• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Distributor

JohnnyQuest515

I am dwelling :icon_ecst( get it ) on buying either a Petronix point replacement or a stand alone distributor.

What did you guys do? Also understand a new coil is in order.

Thanks, Randy

PS- anyone see that shootout on HotRod TV about the spark plug test? Anyone using any of those fancy new plugs?

gofastguy

I wonder if there may be some trick to getting the 390's to run with these. The fellow I aquired our car from told me that he had tried two separate Pertronix(sp?) units and could not get it to run smoothly at higher rpm's.

rvrtrash

I wonder if there may be some trick to getting the 390's to run with these. The fellow I aquired our car from told me that he had tried two separate Pertronix(sp?) units and could not get it to run smoothly at higher rpm's.

I installed a factory electronic ignition distributor, coil and control box from a '75 truck in the 390 '69 XL convertible I sold a few years back. It ran fine. I just had to make up a small wiring harness to hook everything together.

Steve

robert campbell

I ran a Pertronix conversion in the two 302's I had in my J code car. They were maintenance free and smooth as silk. I would expect that they would work great with a 390 or any engine.

You should (must) buy the Pertronix coil. I had a Mallory coil on my 302 when I first changed to the Pertronix conversion. I promptly burned up 2 Pertronix units. Fortunately Summit Racing took pity on my stupidity! The OHMS of resistance in a Mallory coil was much higher than the Pertronix coil. Help Steve!! Anyway the distributor unit got very hot and failed. After the Pertronix coil installation, I had no problems for nearly 20 years.

Rob

Timmknz

Flamethrower II

I put this unit in my 289 and it has been absolutely trouble free ever since! I was able to install platinum plugs gapped out to.047, huge spark!
(UGGGH Timmy like fire!!!)
The only drawback is it is huge and looks like a chevy with the integrated coil
Oh well...
Tim

franklinair

I put the Pertronix in both of my 302's. E-Z install, and works great. (get the matching coil) I see no reason why the Pertronix wouldn't work on a 390. Nothing exotic about it.

I even disguised the coil to look original: Remove the Pertronix label, mask & paint the top of the coil yellow (John Deere Yellow is perfect) and voila', you've got the appearance of the old Mustard Top factory coil!!

Neil

CougarCJ

I installed a factory electronic ignition distributor, coil and control box from a '75 truck in the 390 '69 XL convertible I sold a few years back. It ran fine. I just had to make up a small wiring harness to hook everything together.

Steve

That is called a Ford Duraspark system.

J.Bart

I ran a Pertronix conversion in the two 302's I had in my J code car. They were maintenance free and smooth as silk. I would expect that they would work great with a 390 or any engine.

You should (must) buy the Pertronix coil. I had a Mallory coil on my 302 when I first changed to the Pertronix conversion. I promptly burned up 2 Pertronix units. Fortunately Summit Racing took pity on my stupidity! The OHMS of resistance in a Mallory coil was much higher than the Pertronix coil. Help Steve!! Anyway the distributor unit got very hot and failed. After the Pertronix coil installation, I had no problems for nearly 20 years.

Rob

so that's the trick. i always heard " buy two put the spare in the glove box"
i have used the duraspark pickup in the dist. with the msd ignition box.
seems to work fine.

teamlo

I have the standard Pertronix Ignitor module in my '68 J-code 302. The Pertronix coil I bought is too long to fit in the factory position on top of the intake manifold (interferes with the carburetor). Right now I am running an original 1968 yellow top coil. No problems yet.

Terry

CALIF GIRL

I put in the stand alone type distributor, It was large and I did not like the looks.
I took it out and put in the Petronix and love it.