Cat. That's another great album.

I don't think Harry Chapin or Jim Croce have been metioned yet. Good story tellers.

I have a 9 year old son and two daughter's, 6 and 1 1/2. There's a song that came out I think in the 90s called Butterfly Kisses. It's about a man's daughter growing up and getting married. I put Harry Chapin's, Cat's in the Cradle, then Butterfly Kisses on a CD I made for my wife. It get's her crying every time. I have to say, I don't care how "Macho" you are, if you have a daughter, this song will really get to you.

And who could forget Michael Martin Murphy - Wildfire. I'm sure Rhonda knows that one.

mmarsalone

Okay, noticed that Chapin had been mentioned before, but for a different song. Sorry.

I was checking to see if 10cc had been mentioned yet. What's their name from?:grin: Songs are " I'm not in love" and " The things we do for love".

I also did not see, Sweet. Do you remember " Fox on the Run" and Ballroom Blitz".

Okay, one more. Not quite as old. The Knack, "My Sherona" and "Good Girls Don't". Go back and really listen to the words in "Good Girls Don't". It's very funny and well risque.

BroadwayBlue

Wow - flashbacks to sitting and playing my guitars to all those songs Mike mentioned.

Year of the Cat is an awesome song - especially the extended intro version.
Always remember when my older brother got a "real" stereo and I would put that on and crank it up. Still do to this day.

America was another group - they're actually playing at a local theater here tonight.

All of the songs that have been mentioned I probably own in one format or another - and that was BEFORE I became a DJ in my past life.

My brother and sister are both older than me by 11 and 8 years respectively.

From my brother's influence I would listen to his 8-tracks growing up - I remember he mounted an 8-track on the hump of his early 70's Torino -that was cool especially that it had a fast forward!! You didn't have that in those days - remember shaking the 8-tracks to loosen them up? He got me listening to Creedence, Humble Pie (Peter Frampton on Guitar and Vocals for those that didn't know), Yes, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep (don't ask), T-Rex, Elton John (the old stuff), Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, BTO, etc ...
He got me hooked on cars too - He bought a new car every 1.5-2 years - 70 Opel, 72 Maverick Grabber, 74 Torino, 76 Z-28, 78 280-Z, etc ... then he got married and had kids - Accord, Accord, Accord, Minivan, Acura :smile:

From my sister I got the bubble gum poppy stuff listening to her 45's - Paul Revere and the Raiders, Monkees, Beatles (actually I got some from both of them on this one), Bobby Sherman, Rascals, Foundations, Four Seasons, Gilbert O'Sullivan, and lot's of one-hit wonders (Redbone "Come and Get Your Love"), Precious and Few (Climax I think), all the K-tel type stuff too - does anyone remember K-tel records?

Then from my youngest uncle I got the 50's-60's doo-wop sound.

So I listen to it all - I guess that's what made the playing guitar and singing in a band and then dj-ing come so easy.

I was listening to this stuff: Police, KISS, Billy Joel, Foreigner, Beatles (again) and their solo stuff, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Squeeze, Queen, STYX, Cream/Clapton, Doobie Brothers, U2, Asia, Billy Squire, Aerosmith, Eagles, Rush... forget it I'll go on and on. I'm all over the place with music

Any Barenaked Ladies fans out there?

See - this is why I held back from replying to this thread I knew I couldn't hold back.

I'd be curious to see a thread on what concerts we've seen ... you'd be shocked at my diversity.

R

Last edited:

mmarsalone

BroadwayBlue said:
I'd be curious to see a thread on what concerts we've seen ... you'd be shocked at my diversity.

R

The two bands I've seen the most in concert are The Dead Milkmen and the Hoodoo Gurus. The Milkmen used to play in DC a lot when I lived there, they're a Philly band so they were close. I even caught them home in New Orleans at Tipatina's one night.

I've just always loved the Hoodoo Gurus and would catch them whenever they played near to me.

I guess I'm pretty diverse too. I listen to everything except country and rap..........and these new American Idol type people.